I must be missing something here. I got it in my head to put a "task" on my BB, a court filing needs to be completed in a week. I usually make these things "events" on the calendar.

So I put it in BB Tasks and, well, what's the point? While viewing the task it just lists the name of the task. Doesn't show due date, start date, anything like that unless you actually click on the task. It doesn't display on the home screen via a Today theme. It just puts a tiny blip on the calendar when it's due that you can hardly even see is there.

Best I can tell is it's simply an alarm that you can set to beep when your task is due or X hours/days before. No reminders every so often. No status indicator showing the task getting closer to due date. Nothing meaningfully task-oriented AFAICT.

Has anybody, anybody at all, found a use for this app? If so, what?
    11-12-09 01:09 AM
    Never used it. However, you have made me think that wouldn't a Gantt chart be great on a BlackBerry?
    11-12-09 01:35 AM
    some **** would probably charge $50 for an app like that. And would probably get it too.

j e r k is censored too???
    11-12-09 01:57 AM
    The task app is fairly limited. I previously used a Palm Centro running KeySuite. The tasks would appear on the calendar and then roll to the next day if not completed.
    01-02-10 07:06 AM
    The task app is very similar in functionality to the Task app in Outlook. It is true that unless you click on it you cannot see many of its details (i.e. start and due date).

But in many cases tasks are not related to Calendar, suppose you need to remember to change your car�s oil. You may need BB to remind you at some point but it is not an event you will include in Calendar because you dont�really know when you are going to have the time to perform this action.

I use tasks a lot, and as I have been an intensive Outlook user for years, find it as usefull as Outlook.

Anyway, the fact that tasks do not show up in your Today screen is a theme related issue. You only need to find someone who has designed a theme that shows tasks in your home screen.

Tasks, memos, etc, are included with the OS so if you don�t want them, just make sure not to select them when installing the OS. You will save some memory too.

Cheers.
    01-02-10 07:18 AM
    It depends on what your looking for. I am a contractor and I found Tasks pretty handy (I use Slicktasks now) I set up different catagories such as "jobs to do" jobs to measure" ,jobs pending" etc. A lot of the time I don't need to assign dates to the tasks right away but I do need a place to put contact info as well as other info about the job. Tasks served that purpose pretty well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-10 08:44 AM
    I know some people live and die by the task application. I personally don't use it at all. Depends on who you are. While it may be useless for you, it's vital for someone else just the way it is.
    01-02-10 09:02 AM
    Tasks are To-Do lists. Some items can have a due date but not a time-to-start. If there's something you need to do at a certain date and time, you put it on the Calendar (an example for me would be a wedding day). If there's something you have a deadline for, but up until that deadline there really isn't a specific time you have to start it, or you just work on it as time allows, you make it a task (an example for me would be retouching the photos from the wedding).

In other words, I have to be at x church on y date at z time to shoot the wedding but I don't have to start the retouching at any specific time as long as I can get them done within the time frame (ie by the due date) that I promised.

01-02-10 09:16 AM
    In Outlook, tasks can have both a start and end date. Some PIM apps can list current or overdue tasks in the day view of the calendar. If the task does not get marked as complete, it rolls to the next day. This is very useful functionality. I wish the BB OS could do that.
    01-02-10 11:32 AM
    I use the calender for locked in appointments and the tasks list for things I do not have a set time to do.

For example, send out X package once parts come in for it, but I do not know when they are coming. ***** at so and so for copy of lease, etc. I mark them not started, in progress, or completed.

For appointments for on-site jobs and important meetings that are to take place at a specific time, I use the calender.
    01-02-10 11:55 AM
    If there's something you need to do at a certain date and time, you put it on the Calendar (an example for me would be a wedding day).
    I totally, totally, totally disagree. There is a big, big, big difference between a task that needs to be done by a certain time and an "event." An event, like a wedding, has a start time in the future and an end time in the future. A task that needs to be done by a certain time has a start time of *right now* and an end time in the future.

For example, if I need to have paperwork into the court by January 31st, then I want to be able to make this a task with a end date of Jan. 31. This is not an "event" because the task has already started. Whereas if I have a court appearance at 8:30AM on the 31st, then that is an "event" because it starts in the future and ends in the future.

Usually an event lasts a day or less, whereas a task can stretch on for weeks and even months. These two types of things are totally different for me and to put tasks that have an end-time with events on the calendar would totally confuse my system.
    01-02-10 03:23 PM
    Thats basically what I said, if you read my entire post.

01-02-10 03:36 PM
    yea you're right. I read it as you saying "if there's something to do BY a certain date and time" where you actually said "... AT a certain date and time."
    01-02-10 03:41 PM
    Damn them teeny words, eh? :P

01-02-10 03:47 PM
    Usually an event lasts a day or less, whereas a task can stretch on for weeks and even months. These two types of things are totally different for me and to put tasks that have an end-time with events on the calendar would totally confuse my system.
    The BB calendar does display tasks on their due by date but what it very stupidly doesn't do (unless I am doing something wrong) is continue to display them after the due date.
    01-02-10 05:41 PM
    True but I don't think it's helpful to see that, since then you have to look at both the task list and the calendar. The task list to see all your current tasks, and the calendar to hopefully catch sight of one whose due-date is coming up.

It would be much more intuitive to have the due-date listed next to the task on the main task screen. There are several paid task-apps that do it. Why couldn't RIM include this simple display:

TASK .......... DUE DATE
    01-02-10 06:46 PM
    I'd like to think I'm actually finishing my tasks on time, so I'd rather kick my **** into gear (or set realistic due dates) than just let my software say "it's due tomorrow but if you miss it we'll make it due the next day...then the next day...then the next day..." The latter kind of defeats the purpose of putting a due date and reminder on the task in the first place.

I do, however, agree with Furby that the due date displayed either next to or under the task would be helpful. You can, however, set rather frequently recurring reminders to annoy you into completing the task.

Last edited by dchawk81; 01-02-10 at 07:00 PM.
    01-02-10 06:58 PM
    True but I don't think it's helpful to see that, since then you have to look at both the task list and the calendar. The task list to see all your current tasks, and the calendar to hopefully catch sight of one whose due-date is coming up.
    I almost never looked at the task list when using \my old PIM software (Chapura's Keysuite on PalmOS). The task appeared on the Calendar from the start date until it was completed.
    01-02-10 07:51 PM
    I'd like to think I'm actually finishing my tasks on time, so I'd rather kick my **** into gear (or set realistic due dates) than just let my software say "it's due tomorrow but if you miss it we'll make it due the next day...then the next day...then the next day..." The latter kind of defeats the purpose of putting a due date and reminder on the task in the first place.
    In a perfect world all tasks would be completed when scheduled. However, if we were all perfect we wouldn't need PIM software in the first place. We would just remember everything we had to do and always get it done on time.

I rely on my PIM software to compensate for my organizational imperfections. Keysuite was better than the BB PIM software.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 01-02-10 at 07:57 PM.
    01-02-10 07:54 PM
    Hmm. If you say so. I use PIM to remind me of stuff I have to do, so I do it. No amount of organizational software will make me actually complete a task. If I had a lot of missed due dates, I'd be seriously looking at my workflow/load because something is definitely amiss.

Oh and in Agenda View on the calendar, the due date/time is shown next to the task name.

Last edited by dchawk81; 01-02-10 at 08:06 PM.
    01-02-10 08:02 PM
    I just checked and the tasks still show. I had to put in a fake task and let it pass though.

01-02-10 08:29 PM
    I just checked and the tasks still show. I had to put in a fake task and let it pass though.

I have a recurring task that would normally have been completed by the end of last month. I was travelling so it was not done on time. It shows on that date last month but does not show on the day view for today.
    01-02-10 08:40 PM
    Hmm. If you say so. I use PIM to remind me of stuff I have to do, so I do it. No amount of organizational software will make me actually complete a task.
    And if you are unable to complete the task for whatever reason, the Blackberry will give you no further reminders.
    01-02-10 08:43 PM
    I have a recurring task that would normally have been completed by the end of last month. I was travelling so it was not done on time.
    If you have the monthly recurring task set up correctly, it will remind you again for the end of this month.

It shows on that date last month but does not show on the day view for today.
    Is today the due date? If not, that's why. If you want to see the task, use Agenda View.

Last edited by dchawk81; 01-02-10 at 09:43 PM.
    01-02-10 09:37 PM
    Is today the due date? If not, that's why. If you want to see the task, use Agenda View.

It's past due, which is why I want to see it.
    01-03-10 01:55 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD