So, yesterday I went to the city (had a great time) and at night we decided to go to time Square. There, for the first time EVER, I saw a BlackBerry advertisement. I've never before seen a BlackBerry advertisement in my life of any type. It's about time RIM started advertising BlackBerry... can't wait for OS6!

P.S: Sorry for the crappy quality... my 9700 ran out of battery at central park so I had to use my friends curve 8300 (she doesn't have a data plan so she didn't care) for the rest of the day >.>
    Last edited by Shad0w26; 07-22-10 at 12:59 PM.
    07-22-10 12:47 PM
    Thanks for sharing!
    Awesome! They have really been pushing BBM lately.
    07-22-10 12:57 PM
    No problem
    07-22-10 07:14 PM
    Why do they insist upon using BBM, which is meaningless to most non BB users, and
    not use BlackBerry Messenger.
    07-22-10 07:36 PM
    Seen these ads platered all over Bloor station in toronto.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-10 07:44 PM
    First all the different tv commercials now this, I don't get it either AG
    07-22-10 08:11 PM
    BBM does NOT at all live up to the hype that Blackberry is making. Its glorified text messaging. The only thing I really use it for is the message confirmation so I can tell when people have read my messages.
    07-22-10 08:12 PM
    BBM does NOT at all live up to the hype that Blackberry is making. Its glorified text messaging. The only thing I really use it for is the message confirmation so I can tell when people have read my messages.
    I agree. Honestly, if you want a chunk of the consumer market, I think you'd be wanting to advertise more about your entire product (hardware and software), and not just one small piece of your OS.
    07-22-10 08:30 PM
    Speak for yourself my friend. I use it for message confirmation, voice notes, file transfer ect. For it's a very useful thing to have. I hardly ever use text messages.

I could understand why they are pushing BBM. It will be huge with the younger people. "BBM me" seems to be going around a lot more with the younger generation. But those commercial seriously suck IMO. They could do much better then that.

07-22-10 09:26 PM
    I also disagree that BBM is just "glorified text messaging". It does more than just that (file, picture, voice note transfer) group chats, but for me the best part about Blackberry messenger is the free international chatting, since I have friends/family in Central America with Blackberries, and BBM is a great way for me to stay in touch with them both here and when I go visit.
    07-22-10 09:33 PM
    Speak for yourself my friend. I use it for message confirmation, voice notes, file transfer ect. For it's a very useful thing to have. I hardly ever use text messages. I could understand why they are pushing BBM. It will be huge with the younger people. "BBM me" seems to be going around a lot more with the younger generation. But those commercial seriously suck IMO. They could do much better then that.
    +1 in all regards. I use BBM for work in our office! Its certainly more than glorified SMS.
    07-22-10 09:35 PM
    I disagree also that its just "glorified txt messaging"

I find it very useful and i feel bad for friends without it cuz i dont talk to them as much as my friends on bbm hahah..
    07-22-10 09:57 PM
    I have to say I also use BBM for more than just "texting". That is only one portion of it. File sharing, free international messaging, message confirmation, voice notes, and groups.

I actually have several groups set up on BBM. Besides the social groups I'm on, I have one for each of my two businesses, as well as a family group.

With the family group, we have several lists set up. One is for groceries. I can add items to the list (so can my wife and our daughter). Whoever goes to the grocery store can pull up the list and see things that everyone needs. We keep track of family-events in the group calendar, as well as things like the honey-do list.

For my businesses, I use lists to keep track of projects, project assignments, screen captures, and so on (with the ability to discuss list items, and make notes). I didn't realize that you could add notes (discuss item) to list items until recently. That makes it so easy for me to meet with a client, discuss changes to their project, makes note in the BBM Group list, and have one of my staff see those notes right away.

I do have to agree, though, that the recent BBM commercials really don't show off what you can do with BBM. Hopefully the next round of commercials will build off of the BBM awareness they are spreading right now.
    07-23-10 09:53 AM
    this plus juan
    07-23-10 09:57 AM
    I have to say I also use BBM for more than just "texting". That is only one portion of it. File sharing, free international messaging, message confirmation, voice notes, and groups.

I actually have several groups set up on BBM. Besides the social groups I'm on, I have one for each of my two businesses, as well as a family group.

With the family group, we have several lists set up. One is for groceries. I can add items to the list (so can my wife and our daughter). Whoever goes to the grocery store can pull up the list and see things that everyone needs. We keep track of family-events in the group calendar, as well as things like the honey-do list.

For my businesses, I use lists to keep track of projects, project assignments, screen captures, and so on (with the ability to discuss list items, and make notes). I didn't realize that you could add notes (discuss item) to list items until recently. That makes it so easy for me to meet with a client, discuss changes to their project, makes note in the BBM Group list, and have one of my staff see those notes right away.

I do have to agree, though, that the recent BBM commercials really don't show off what you can do with BBM. Hopefully the next round of commercials will build off of the BBM awareness they are spreading right now.
    I dont use BBM and i can do everything you just mentioned.

Google Calendar, i can see my wife's she can see mine. I can see my best friends who can see mine. Actually i have like 5 calendars on my phone and only one of them belong to me.

and i have a Google docs application on my phone and my wife's phone. when she edits a list it transfers all the way over to mine.

and i did the BBM group thing with my family. and it ending up being " Michael (myself) and Sam (my cousin) you two are idiots" and everyone just deleted them selves from the list. To the average consumer of blackberries BBM means nothing to them. to the BB junkie like half of this site, it's glorified Text messaging service. and to the 5% of people who know what it is, and what it is capable of doing it's wonderful.
    07-23-10 10:05 AM
    t will be huge with the younger people. "BBM me" seems to be going around a lot more with the younger generation.
    It already IS huge with younger people. I can't count how many people have gotten BlackBerries this week.
    07-23-10 06:41 PM
    IMO is much better than any SMS or other program out there...

07-24-10 11:30 AM
    I dont use BBM and i can do everything you just mentioned.

Google Calendar, i can see my wife's she can see mine. I can see my best friends who can see mine. Actually i have like 5 calendars on my phone and only one of them belong to me.

and i have a Google docs application on my phone and my wife's phone. when she edits a list it transfers all the way over to mine.

and i did the BBM group thing with my family. and it ending up being " Michael (myself) and Sam (my cousin) you two are idiots" and everyone just deleted them selves from the list. To the average consumer of blackberries BBM means nothing to them. to the BB junkie like half of this site, it's glorified Text messaging service. and to the 5% of people who know what it is, and what it is capable of doing it's wonderful.

YES you can do everything with other programs, but it is about how easy that is, with my BBM people don't need to be using google, they don't need to know how to set up the calendars, BBM makes it simple for the NON tech user, that is the key, I agree using the Calendars is SOOO much better than what BBM can do when sharing information that can be done in groups, but I had to do all that set up for those I share calendars with, some of them I had to actually create email addresses for using google since they only have ISP addresses.

BBM Just makes it simple, to share the information.
    07-24-10 11:38 AM
    I have BBM on my iPhone. Only it's called Gtalk, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, etc. And
    I can add anyone I'd like without being limited to a BB user.

I know the appeal of what BBM is. I loved it when I was using a BB. But let's not
    kid ourselves. It's an IM app with closed communication.
    07-24-10 12:31 PM
    To the average consumer of blackberries BBM means nothing to them. and to the 5% of people who know what it is, and what it is capable of doing it's wonderful.
    BBM means nothing to them? And you know this how?

Only 5% know what BBM is it? Why do ppl make up stats, and then try to use those stats to support a failed argument?

07-24-10 05:05 PM
    My dad uses bbm but has no idea how to text message.. This shows the power of BBM.. Especially now that it's pre-loaded on devices.

I use the group function every single day with co-workers that are geographically spread out.. Without BBM groups, I would feel completely disconnected with my team.
    07-24-10 05:21 PM
    My dad uses bbm but has no idea how to text message.. This shows the power of BBM.. Especially now that it's pre-loaded on devices.

I use the group function every single day with co-workers that are geographically spread out.. Without BBM groups, I would feel completely disconnected with my team.
    Preloaded is a MAJOR thing.
    When Microsoft PreLoaded "Windows Messenger" in Windows XP, it marked the slow demise of ICQ and other IM clients, I used to LOVE my ICQ which like BBM was just a connect number, no email, no personal information traded, but slowly from 2001-2003 less and less people were on ICQ and more used Windows Messenger because it was already there.

The problem with ALL of the the IM clients is they need you to sign up, that is a negaitive for a NON power user. BBM is JUST simple.
    07-24-10 08:55 PM
    You can tell when someone has read your message? What?
    07-24-10 09:04 PM
    You can tell when someone has read your message? What?
    Beside your message when you send it is a "D" that means delivered, it then changed to an "R" when the person has read the message.
    07-24-10 09:09 PM
    Beside your message when you send it is a "D" that means delivered, it then changed to an "R" when the person has read the message.
    Wow didn't know that. Thanks
    07-24-10 09:16 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD