This build is made up of only new cod files to be copied into an existing OS installation. If you plan to shrink your OS (which I highly recommend) you need to do so prior to copying these files into the Java folder.

OS shrinking is a matter of personal preference and different carrier requirements. I personally do not need any language files except US English, so I remove all language files. I remove all games, all fonts (except latin_truetype, which is required by the OS), all themes (except BlackBerry6, again a required file), and basically everything I possibly can remove.

Here is a screenshot of my shrink settings in BBH Tool:

Click to view quoted image

After that shrink is complete, I also manually remove several files that I know are not necessary.
    Wu, thank you for sharing, your shrink is so extensive! Guess 9700s need the shrink
    03-23-12 08:15 PM
    Look at my idle time battery performance last night:

As usual, such a great build just like the other B@stard hybrids.
    03-23-12 10:10 PM
    For some reason I thought the hybrid came with the shrink. But I figured it out earlier but thanks.

I was hoping for a bigger result though. It only went from 133mb to 109.7 MB with the blackberry 6.0.0 System software. I wanted 99 MB just like lester because I download a lot lol.

Question, is there somewhere a download file for the standard/basic ringtones ? Cause if there is, I can shrink it on my OS and just put the ringtones on my memory card so I can have more application storage.
    For your stock ringtones (Stock OS5 tones) you got 2 options to choose from.
    1. Get OS5 ringtones back on your OS6 BlackBerry

2. Upgraded to OS 6 - ringtones now missing - how do I get back?
    03-24-12 12:10 AM
    Thanx wu,,

But one last question:

-the application center what does it do + do u recommaned shrink it ??
    You can shrink that if you want.
    03-24-12 12:12 AM
    Thanx wu,,

But one last question:

-the application center what does it do + do u recommaned shrink it ??
    here's another screenshot of what i take out.. And yes, i take that Application center out too.

What you shrink on your OS is really up to you. If you need it "DON'T SHRINK IT!"... If you don't need it "SHRINK IT!" That's the only way anyone will learn.

03-24-12 12:25 AM
    And one more thing, I too take things out manually after shrinking.
    03-24-12 12:28 AM
    Ok but what does it do??

+

How do u know that it will not affect your phone when removing cods manually??
    03-24-12 02:46 AM
    Ok but what does it do??

+

How do u know that it will not affect your phone when removing cods manually??
    Do we still need the Blackberry Application Center?
    03-24-12 03:41 AM
    I find the standby time is good,I'm getting 0.7%/hour when idle mode.
    03-24-12 03:42 AM
    finally got the change to install this. shrunk all i could, too.

i'll monitor performance during the next few days and report back.

nice job on this hybrid!
    03-24-12 06:24 AM

Thanxs a lot
    03-24-12 08:14 AM
    For the user who PM'd me about a hybrid for the 8520, the best I can offer is to look for the last BDHP build, which I believe worked on multiple OS5 devices.

I haven't built for OS5 in a long time, and most of my resources for doing so are long gone.
    03-24-12 11:42 AM
    how do we get back the voice learning option for voice dialing
    I don't know anything about VAD - I delete it. I've never used it and, frankly, I hate it. But that's my personal preference.

Anyone else know about this?
    03-24-12 11:47 AM
    I don't know anything about VAD - I delete it. I've never used it and, frankly, I hate it. But that's my personal preference.

Anyone else know about this?
    What are people then using for voice dialing then? I use vad all the time when I'm using my bluetooth headset or in-car bluetooth setup.
    03-24-12 12:34 PM
    I have one annoying bug, whenever I want to enlarge someone's display picture on blackberry messenger or ubersocial, the clock appears and the phone freezes for about a minute. Very annoying.
    03-24-12 02:28 PM
    What are people then using for voice dialing then? I use vad all the time when I'm using my bluetooth headset or in-car bluetooth setup.
    You mean you use the voice commands that come with your bluetooth headset not the phone's own voice dialing? Thanks
    03-25-12 03:29 AM
    I have to be total honest and say that this is the worst experience I've had with my blackberry bold. Lack of memory and the non stop freezing. I'm downgrading to 6.0.0.666 right now which for me is the most stable OS released for the bold.
    03-25-12 07:44 PM
    I have to be total honest and say that this is the worst experience I've had with my blackberry bold. Lack of memory and the non stop freezing. I'm downgrading to 6.0.0.666 right now which for me is the most stable OS released for the bold.
    U probably have nt shrinked the os. I have 110 mb free after installation. The hybrid is smooth and fast like most b@stard hybrids.
    03-25-12 09:11 PM
    You mean you use the voice commands that come with your bluetooth headset not the phone's own voice dialing? Thanks
    No I use the vad application that comes with bb os.
    03-26-12 12:12 PM
    I have one annoying bug, whenever I want to enlarge someone's display picture on blackberry messenger or ubersocial, the clock appears and the phone freezes for about a minute. Very annoying.
    Just confirmed that mine does not do this with bbm version 6.1.0.71
    03-26-12 12:14 PM
    I'm now getting this error after every battery pull or soft reset since I loaded this hybrid. I haven't seen it for a long time. Before, I only saw it after the first 2-3 battery pulls but now it's more frequent. Help me please?
    This was the error:

Uncaught exception:
    net.rim.device.api.i18n.
    MissingResourceException
    03-26-12 06:58 PM
    @wu wei: i don't know why, but when i open message n don't closing, my battery drain so much? why do u know?
    03-26-12 10:53 PM
    it may be too early to tell but how is the battery life on this? I'm still using Xarles and I'm really liking it on that one
    03-27-12 12:34 AM
    I have great results in both memory and battery life after a few days of usage, this is after 2 days+ of continuous usage without any battery pull since.

Is an average of -5.4% per hour good? It's better than my Xarles experience of -6.x% per hour. Standby is the same -0.1% per hour.

Only -1.0MB, hehe, normal browsing, no ota installation or installation of any apps from appworld.

Good job Wu! Thanks for the great build, and it cooperated well with .723 too (Xarles didn't work well with .723 in my past experience I resorted to .722, but .723 is really much much more snappier than .722)

Note: I have 3G all the time, and have bluetooth and wifi on all the time too, so they would auto connect to my saved wifi connections and my headset when I'm in my car, so battery life shouldn't be too shabby?
    Last edited by leontam; 03-27-12 at 02:25 AM.
    wu-wei likes this.
    03-27-12 02:18 AM
    My review (Torch 9800)
    Works best on .668 > adr achieved was as low as 0.8.
    On .706 and .723 it went as low as 1.8.
    Memory leaks are bare minimum

thumps up to the B@stards
    wu-wei and ench18 like this.
    03-27-12 02:32 AM
118 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD