The app is a shrinker, it's key function is to remove stuff. Selecting what to remove makes more sense than selecting what to keep.
    Although I found it a bit strange to begin with, I also support the "check to remove" method. Whilst it may seem backwards, it's just like selecting files to delete - you highlight the ones that you want to delete - same with this app, it's a shrinker/deleter - you mark the ones to shrink.

Now, if the program was an "OS Bloater" - then I'd support the opposite
    01-25-11 10:46 AM
    This app was modeled after the extremely successful SAOS application by Lyricidal, so it makes sense that it would behave the same way, and share a target audience. If anything, the audience for BB Boss would be the ones who want to pull even more out of their base installs and have more options. These would be the users that were tinkering with removing individual files one at a time after SAOS to see what else could be pulled out and still work.
    Last edited by shabbs; 01-25-11 at 04:54 PM.
    01-25-11 10:48 AM
    Everyone still seems bent on discussing a point which I have ceded. I am no longer debating which items are selected, merely suggesting that an "X" mark the selections instead of a check.
    01-25-11 11:24 AM
    I agree with the tooltips needed.

Eg, what is the Bluetooth File Transfer? Does that remove the bluetooth option in the phone?
    MBP Files?
    01-25-11 11:27 AM
    I agree with the tooltips needed.

Eg, what is the Bluetooth File Transfer? Does that remove the bluetooth option in the phone?
    MBP Files?
    I left Bluetooth File Transfer, but deleted MBP files. It looks like .mbp is for e-readers. http://filext.com/file-extension/MBP

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-11 11:32 AM
    I agree with that suggest of hover over name descriptions, ill talk with the OP about it. MBP files are for ebooks and bluetooth file transfer is a cod that allows sending and receiving files via BT. The issue with the check and uncheck buttons is simple. SAOS and crackmem use same method. Seems everyone is so used to saos because bbh put a put back and shrink button. Our way of doing it is simpler, check to shrink and uncheck to put back. It also maximizes UI simplicity. Checking what to keep makes no sense in my eyes and it will confuse a ton of ppl.

01-25-11 12:38 PM
    Everyone still seems bent on discussing a point which I have ceded. I am no longer debating which items are selected, merely suggesting that an "X" mark the selections instead of a check.
    That could be a limitation of the GUI controls available - a checkbox is just that, it "checks" when selected. There may be some custom checkbox controls out there that permit a X symbol instead - it would make things more "obvious". Perhaps, the checkbox could be retained, but the actual app name/description is greyed-out when you tick it, ie: selecting it for removal greys-out the words.

Here's a very quick mock-up using Visual Basic:

As a programmer and recent BB Shrinker'er, this seems quite logical to me
    01-25-11 01:26 PM
    That could be a limitation of the GUI controls available - a checkbox is just that, it "checks" when selected. There may be some custom checkbox controls out there that permit a X symbol instead - it would make things more "obvious". Perhaps, the checkbox could be retained, but the actual app name/description is greyed-out when you tick it, ie: selecting it for removal greys-out the words.

Here's a very quick mock-up using Visual Basic:

As a programmer and recent BB Shrinker'er, this seems quite logical to me
    Good call, if Jeff coded in vb or c++ then we could collaborate

01-25-11 03:07 PM
    Great program OP. Can't wait for 2.0!
    01-25-11 06:38 PM
    Just did a full wipe and install of 6.0.448. I used BB Boss to eliminate nearly everything, but still found a surprising amount of crap installed itself.

These are the files that I'd love to see eliminated/eliminatable:

World Series of Poker Demo (I know it's just a link, but I want it gone!)
    Bubble Bash Demo (Same as above)
    Mobile Backup (I know I had this one checked in BB Boss)
    Zoompass (Might get pushed from the provider anyhow)
    Rogers Shop (Same as Zoompass)
    Yahoo! Messaging (Had this checked in BB Boss)
    Google Talk (Had this checked in BB Boss)
    Voice Notes (I definitely had this checked in BB Boss)

Also, there was definitely an intro video of some sort that tried to play itself when I first started the phone with the new OS - despite having Startup Video/Music checked in BB Boss.

How do we get these to go away using BB Boss? Seems something's stopping that from happening right now!

Good job, though!

Kevin
    01-25-11 06:41 PM
    Just did a full wipe and install of 6.0.448. I used BB Boss to eliminate nearly everything, but still found a surprising amount of crap installed itself.

These are the files that I'd love to see eliminated/eliminatable:

World Series of Poker Demo (I know it's just a link, but I want it gone!)
    Bubble Bash Demo (Same as above)
    Mobile Backup (I know I had this one checked in BB Boss)
    Zoompass (Might get pushed from the provider anyhow)
    Rogers Shop (Same as Zoompass)
    Yahoo! Messaging (Had this checked in BB Boss)
    Google Talk (Had this checked in BB Boss)
    Voice Notes (I definitely had this checked in BB Boss)

Also, there was definitely an intro video of some sort that tried to play itself when I first started the phone with the new OS - despite having Startup Video/Music checked in BB Boss.

How do we get these to go away using BB Boss? Seems something's stopping that from happening right now!
    A lot of those items are pushed out by Rogers via Service Books. Nothing you can do about that. Just create a folder called "Junk". Move 'em all into there and hide it.
    Last edited by shabbs; 01-25-11 at 08:07 PM.
    01-25-11 07:43 PM
    The "Junk" folder option has been my go-to for years, it gets the job done.

I have my doubts that WSOP, Bubble Bash, Google Chat, and Yahoo IM are pushed by Rogers, particularly since they are present before the wireless connection is ever enabled.

I ZoomPass and Rogers Shop are clearly pushed...no question there.

Why, though, does Mobile Backup and Voice notes remain, even when checked in the system? Why is there a video even when I've checked the option to eliminate it? I'm more inclined to think it's BB Boss not actually pulling them...no knock on the software, consider this to be a bug report, if anything.
    01-25-11 09:03 PM
    It happened when I was trying to install it for the first time, so I just re-installed it and it works - I'm gonna be shrinking 431 so I'll let you know how it goes!
    I got the same code. The program still ran, but it didn't detect my device.
    01-26-11 10:31 AM
    Hi guys,
    I have been trying to use it but it keeps on giving me a message that it could not find the files to open… I connected my BB before and after I started the program and it cannot find it. Is there anything that I am doing incorrectly?

Could you please explain briefly how to use it?

Thanks,
    01-26-11 10:54 AM
    Hi guys,
    I have been trying to use it but it keeps on giving me a message that it could not find the files to open� I connected my BB before and after I started the program and it cannot find it. Is there anything that I am doing incorrectly?

Could you please explain briefly how to use it?

Thanks,
    Did you download a BlackBerry OS and install it on your PC? You need to have an OS installed in order to shrink files out of the OS. You do not connect the device until you are done choosing which files you want to remove.
    jjca likes this.
    01-26-11 10:59 AM
    Did you download a BlackBerry OS and install it on your PC? You need to have an OS installed in order to shrink files out of the OS. You do not connect the device until you are done choosing which files you want to remove.
    thanks for the quick response

so I leave it open and install the OS or close it and install it? :s
    01-26-11 12:56 PM

I suggest you start with the 101 course on Upgrading your BlackBerry OS:

BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com

The shrinking process is done on a local install of the BBOS and prior to upgrading your BB via the loader or DM.
    jjca likes this.
    01-26-11 02:58 PM

you can leave it open and click LAUNCH LOADER.
    That will start the install process.
    jjca likes this.
    01-26-11 03:18 PM
    you won't beleive it i wiped my BB..... i hat to start from "0"....... ''''
    01-26-11 08:04 PM
    you won't beleive it i wiped my BB..... i hat to start from "0"....... ''''
    Doh. Hope you had a backup...
    01-26-11 09:04 PM
    hello people, i have a small problem, bb boss os shrinker does not fully show on my netbook, it's like half of the window is cut off, like the bottom part of it.

here is a screencap of what i'm talking about, please help

edit: and it doesn't let me maximize the window, which i don't know why

JHawaii likes this.
    01-27-11 07:50 AM
    Doh. Hope you had a backup...
    yes I did it was time consuming to put everything back together... one thing is that i could not use the bbboss, when i did the up-grade it gave me error messages....

thanks anyhow.....
    01-27-11 11:22 AM
    hello people, i have a small problem, bb boss os shrinker does not fully show on my netbook, it's like half of the window is cut off, like the bottom part of it.

Yikes. I suspect this is because the app is not a true window that is resizeable.

I'd suggest you temporarily increase your screen resolution so you can see the whole thing. Do your shrink and then set it back to your normal resolution.
    01-27-11 11:44 AM

Have you tried to double-click on the top bar (another way to try and maximize the window)? Click save settings, close and reopen as administrator maybe. I'm not sure, just offering suggestions.

Also it looks like Windows 7, try to click and hold to drag the window to one of the sides to see if it will maximize to one half of the screen.
    Last edited by lnchbx13; 01-27-11 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added more info
    01-27-11 11:44 AM
    Ok, just a quick update here.

The Startup video problem has been fixed and will be in the next update.

I am aware of the problem with the screen resolution and am working on adding DPI awareness to to app to alleviate this issue.

Stay tuned for the new version.

Please send an email to [email protected] if you would like to be placed on the mailing list for updates. No spam will be sent, just update information.
    d33pa likes this.
    01-27-11 06:37 PM
101 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD