Hello, I've been a lurker of these forums for a while and I really appreciate all the great information that comes from here. I installed the new OS 5.0 that was released last week and since then my battery life just took a nose dive. Is anyone else having this issue? I turned off GPS and tried to tweak it as much as I could but it did not seem to make a difference. For example: I would set my alarm on my BB (at 100% battery), take it off the charger and when the alarm went off 7 hours later the battery would be down to 65%. This is with NO use whatsoever (I was sleeping). I would make sure all programs are closed on it as well.

I downgraded back to OS 4.7 yesterday and my battery problems went away. Are there any special tweaks needed for installing the OS on Verizon? I know there shouldn't be but I may as well ask. Thanks in advance!
    02-22-10 01:48 PM
    Yes. Wait for Vzw. They will add their own tweaks in another est. couple wks. That, or if you just have to have OS 5, go with a hybrid I suppose.
    02-22-10 01:56 PM
    Did you go into option-->mobile network-->set network technology to "1XEV"?

That will make a huge difference in battery life.
    02-22-10 02:19 PM
    Did you go into option-->mobile network-->set network technology to "1XEV"?

That will make a huge difference in battery life.
    Uh, actually, if he loaded the recent 5.0 release, it was for SPRINT, which has a slighltly modified radio file to interpret Sprint's cellular network, NOT Vzw's which in turn has a huge impact on the battery life. A lot of us hyrbridizer's already figured that out and those on Vzw have just swapped the radio file out with Alltel's .419 release and the release works fine. Get over to bbhybrids.net if you want better information.
    02-22-10 03:33 PM
    Uh, actually, if he loaded the recent 5.0 release, it was for SPRINT, which has a slighltly modified radio file to interpret Sprint's cellular network, NOT Vzw's which in turn has a huge impact on the battery life. A lot of us hyrbridizer's already figured that out and those on Vzw have just swapped the radio file out with Alltel's .419 release and the release works fine. Get over to bbhybrids.net if you want better information.
    i second that, using the right hybrid ontop of an os will make a huge difference.

i had battery life issues when i first loaded 5.0, then i started using hybrids and i haven't looked back since.

i highly suggest using 5.0 with a hybrid, its so much better than 4.7 (and i used 4.7 for a long long time, i've only been running 5.0 for a month at the most now)
    02-22-10 09:37 PM
    what are the best features of 5.0????
    02-25-10 01:17 PM
    what are the best features of 5.0????
    Anything and everything is noticably faster, better and all around improved.
    02-25-10 02:29 PM
    I've had horrendous with every version of 5.0 available, even with hybrids. The only reason I don't go back to 4.7 for the better battery life is because of the 552 error. Basically for me I traded battery life for no 552 errors. It's a worthy trade off IMO.
    02-25-10 02:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD