I recently bought an app that put a new icon on my homecreen that only shows you data usage. If you click on it, it reset the data counter.
    Today I did just that and immediately sent a one line bbm and I got an "ok" response.
    The total usage after I received the reply? A grand total of 1Kb

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-11 01:15 PM
    Wonder it it rounds up.
    06-02-11 01:18 PM
    Wonder it it rounds up.
    No, up to 1mb it's very detailed, after my messages was sent it showed a few hundred bytes, then went up a bit when delivered and again when read and when I received the reply.
    After data counter gets up to 1mb it shows data usage in mbs increments.

06-02-11 01:20 PM
    So, why is this significant?
    06-02-11 01:35 PM
    What is the name of the program you bought that shows BBM data usage?
    06-02-11 01:41 PM
    He is stating on how much BBM uses in data..
    06-02-11 01:41 PM
    He is stating on how much BBM uses in data..
    Totally got that. The question is why is this an important enough subject to post about. Are people really worried about that data usage?
    06-02-11 01:46 PM
    what's the name of the program that logs this? Also, is there any way to see in general how much data I use on my BB?
    06-02-11 01:48 PM
    Totally got that. The question is why is this an important enough subject to post about. Are people really worried about that data usage?
    for some people yes they worry. While many US carriers give you unlimited its not the case in many other places. 500 MB plans are typical so they need to watch their data usage

BTW: I think 1KB isnt really small but i never have cared about data consumption either
    Last edited by howarmat; 06-02-11 at 02:12 PM.
    06-02-11 01:55 PM
    If you are a tier data plan with AT&T then knowing your data usage is VERY IMPORTANT to know. Us with unlimited plans don't care or need to worry.
    06-02-11 02:17 PM
    The app is simply called Data Meter.

And yes, I do have just 500mb available on my contract but that's not really where it's useful, think about when one person goes abroad on holiday or business trip, or even when 2 people go abroad, BBM is the best and cheapest way to stay in touch.

I roamed from Northern Ireland to Ireland today and I sent a few bbms, a few photos trough bbm and my location a few times, about 20 web pages and almost one hour of google maps navigation, it was supposed to be less but you'd think Coca Cola Ireland would put a big sign on their building but no, so I drove past them a few times lol.
    The total usage for this trip was 2MB, well, let's just say under 3MB.

06-02-11 02:36 PM
    Here's the icon.
    06-02-11 02:44 PM
    if you think your current plan of 500mb is insufficient, either:

1) upgrade your data quota;
    2) enable data usage only when you require;
    3) utilise the wifi options; or
    4) seriously, stay away from smartphones.

what is the point of owning it when you cant maintain it? now, flame =)
    06-02-11 10:10 PM

Ha ha, you missed the point, 500mb lasts a lot longer with a blackberry. Besides, you can't upgrade to a contract with more data, it comes in 500mb chunks, if I go 1kb over 500mb I get charged for another 500.
    Relying on wifi kinda defeats the purpose of having a mobile phone as wifi stops you being just that, mobile.

06-03-11 12:38 AM
    yea. seriously, 500mb without tethering is more than sufficient. its just that i have some colleagues who are so stingy and afraid that mere usage would suck up all the 500mb quota. they really annoy the sheet out of me.

its a blackberry, its all compressed data.....
    Last edited by LiteBulb; 06-03-11 at 01:29 AM.
    06-03-11 01:27 AM
    I always had my suspicions and it looks like the phone uses more data if you're constantly moving about, especially when going from 3g to 2g and back a lot.

06-03-11 03:22 AM
    I always had my suspicions and it looks like the phone uses more data if you're constantly moving about, especially when going from 3g to 2g and back a lot.

Yes, high chance it has to send data packets to at&t servers and probably BIS servers every time it goes from 3g to 2g and vice versa, and when losing and regaining the signal.
    06-03-11 03:49 AM
    Yes, high chance it has to send data packets to at&t servers and probably BIS servers every time it goes from 3g to 2g and vice versa, and when losing and regaining the signal.
    I have gmail set to sync contacts and calendar, I wonder if it has to do the same thing.

06-03-11 04:15 AM

It is cool to know your data use as well as something for us original netizens. There was a time when data was crazy expensive and you paid for every kb you used. We learned to be efficient and smart with our data. Some old habits don't break so easily.

For some of you youngsters, we used to have to go to a store to buy music, or books, or mostly anything. You kids with unlimited data and no knowledge of history truly do not have any idea how good you have it.

I too am on AT&T and need to stay under a certain ceiling of use. It is a good idea. BTW, I am lucky enough to be reading and writing this on a wifi link right now.

06-03-11 06:49 AM
    I have gmail set to sync contacts and calendar, I wonder if it has to do the same thing.

Probably, if the sync process was going to happen right when the signal was dropping and switching, then it is scheduled to happen after it is restored. That depends on the app though, some set it to do it right after connection is restored, others just fail and continue until the next scheduled time.
    06-03-11 06:52 AM
    It is cool to know your data use as well as something for us original netizens. There was a time when data was crazy expensive and you paid for every kb you used. We learned to be efficient and smart with our data. Some old habits don't break so easily.

For some of you youngsters, we used to have to go to a store to buy music, or books, or mostly anything. You kids with unlimited data and no knowledge of history truly do not have any idea how good you have it.

I too am on AT&T and need to stay under a certain ceiling of use. It is a good idea. BTW, I am lucky enough to be reading and writing this on a wifi link right now.

You tell them Granpa lol. Actually I'm the same, I had a mobile phone long before gprs came out.

The days of unlimited data are coming to an end though, data plans are getting smaller. 1gb used to be the normal now it's been cut by half.

Interesting, facebook doesn't use much data either until you browse photos, especially if you zoom into them, I went from 2mb to 4mb in 2 minutes.

06-03-11 07:02 AM
    Well I figured the 1KB thing long time ago except I have an unlimited data service plan :P.................

Blackberry Themes And News

06-03-11 10:57 AM
    That's an interesting app. Even if you have an unlimited data plan, the nerd in me likes to know these things.
    06-03-11 12:03 PM
    I use the app "cell manaher" (free download) to manage my data / minutes / roaming etc... Works great, and I don't need to install 5 different $0.99 apps to do it...

I agree the memory usage of bbm is almost insignificant, however someone eho is on pay as you go, or with a limited data allotment might want to know the usage of all their apps, to stay in the range...

06-03-11 12:33 PM
    Is the my Verizon app still only work on 3G or does it now give you all data including Wifi?

Before it wanted WiFi turned off to run.
    06-03-11 12:36 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD