Hi im new BB user and have the Bold. I would like to know if it's free over wi-fi or to the take it from my data.

Thanks for your Help

PIN-20E9A44F
    06-15-09 08:45 PM
    If you don't have a data plan to begin with then you can't even use BBM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-09 08:46 PM
    Its data, its free on each up to the limit of your data plan. The transport method is immaterial
    06-15-09 08:47 PM
    I have a data plan, just want to know when i use it under wi-fi do they minus that from my data?
    06-15-09 08:49 PM
    WiFi is seperate from your data allotment
    06-15-09 08:50 PM
    You're data plan has nothing to do with your wifi capabilities. Wifi is on it's own and you're using a different source for your data transfers so your carrier couldn't charge you for that.
    06-15-09 10:41 PM
    BBM won't even work on wi-fi. Sorry.

06-15-09 10:46 PM
    I have a data plan, just want to know when i use it under wi-fi do they minus that from my data?
    WiFi is seperate from your data allotment
    That is carrier determined. The OP is using Fido, the specialty Rogers owned carrier.

Rogers does support Unlicensed Mobile Access on some models. When UMA is active, all voice and data use the Wifi connection, including your BlackBerry Messenger. If UMA is not active, only the Hotspot Browser uses Wifi.

Rogers/Fido counts every byte against your data plan, EDGE or UMA.

Other carriers offer unlimited data, but not in Canada.
    06-16-09 11:08 AM
    Ok I got the answer to this question...I think. I called and asked (fido) because i have the blackberry data plan i have access to BBM, now they don't charge me for BBM any data because it's a service offered to all BB user with a BB data plan. so even if im not under wi-if it's still free because i have a BB package. Oh yea and if under wi-fi i dont get charged for any date uses. this is what i was told.
    06-16-09 11:13 AM
    Ok I got the answer to this question...I think. I called and asked (fido) because i have the blackberry data plan i have access to BBM, now they don't charge me for BBM any data because it's a service offered to all BB user with a BB data plan. so even if im not under wi-if it's still free because i have a BB package. Oh yea and if under wi-fi i dont get charged for any date uses. this is what i was told.
    Did you get the CSR name and identification information?

That will be handy when you exceed your plan data and are facing a substantial data bill.

The information you got is wrong. All Rogers/Fido data counts against your data plan. The only exception is TalkSpot which does offer unlimited local or nationwide calling over UMA.

Check your monthly statement. Everything counts.
    06-16-09 11:21 AM
    Did you get the CSR name and identification information?

That will be handy when you exceed your plan data and are facing a substantial data bill.

The information you got is wrong. All Rogers/Fido data counts.

Check your monthly statement.
    I dont see how they could charge me data if im using my wi-fi....then what's the point of having a wi-fi phone. When i was using my Iphone under wi-fi i never got charger for any data.
    06-16-09 11:23 AM
    I dont see how they could charge me data if im using my wi-fi....then what's the point of having a wi-fi phone. When i was using my Iphone under wi-fi i never got charger for any data.
    There are a couple of considerations. You are using a Bold which does not come with the factory provisioning to use UMA. That means your Wifi connection can only be used by your Hotspot Browser.

Other models, Pearl 8120 and Curve 8320 are provisioned for UMA. They are able to use Wifi for voice and data.

I can't speak to the iPhone's Wifi use, but I suspect iPhone users are in the same situation, Browser only over Wifi.
    06-16-09 11:29 AM
    There are a couple of considerations. You are using a Bold which does not come with the factory provisioning to use UMA. That means your Wifi connection can only be used by your Hotspot Browser.

Other models, Pearl 8120 and Curve 8320 are provisioned for UMA. They are able to use Wifi for voice and data.

I can't speak to the iPhone's Wifi use, but I suspect iPhone users are in the same situation, Browser only over Wifi.

So basically there is no point in having wi-fi ?? No matter what ill be using data?
    Also BBM is a service that is no using data to chat. If you have blackberry connect BBm is free of charge but you need to have blackberry connect to use it
    06-16-09 11:32 AM
    Also BBM is a service that is no using data to chat. If you have blackberry connect BBm is free of charge but you need to have blackberry connect to use it
    Can I ask what BB plan you have?

I have the Rogers EPP (200 minute etc) and I added the $25 BB Value Pack which includes unlimited messaging including BB Messenger but it does not include data. If I had the $35 Value Pack it would include 500MB of downloads. Technically, BB Messenger, email, Instant Messaging etc. does use data but in this value pack it is a separate service and all proper blackberry plans include BB Messenger.

Also, your Blackberry will only let you do what you have in your plan. For instance, I have no data in my plan so it won't let me browse the internet until I have WiFi on. If your BB Messenger is working then that means you're ok.
    06-16-09 12:50 PM
    BBM won't even work on wi-fi. Sorry.

Buddy, I'm connected all day via Wifi and YES, BBM works perfectly with WiFi. If you mean that you need the Blackberry Data plan and not just plain WiFi then you're right, otherwise, sorry, but you are wrong.
    06-16-09 01:39 PM
    I have $30 1gb ( blackberry connect) and smart phone value pack. I jsu t got off the phone with fido and the angent confirmed that i have Unlimited browsing (fido web which includes bbm ). She told that to go on the regular web then i use my 1gb including for my emails. But under wi-fi i dont get charged for data. LOL man im confused hahaha what do you guys think.
    06-16-09 02:00 PM
    Make sure your value pack is a proper BB value pack. On Rogers there are separate packs for smart phones and Blackberrys.

But you have unlimited browsing and 1GB data so I wouldn't worry about it.
    06-16-09 02:12 PM
    I have $30 1gb ( blackberry connect) and smart phone value pack. I jsu t got off the phone with fido and the angent confirmed that i have Unlimited browsing (fido web which includes bbm ). She told that to go on the regular web then i use my 1gb including for my emails. But under wi-fi i dont get charged for data. LOL man im confused hahaha what do you guys think.
    Have you received your first bill yet?

Phone calls are split out separately, but data is all include in your plan.

The 1 Gb plan is more then enough for any normal use, it makes the question acedemic.
    06-16-09 02:14 PM
    No bill till now, that's what the rep told that 1gb is egnouh. But I had the 6gb before so just worryed

06-16-09 02:23 PM
    This makes me glad that I'm in America... but, then again, I don't have WiFi. I don't understand the Canadian phone plans!!!!!! Nothing against Canada, I just like that I'm charged one flat rate for unlimited data...
    06-16-09 02:43 PM
    I Know unlimited would be amazing.....maybe one day. I was getting 6gb on my iphone for $30, that was amazing, don't get me wrong never even passed 1gb but was good to know i could lol
    06-16-09 02:45 PM
    I have an 8820 here that I had an active SIM in, HRT downloaded.

I left the SIM in but unchecked "Mobile Network" and connected SOLELY on WIFI. I was able to send/recieve emails while on my BES AND USE BBM.

In the top right corner it says "Off" but shows my WIFI router's name in the center.. Hotspot browsing and BBM work over WIFI.
    06-16-09 05:03 PM
    This could have been said in one simple line:

No. BBM requires a connection to RIM servers and if you don't have a BB data plan, then no cigar regardless of whether or not you have wifi.
    06-16-09 06:09 PM
    This could have been said in one simple line:

No. BBM requires a connection to RIM servers and if you don't have a BB data plan, then no cigar regardless of whether or not you have wifi.
    I specified that i do have a connection to rim servers, but want to know if im using wi-fi does it use up ma data or not because im using wi-fi
    06-16-09 08:05 PM
    I have a 3mb data plan
    when I am at my house I turn of the mobile network and leave wifi on
    that let me use blackberry messenger for free and navigate on internet for free, but I cannot receive SMS Text neither calls.
    06-16-09 08:08 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD