Ill stick with BBHtool
    Good for u, we didn't need to know that
    01-18-11 10:54 PM
    An interesting program.

Why do you put in options to remove the languages? DM does that much better.

Likewise why individually remove each carrier's themes. Just remove them all. The phone's Vendor ID will forbid all but one carrier's themes getting loaded anyway and it keeps you UI much simpler.

When I wrote CrackMem I deliberately did not duplicate actions in my program that DM was already able to do.

I have not updataed CrackMem for a while but I now have a pretty much complete list of what is safely removable from most OS6 builds.

Under OS6 one needs to be very careful as to what is removed. For instance, if you remove VAD then you lose the Options function in the Phone app. Take out Tasks and you lose other stuff. OS6 seems a bit to tightly integrated to me. It is almost as if RIM is trying to trip up us OS shrinkers.

I am not criticising your program, just commenting.
    The reason that decided to have the option to remove that information is because most people that shrink their OS have become accustomed to looking in their Java folder and removing things that they don't need. This may be a redundant step, but it ensures complete removal of them, plus it generally makes people feel better when they don't have to go through their list in Apploader and see a bunch of things that they don't need.

I have done a lot of testing myself to try and ensure that it's pretty much child proof, so anything that I, or any of the testers have had an issue with removing, but it's not a HUGE problem has been moved to the Advanced Users section. That way, you've been warned that it may cause undesirable effects.

I am personally running OS6 .418 on my T-Mo 9700 shrunk down, without a hybrid installed and have over 100MB free, get a little over 72 hours on a charge, and lose only about 0.5MB/day...all with heavy usage. I use my BB for work and play, so I put it through it's paces.

I understand that you don't mean anything bad, but you are criticizing, but it's constructive, so I don't take it personally. In fact, I welcome it. other points of view are always welcome, as that's how we all learn. I am not trying to kill anyone else's app, just trying to build on it and make it more accessible to more people.

I welcome questions and concerns, as this is the only way apps get better.
    Last edited by ffejrobins30; 01-19-11 at 12:01 AM.
    01-18-11 11:58 PM
    I am glad that you are taking it the way I intended. It is not my place to throw rocks at someone else's programing efforts. I do enough of that at my own.

I was not even critisizing your logic. I was more commenting on it and asking questions.

It is not easy to write a working program that will reliably remove cods on any PC. I had a lot of trouble with CrackMem to make it work across all PC OSs and to track x32 and x64 versions. There was also a problem when the OS install was split across more than one physical disks. Ultimately I made it work.

I strove hard to have a clean and simple User interface with no hidden options and all options shown on one single panel.

I commend anyone who makes something like this work.

My program has been downloaded 40K+ times so I'm very happy.

I wish you good luck with your efforts.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-19-11 05:26 AM
    Good for u, we didn't need to know that
    awwww so sensitive
    01-19-11 02:58 PM
    he's got a point, why post that you are not going to use/install it?

it's called trolling, and you're a tool for doing it.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-19-11 04:43 PM
    There's no Japanese checkbox. Is that ok?
    01-20-11 12:30 AM
    Hey I just used it. I likey. Removed tons of stuff I never use. Removed all languages and then just manually added them when the AppLoader started. Cheers.
    01-20-11 01:14 AM
    Props for this. I will definitely check it out. Thanks
    01-24-11 04:53 PM
    Is it just me? I tried this program and it shrinked only 44mb.. I put the cods back and shrinked with Hybrid tools and it shrank about 70mb...

Am I doing something wrong? The settings are almost identical, even more in BB Boss OS Shrinker...
    01-24-11 08:30 PM
    Is it just me? I tried this program and it shrinked only 44mb.. I put the cods back and shrinked with Hybrid tools and it shrank about 70mb...

Am I doing something wrong? The settings are almost identical, even more in BB Boss OS Shrinker...
    Are you looking at the right number?

One of them is what the OS started at, one is what it is now, the other is how much changed. You'll want to look at the total modification, not the ending size. 44MB sounds like it's your ending size.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-11 08:34 PM
    Unable to execute file. CreateProcess failed; code 740.
    01-24-11 08:48 PM
    Unable to execute file. CreateProcess failed; code 740.
    Could you email the ini file and the OS build you were using to me at [email protected]

It'll help me figure out what happened

01-24-11 08:50 PM
    Could you email the ini file and the OS build you were using to me at [email protected]

It'll help me figure out what happened

It happened when I was trying to install it for the first time, so I just re-installed it and it works - I'm gonna be shrinking 431 so I'll let you know how it goes!
    01-24-11 08:52 PM
    It happened when I was trying to install it for the first time, so I just re-installed it and it works - I'm gonna be shrinking 431 so I'll let you know how it goes!
    Ok, so it's a problem with the installer, which I didn't build, so we're good...lol

Thanks

01-24-11 08:54 PM
    Shrunk it down to 94.5, everything went great - keep it up!
    01-24-11 08:59 PM
    2.0 will be epic guys
    01-24-11 09:13 PM
    2.0 will be epic guys
    where? where?
    01-24-11 09:30 PM
    where? where?
    gunna be a while til its out
    01-24-11 09:34 PM
    Thanks for this guys! Used it when I loaded up OS v6.0.0.448 on my 9700 and it worked perfectly, freed up a ton of space without me having to go in and pick out files that SAOS does not get.

Very much appreciated. Keep up the great work.

FWIW, I've got 15 apps installed and have 97.2MB free. Nice.

My shrink settings:

Last edited by shabbs; 01-25-11 at 06:38 AM.
    01-25-11 06:17 AM
    I have used both shrinkers before. Whenever I use this one and choose to dump the opening videos (the medialoader kit...) it never does. What am I doing wrong? I always have to use BBSAK afterward and delete separately.
    01-25-11 07:31 AM
    Requests/suggestions for 2.0: Tool tips. When you hover over an category/option it gives you a quick description of what the category/item is/does. Many items are quite obvious, but some aren't - at least not to us lightweight tinkerers. Here are a few I'm uncertain about what they are or if I actually need them: Misc font, Specialty dictionaries, DoD Certs, IT Policy Viewer, OTA Toolkit, all Advanced Options. Having small tool tips would likely be just enough data to help me make more confident decisions to keep/remove.

I also find it counter-intuitive to check the box of items to remove vs. checking the items to keep. I ended up keeping things I didn't want and removing items I did and had to run it twice.
    01-25-11 08:49 AM
    Requests/suggestions for 2.0: Tool tips. When you hover over an category/option it gives you a quick description of what the category/item is/does. Many items are quite obvious, but some aren't - at least not to us lightweight tinkerers. Here are a few I'm uncertain about what they are or if I actually need them: Misc font, Specialty dictionaries, DoD Certs, IT Policy Viewer, OTA Toolkit, all Advanced Options. Having small tool tips would likely be just enough data to help me make more confident decisions to keep/remove.
    Agree with this - would be great info to have.

I also find it counter-intuitive to check the box of items to remove vs. checking the items to keep. I ended up keeping things I didn't want and removing items I did and had to run it twice.
    Disagree with this. The app is a shrinker, it's key function is to remove stuff. Selecting what to remove makes more sense than selecting what to keep.
    01-25-11 09:00 AM
    While on the surface it might seem "logical" to check the items for removal in a shrinker app, the issue at hand is not what the app ultimately does, but how it is most natural to use it. Yet I do see merit in being forced to select specific items for removal.

Alternatively, then, it might be better to use an "X" instead of a check. When going through the list of items you are asking yourself a simple question: "Keep or delete?" A check mark is the mental equivalent of a "Yes" or an affirmative response. It is more natural to think of keeping something in the affirmative than it is for removing something - and therefore more intuitive to check items you want to keep. An "X" more naturally equates to delete or remove, and would seem to be the better representation of your selections.
    01-25-11 09:39 AM
    While on the surface it might seem "logical" to check the items for removal in a shrinker app, the issue at hand is not what the app ultimately does, but how it is most natural to use it. Yet I do see merit in being forced to select specific items for removal.

Alternatively, then, it might be better to use an "X" instead of a check. When going through the list of items you are asking yourself a simple question: "Keep or delete?" A check mark is the mental equivalent of a "Yes" or an affirmative response. It is more natural to think of keeping something in the affirmative than it is for removing something - and therefore more intuitive to check items you want to keep. An "X" more naturally equates to delete or remove, and would seem to be the better representation of your selections.
    After using BB Hybrids Shrinker for a long time and now using this one, I have to disagree with you. It seems much more natural to say...Yes, all this junk is in my OS? I don't want this, and this, and this and put checks in the boxes.
    01-25-11 09:47 AM
    So then the question for the devs becomes: who is the target user? Long-time shrinkers, newbs, or some combination?

Regardless, the alternative I suggested using "X's" still works exactly like you are used to while improving the intuitiveness for others.
    01-25-11 09:54 AM
101 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD