The new version is coming along. I hope to have something out by the middle of November. I am reworking a lot of the code, making it smaller, faster, more accurate, and easier to update. I am also trying to get an online registration process working so that process will be more streamlined.

As a small update for everyone. I have noticed that there have been a lot more "Connection Failed" messages since the last couple of DM updates. I have figured it out and how to eliminate the problem. A solution to this will be built into the update, but there is a temporary fix for right now.

When your PC starts up, DM launches "RIMBBLaunchAgent.exe" which is a small process that runs in the background to detect a BB Device connection to USB. When you plug in your device it locks down the USB port and doesn't allow other processes access to the device. Just launch Task Manager and kill this process. That will allow BB Boss to connect properly.

Thanks for your support and patience, it is appreciated.

great cant wait for the new version
    10-17-11 09:07 PM
    Hi

I'm having problems connecting my phone to BB boss, its asking for my phone's password and when i leave it blank it doesn't connect..

HELP
    10-19-11 05:34 PM
    Hi

I'm having problems connecting my phone to BB boss, its asking for my phone's password and when i leave it blank it doesn't connect..

HELP
    Does your phone have a password? Are you clicking on 'Connect' after that screen?
    10-19-11 06:39 PM
    My bbm doesn't have a password and i'm clicking on connect after
    I also go to the screen that has all the programs i wanted removed/shrunk and click connect to phone and still can't connect
    10-20-11 06:05 PM
    Sorry to ask, just not clear at this point. Does the 2.2 version work with OS7, specifically a 9810 ? I know there is a new version in the works, just not sure about what 2.2 can support.

thanks
    brill
    10-20-11 08:58 PM
    It does work with OS7 devices, it's just not 100% optimized yet. It can still shrink an OS7 Java directory down into the mid 40MB range on a full shrink, I just haven't added some of the new files yet.

On the connection issue, please refer to my most recent previous post where I explain that you might have to manually kill a Desktop Manager background app in order to connect. This will be automatically done in the new version.
    10-20-11 09:05 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply, looking forward to your next release

brill
    10-20-11 09:14 PM
    Question....I minimally shrunk the OS through BB Boss (only took out the starup video and annoying Verizon apps) and then I loaded App Loader through the Common Files/Research In Motion folder, NOT through BB Boss and the startup video and Verizon apps were still on my phone. Should I load the OS through BB Boss instead of App loader after I shrink?
    10-22-11 12:09 PM
    Question....I minimally shrunk the OS through BB Boss (only took out the starup video and annoying Verizon apps) and then I loaded App Loader through the Common Files/Research In Motion folder, NOT through BB Boss and the startup video and Verizon apps were still on my phone. Should I load the OS through BB Boss instead of App loader after I shrink?
    What I recommend is doing a Direct Shrink on Phone. That option removes them directly after the loading process has completed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-11 05:29 PM
    What I recommend is doing a Direct Shrink on Phone. That option removes them directly after the loading process has completed.

See, I tried doing that right after this little incident but it just says that there's a 0 MB difference between the current and old java size so it sounds like it's been taken out but I still saw the startup video and I still see the PTT and other Verizon apps.
    10-22-11 10:03 PM
    Try clicking the button that says "DIrect Shrink on Phone." It sounds like you are clicking on the "Modify on Disk" button.

Now, there is a reason that this is happening. You are running Windows 7 and do not have the "correct" permissions to modify the folder. This has been discussed many times in this thread. There is a fix for it though.

1) Open File Explorer and navigate to the "Loader Files" directory. eg. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\"

2) Right click the folder and select "Properties" from the pop-up menu.

3) Change to the "Security" tab

4) Click the "Edit" button.

5) Select "Administrators" from the "Group or user names:" list box

6) Check the box that says "Full Control" in the "Allow" column

As far as I know, this is only an issue on Windows 7 and has something to do with the stupid way that Microsoft has decided that different kinds of users can have. Even though your account may be listed as an administrator account, you don't have full access to all folders on the disk. It's kind of weird, but at least there's a work around.
    10-23-11 12:24 PM
    Try clicking the button that says "DIrect Shrink on Phone." It sounds like you are clicking on the "Modify on Disk" button.

Now, there is a reason that this is happening. You are running Windows 7 and do not have the "correct" permissions to modify the folder. This has been discussed many times in this thread. There is a fix for it though.

1) Open File Explorer and navigate to the "Loader Files" directory. eg. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\"

2) Right click the folder and select "Properties" from the pop-up menu.

3) Change to the "Security" tab

4) Click the "Edit" button.

5) Select "Administrators" from the "Group or user names:" list box

6) Check the box that says "Full Control" in the "Allow" column

As far as I know, this is only an issue on Windows 7 and has something to do with the stupid way that Microsoft has decided that different kinds of users can have. Even though your account may be listed as an administrator account, you don't have full access to all folders on the disk. It's kind of weird, but at least there's a work around.
    Thank you for the reply. I definitely click on "Direct Shrink on Phone" but nothing happens, it just asks if I'm sure I want to make the change of 0MB on my phone. I tried these settings but it didn't do anything. When I did the modify OS on disk option, I shrunk my Java size 40+ MB, but now when I try to do direct shrink it says there's a difference of 0MB. So it appears as if it's been shrunk properly but then my phone still has the apps I shrunk out.
    10-23-11 02:57 PM
    When selecting 'Direct Shrink on Phone', it would be awesome to actually show the list of files that are to be removed just in case.....because you just never know.
    10-23-11 02:58 PM
    @DocZ: Have you actually tried opening the applications on your device? From your description it sounds like the apps have been properly removed, but you are still seeing the icons for them. What could be happening is the icons with a download link are being pushed to the device via service books from your carrier. In this case, there is nothing I can do about it becuase they are pushed AFTER OS installation and are not the actual applications. You'll just have to hide the icons.

@Tryfe: I played with having a list of files to be removed, but too many of my beta testers said that it was too cumbersome and too much to see if you were doing a full shrink. With the possibility of removing well over 1000 files, a list of things being removed is just too much.
    10-23-11 03:09 PM
    @DocZ: Have you actually tried opening the applications on your device? From your description it sounds like the apps have been properly removed, but you are still seeing the icons for them. What could be happening is the icons with a download link are being pushed to the device via service books from your carrier. In this case, there is nothing I can do about it becuase they are pushed AFTER OS installation and are not the actual applications. You'll just have to hide the icons.

@Tryfe: I played with having a list of files to be removed, but too many of my beta testers said that it was too cumbersome and too much to see if you were doing a full shrink. With the possibility of removing well over 1000 files, a list of things being removed is just too much.
    It's not too cumbersome for me!
    10-23-11 03:11 PM
    It's not too cumbersome for me!
    I understand, but you are just one of the 50,000+ downloads of BB Boss that are running. I may put this in as an option if in the new version if I get enough people that tell me they want it. Unfortunatly I cannot code for just one person.
    10-23-11 03:15 PM
    I understand, but you are just one of the 50,000+ downloads of BB Boss that are running. I may put this in as an option if in the new version if I get enough people that tell me they want it. Unfortunatly I cannot code for just one person.
    Understood.

So what's your opinion on being able to successfully shrink out, "Avatars, Default Backgrounds, Startup Videos & other Media files," for OS7? As of now they're inpossible it seems.
    10-23-11 03:31 PM
    It's proving to be very difficult. It seems they are included in another file that is critical to OS function. I know I'm not the only one with the problem, but I'm still trying to figure it out. I haven't given up!
    10-23-11 03:34 PM
    It's proving to be very difficult. It seems they are included in another file that is critical to OS function. I know I'm not the only one with the problem, but I'm still trying to figure it out. I haven't given up!
    After the media cods are loaded to the phone, they seem to disappear. I'm glad you're still working on it.
    10-23-11 03:42 PM
    I thought about this but then the startup video still showed up as well. My procedure for using App Loader after BB Boss is okay? Or should I have activated App Loader directly from BB Boss? I don't know if it makes a difference.
    10-23-11 06:55 PM
    After the media cods are loaded to the phone, they seem to disappear. I'm glad you're still working on it.
    Perhaps due to the "self destruct" tag in the alx file...
    10-23-11 07:50 PM
    Perhaps due to the "self destruct" tag in the alx file...
    Even with those lines removed from the .alx, it still seems to do it. I tried last night. I edited the .alx, wiped the phone, reinstalled with the cods shrunk out and still the same thing.
    10-23-11 08:32 PM
    I just used BB Boss 2.2 to upgrade from 5.0 to 6.0 on my AT&T 9700. I found the entire process really easy; thanks for putting this application together.

Can someone walk me through shrinking the OS while the phone is connected? There's a few more things I'd like to remove...but not reinstall the OS all over again. Is it just a matter having the app connect to the phone, then hit the "shrink on phone" (can't remember the exact wording) button? If I check additional things to remove, will they just be removed?

A question on languages. If I selectively check languages to be removed, but leave the "all" unchecked...what happens?

Is there a way to remove via BB Boss the stock wallpaper/pictures loaded?
    10-26-11 06:53 AM
    I just used BB Boss 2.2 to upgrade from 5.0 to 6.0 on my AT&T 9700. I found the entire process really easy; thanks for putting this application together.

Can someone walk me through shrinking the OS while the phone is connected? There's a few more things I'd like to remove...but not reinstall the OS all over again. Is it just a matter having the app connect to the phone, then hit the "shrink on phone" (can't remember the exact wording) button? If I check additional things to remove, will they just be removed?

A question on languages. If I selectively check languages to be removed, but leave the "all" unchecked...what happens?

Is there a way to remove via BB Boss the stock wallpaper/pictures loaded?
    Just use "direct shrink on phone", anything checked will be removed, anything unchecked will stay. You can remove what you don't need, including all of the fonts which take up somwwhat around 8-16MB and wallpapers, stock music, video and ringtones, if you only use music you made. I wouldn't remove the ringtones.

10-26-11 08:56 AM
    Thanks Rootbrian.

I'm not in front of my personal PC...so I dug up a screenshot of BB Boss. I know see the stock pics; Media files: Backgrounds. Missed that last night. I thought I deleted the stock "Welcome Video", but that popped up on both phones (mine and my wife's) that I upgraded last night. I'll try nixing it again.
    10-26-11 09:34 AM
331 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD