Hello ! I want to know if the use of the BB Messenger is Free when I am connecting from other countries ?? and what about the emails ?

thanks a lot !
    08-25-10 11:28 AM
    What phone do you have?
    What carrier do you have?
    Will you be on an International Data Plan when you're wanting to use BBM?
    08-25-10 11:31 AM
    I am asking of Movistar Venezuela ! blackberry bold !
    if the owner of the this bb (movistar venezuela) pay
    for BBM ?? when he is exemple in USA or other country ?
    08-25-10 11:34 AM
    You have to pay roaming charges, but I heard that if you connect to a WiFi spot, then turn off the antenna (but not the WiFi signal) you would be able to use BBM free of charge. But with the downside that you need to be in a WiFi covered area.
    08-25-10 11:36 AM
    With wifi it is free.
    If you use international data then no.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-10 11:38 AM
    But the BBm isnt a Free service ???

and if we only receive messages from other contacts when we are in other country, we have to pay ?
    08-25-10 12:55 PM
    But the BBm isnt a Free service ???

and if we only receive messages from other contacts when we are in other country, we have to pay ?
    As long as you are subscribed to a BIS data plan then it is "free"

And when you travel abroad, turn off data roaming and use wi-fi for internet connectivity, that way you can chat all you want on BBM and not get hit with roaming charges.
    08-25-10 01:00 PM
    What phone do you have?
    What carrier do you have?
    Will you be on an International Data Plan when you're wanting to use BBM?
    I have a Blackberry Curve 8620 smartphone from Fido (Canada)

It has a data plan with unlimited texting and unlimited social networking (facebook and twitter)...am I ok to msg ppl abroad using bbm? As in ppl outside of the country?? Thanks!
    09-12-10 11:09 AM
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but generally if you are outside of your cell phone network you will be charged for data and roaming. By turning off your phone's radio (or network connection) you are no longer using your service provider's network and can't be charged for data and roaming. Using your Wi-Fi connection eliminates any service charges from your cell phone company.
    09-12-10 11:23 AM
    There are two sides to this.

The first is BBM. As long as you have a data plan, BBM is free, no matter where you are. You can communicate with anyone (who has a BlackBerry) anywhere in the world.

The second part is the data. You have to connect to RIM's servers over a carrier's network. When in your coverage area, that is covered by whatever plan you have with the carrier. If you go outside the carrier's coverage, then you may have to pay roaming fees. If you leave your country, you are more than likely roaming on another company's network. So, you end up paying for the data transferred through their network (you're not paying additional to access BBM, just the network connection through the carrier). Some companies have international data roaming plans. Otherwise, you end up paying per KB/MB/GB.....
    09-12-10 11:29 AM
    There are two sides to this.

The first is BBM. As long as you have a data plan, BBM is free, no matter where you are. You can communicate with anyone (who has a BlackBerry) anywhere in the world.

The second part is the data. You have to connect to RIM's servers over a carrier's network. When in your coverage area, that is covered by whatever plan you have with the carrier. If you go outside the carrier's coverage, then you may have to pay roaming fees. If you leave your country, you are more than likely roaming on another company's network. So, you end up paying for the data transferred through their network (you're not paying additional to access BBM, just the network connection through the carrier). Some companies have international data roaming plans. Otherwise, you end up paying per KB/MB/GB.....
    Well said! Thanks!
    09-12-10 12:25 PM
    How do you disable the data roaming signal without disabling the entire network? Say I want to disable data roaming, but I want voice roaming to still work in case of an emergency call. So that you end up using wifi for data(bbm) and regular voice roaming on the phone.

Also to those interested in data roaming, carriers usually have data roaming add-ons you can add for a month on your plan to get better roaming rates. Many use those plans for simple data browsing or tethering.
    09-12-10 04:58 PM
    How do you disable the data roaming signal without disabling the entire network? Say I want to disable data roaming, but I want voice roaming to still work in case of an emergency call. So that you end up using wifi for data(bbm) and regular voice roaming on the phone.

Also to those interested in data roaming, carriers usually have data roaming add-ons you can add for a month on your plan to get better roaming rates. Many use those plans for simple data browsing or tethering.
    Options/mobile network/ data services-when roaming set to off

Also you don't need to turn off mobile network to use wifi abroad, when the wifi symbol changes from grey to black and white you're good to go.

09-12-10 05:23 PM
    Thanks for that belfast.
    09-12-10 07:01 PM
    HI everyone!
    im sorta having the same issue.
    i am currently in canada with a bb curve with Koodo Mobile.
    my plan consists of unlimted picture/text messages. 100 mins and the 'social plan' which allows me to use all the social apps ( facebook, twitter etc)

now im going to australia for 2 months, and want to know if i can use my bbm over there? does it use data, or network coverage? and will i get charged any extra? koodo wasnt very clear explaning this to me..

also the facebook app... how does that work. ( i know i will not be able to make calls/regular txts in australia) but can i update my facebook in australia? where do the apps get their data/coverage from... haha sorry if there is alot of qestions or is confusing but im just really stumped!
    09-15-10 02:33 PM
    People are saying you can use wi-fi to access BBM. Doesn't bbm use RIM servers? So wifi wouldn't work with BBM.

09-15-10 02:39 PM
    People are saying you can use wi-fi to access BBM. Doesn't bbm use RIM servers? So wifi wouldn't work with BBM.

When the wifi symbol changes to black and white from grey all data will go trough wifi. Turn mobile network off and try it if you don't believe it.

09-15-10 04:12 PM
    RIM servers can be reached just as easily from a WiFi network as from a mobile data network... you're essentially on the internet either way
    09-16-10 02:25 AM
    Options/mobile network/ data services-when roaming set to off

Also you don't need to turn off mobile network to use wifi abroad, when the wifi symbol changes from grey to black and white you're good to go.

Just to verify something, when you say roaming you mean long distance roaming correct? Because when I lose wifi signal, I can't access the browser or use anything data related, unless I turn roaming on. Which is a bit weird seeing how data is on, and roaming is off. I thought it should work normally, only disabling data when abroad. Is that not the case, or does roaming simply mean regular data service?

Note, using an unlocked rogers 9700 on fido. when roaming is off, there is a red triangle present at the wireless network title in this case, Rogers Wireless. When roaming is turned on, the triangle turns white, and all data services are accessible.
    09-19-10 07:24 AM
    Anyone with any insight. Am calling my carrier to verify this issue. Seems wrong when my phone tells me am roaming for data when am not. and when turning roaming off, no data service what so ever, even though it's turned on.
    09-19-10 11:35 PM
    Anyone with any insight. Am calling my carrier to verify this issue. Seems wrong when my phone tells me am roaming for data when am not. and when turning roaming off, no data service what so ever, even though it's turned on.
    There's only one way to roam, once you are using a different network everything roams, calls, sms, data. If you can find a free wifi hotspot then once the wifi symbol changes from grey to black and white all data will go trough wifi, I don't think it matters if you have data off when roaming as you're technically not roaming anymore as far as data is concerned. Calls and sms will still be charged as roaming though.

09-20-10 04:22 AM
    There's only one way to roam, once you are using a different network everything roams, calls, sms, data. If you can find a free wifi hotspot then once the wifi symbol changes from grey to black and white all data will go trough wifi, I don't think it matters if you have data off when roaming as you're technically not roaming anymore as far as data is concerned. Calls and sms will still be charged as roaming though.

The thing is, am back home now, and I can't access data unless I turn data roaming on. my question is why? even my blackberry says you're roaming data now.. even though am home, in my zone, and everything should be fine.

Let's assume there isn't wifi around.
    I used to be able to use data normally with the curve I had that came from my carrier. data services on, roaming off.
    now that I got an unlocked 9700 from another carrier, I can't use data when data services is on, and roaming is off. I can only use data if roaming is on as well. the phone also gives me the message when turning roaming on, that my phone is now roaming data. My only concern is this; am I being charged data roaming charges? I think my phone got it wrong, but I don't want to take chances. my carrier made a few mistakes on my past bills which they refused to rectify, and I don't want this to be the case.

I'll contact my carrier in a few hours, I am simply asking the question here to verify that this might be a OS issue on my phone. That it should connect to data when roaming is off, provided that am in my carrier's zone.
    Last edited by hibanzai; 09-20-10 at 05:31 AM.
    09-20-10 05:18 AM
    Do a manual search for your network and select it then turn back to automatic. This is not an OS issue, it's more a carrier sneaky way of charging you more.
    I noticed this when roaming from Northern Ireland to Ireland and back, when coming back the signal will stay on Vodafone Ireland as long as 30 miles past the border and longer and nothing I could to to make it go back to Vodafone UK, I even did a battery pull with no luck.

09-20-10 06:21 AM
    I did a manual search, found the carrier (I'm with Fido which is owned by Rogers, so I only found the Rogers Wireless 3G network, and the phone is Rogers unlocked) maybe that's why the phone feels it's roaming? anyway, it didn't change anything, still roaming. In fact I just noticed, ever since using this phone, under status, it says roaming, so it's roaming for voice as well.

Spoke to my carrier, the rep quickly switched any responsibility from his end onto me upon knowing my phone isn't a Fido phone. He said that it shouldn't matter if you're roaming, it might say it is, but you won't be charged. In case you get charged though, we can't do anything about it, it's not our phone, and we won't fix the bill for you. What utter tripe!

will keep it roaming, if the bill isn't correct, I shall unleash ****.
    09-20-10 05:13 PM
    I did a manual search, found the carrier (I'm with Fido which is owned by Rogers, so I only found the Rogers Wireless 3G network, and the phone is Rogers unlocked) maybe that's why the phone feels it's roaming? anyway, it didn't change anything, still roaming. In fact I just noticed, ever since using this phone, under status, it says roaming, so it's roaming for voice as well.

Spoke to my carrier, the rep quickly switched any responsibility from his end onto me upon knowing my phone isn't a Fido phone. He said that it shouldn't matter if you're roaming, it might say it is, but you won't be charged. In case you get charged though, we can't do anything about it, it's not our phone, and we won't fix the bill for you. What utter tripe!

will keep it roaming, if the bill isn't correct, I shall unleash ****.
    I think you're wasting your time, because your phone is not a Fido phone it will not have the software in it to make it say Fido instead of Rogers. That is not roaming at all. There is no Fido network, it's just using Rogers network. That's why it looks like you're roaming.
    Try installing a Fido released OS, maybe that will help.

09-20-10 06:03 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD