B@stard Hybrid 20110808
    Created by wu-wei (theme developer ordinaire and former BDHP member/beta-tester)

This is my latest privately built hybrid. I am releasing this at the request of several users here on CrackBerry. I have run very limited testing on a Bold 9700 using a base OS of 6.0.0.615 as released by Bell Mobility. I have downloaded and analyzed the 6.0.0.615 build for WIND, and the sfi file (also called the radio or platform) appears to be identical to the previous 6.0.0.600 leaked OS for the 9700. Therefore, I do not recommend using that particular vendor's release of 6.0.0.615.

You can get the stock OS installer here.

Change Log:
    • (Almost) Full java swap from 6.0.0.650
    • Includes many files from the latest leaked OS - 7.0.0.303
    • New browser mix (using 303 and 277 files)

Please note, this is a much larger file than my earlier builds. This is because I have included so many files in the swap from 650.

I have not tested this hybrid on any other devices, or on any other OS versions as a base install; however it should work on other devices without issue.

I will not be providing any support for this hybrid. I have not encountered any bugs with this build, but I have not run it through extensive testing either.

To install this hybrid, extract the contents of this zip file into the Java folder of the base OS you choose to use. On my system, these files were extracted into C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9700AllLang_v6.0.0.615_P6.6.0.223\Java.

When you extract the cod files into the folder listed above, you should be prompted to confirm that you want to replace existing files. If you are not prompted, then you are probably trying to extract to the wrong directory and the hybrid files will not be installed on your device.

If you are attempting to install this over any other hybrid, you should first restore the original Java folder for 6.0.0.615 on your PC. A few of the stock files are used in this build, and the proper functioning of this hybrid depends on using those stock files.

I think I mention in my Hybrid OS Installation Guide that I always keep a clean copy of the Java folder for the base OS I am installing over. I do this for bugfixing purposes, or in case I need to revert to a stock OS for some reason. I used it here, when updating to my new build.

If you do not know exactly what you're doing, then you should choose one of the following options:

1. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL THIS HYBRID.
    2. Read my guide on the CrackBerry forums, available here: Hybrid OS Installation Guide
    3. Read any How To posts by elite1 in practically any hybrid or leaked OS thread on CrackBerry.com
    4. Search the CrackBerry forums and read as much as you can find about how the BlackBerry OS loader process works.

Again, I will not provide any support for the installation or operation of this hybrid. It is intended for experienced users.

This package does NOT include any third party applications at all. I build hybrid OSes. I do not promote any apps or force users to choose whether they want to install apps they may or may not want. If you are looking for a particular third party app, I probably have an opinion about it and may be able to tell you where to find it (I'm talking free or paid versions, NOT WAREZ).

Download B@stard Hybrid 20110808
    Last edited by wu-wei; 08-10-11 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Fixing silly typos
    PiotrJot, ench18, hytran and 1 others like this.
    08-09-11 04:06 PM
    Hey Leigh, looks like you been busy, but glad you are keeping up the good work, too bad I don't have a 9700 to test this one out.
    wu-wei likes this.
    08-09-11 04:26 PM
    Let me rate this build! 10 stars overall
    wu-wei likes this.
    08-10-11 12:24 AM
    Is this already shrinked?
    08-10-11 06:17 AM
    Hello wu-wei,

I simply had to post it: I could hardly wait for you posting new hybrid!!

...and of course it had to be today: in an hour going on a business trip, then busy weekend...
    ;-)

For sure, will post my findings after the dust settles
    wu-wei likes this.
    08-10-11 10:05 AM
    Another great job. This time I rememberd to not copy over your BIS files and everything is perfect. Thanks again!
    wu-wei likes this.
    08-10-11 10:25 AM
    Another great job. This time I rememberd to not copy over your BIS files and everything is perfect. Thanks again!
    Sorry for the lag in responding....wasn't getting notifications of new posts.

The BIS files included in this build work for me on T-Mobile. The version is 7.11.0619.1924. I believe I took them from an earlier 7.x leak (probably 7.0.0.258). In fact, I successfully opened and ran the BIS setup on this build last night trying to find potential fixes for a problem with default contact list settings.

The ones that did not work were 7.11.0629.1702, taken from 7.0.0.277.

I haven't tried 7.11.0726.1505, taken from 7.0.0.303.

Regardless, if you leave the BIS files stock and run Setup Wizard, you should be prompted for any upgrades approved by your carrier. That is always the safest bet.
    08-10-11 12:36 PM
    Is this already shrinked?
    That's a tough question, only because the answer is yes and no.

The cod files in this build are the entire Java folder I have installed on my device. So, for me, it is a complete installation...pre-shrunk.

Other users might need other apps, like docs to go, social feeds, podcasts, etc. I don't install those apps, except post-OS installation. Those other apps are typically found in the base OS folder, prior to shrinking.
    08-10-11 12:51 PM
    Link is dead. Can you please re-up?
    08-10-11 01:45 PM
    Link is dead. Can you please re-up?
    Link appears to be working fine....
    08-10-11 01:51 PM
    after installing this hybrid, I found a problem. wifi is connected but I can not run the browser...idk why, coz when i use your hybrid before, it running perfect..what should i do Wu? thanks before
    08-10-11 04:51 PM
    after installing this hybrid, I found a problem. wifi is connected but I can not run the browser...idk why, coz when i use your hybrid before, it running perfect..what should i do Wu? thanks before
    Hmmm....dunno. Let me check it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-11 05:16 PM
    WiFi browsing working fine for me. Make sure you didn't shrink out any wlan cods.

08-10-11 05:18 PM
    Yup, WiFi browsing definitely working for me:

Last edited by wu-wei; 08-10-11 at 06:42 PM.
    08-10-11 06:39 PM
    Alright, why do new leaks always come within three days of when I post a new build? Sigh.
    08-10-11 07:02 PM
    Alright, why do new leaks always come within three days of when I post a new build? Sigh.
    Hello Wu, and haha, I'm already downloading .317 for 9900...I've been using your last two hybrids on my 9700 and no problems so far. Noted improvements on battery life, memory leak and responsiveness. And comparing to other hybrids' threads where you can read people complaining about this COD file missing or that error showing up, I think you could say B@stard are pretty stable hybrids.

So, I've been looking at my 9700 System Readings with BBSAK, saved them and then opened the .txt file on MS Excel to get them sorted by version and then in alphabetical order, and as soon as I get my hands on the .317 cod files, I'll be replacing the ones with .303.

One question, though...what's with the 6.1.0.13, .50, .7 cods and also 7.0.0.115 and .277 ones. Aren't the .303 ones compatible with OS 6? Or are those mixes done to get improved performances proven in the past?

Anyways, as soon as I get results I'll write again on this thread.

Thanks for the great work, Wu!
    08-10-11 08:26 PM
    Hello Wu, and haha, I'm already downloading .317 for 9900...I've been using your last two hybrids on my 9700 and no problems so far. Noted improvements on battery life, memory leak and responsiveness. And comparing to other hybrids' threads where you can read people complaining about this COD file missing or that error showing up, I think you could say B@stard are pretty stable hybrids.

So, I've been looking at my 9700 System Readings with BBSAK, saved them and then opened the .txt file on MS Excel to get them sorted by version and then in alphabetical order, and as soon as I get my hands on the .317 cod files, I'll be replacing the ones with .303.

One question, though...what's with the 6.1.0.13, .50, .7 cods and also 7.0.0.115 and .277 ones. Aren't the .303 ones compatible with OS 6? Or are those mixes done to get improved performances proven in the past?

Anyways, as soon as I get results I'll write again on this thread.

Thanks for the great work, Wu!
    That sounds like exactly my process for mapping/building/comparing hybrids.

My OS6 build spreadsheet is up to column AG, and that's after having deleted several, uh, flawed builds. Just checked, and my OS5 spreadsheet was up to column AH.

I've always said the most efficient way to distribute hybrids is by posting a system read. Do that for me and I'll build it myself.

And as to your question about older cod versions...well, in a word: exactly. Certain cods just don't play well with others, and the legacy versions that are still kicking around are there for a reason.

One of the best examples is the ribbon cod that is 6.0.0.461. That is the newest version that does not cause the Homescreen Preferences bug. I've seen other builds that even use OS5 cods for certain functions. I did not notice any measurable difference by doing so, so I've opted to aim for bleeding edge as much as possible.

I'm glad to see folks enjoying my builds.
    08-10-11 08:37 PM
    OK, I have to say I felt like quite a badass downloading 317 over wifi with my BlackBerry today. Nice to see that the browser can handle a 226 MB download. Of course, I peaked my battery usage at 27% per hour during that session.
    08-10-11 08:49 PM
    Ok, this is what didn't work after using the .317 cods:left untouched all 6.1 cods and replaced all the 7.0.0.xxx cods from the latest B@stard with .317 (stubborn guy I am). Got a white screen. Wiping time!

What worked was leaving the 7.0.0.115 cods untouched too and replaced the .277 and .303 cods...now I'm rocking a new updated B@stard thanks to your guiding Wu. Although, I think, unless a new leak for 9700 comes out with a new radio file, I'll be replacing the .615 one since I've been getting "A communication error..." message on browsin a lot since I installed the clean leak. Maybe will roll back to .600 since it's has proven to be a stable radio. Thanks again, Wu!

08-11-11 07:50 AM
    What worked was leaving the 7.0.0.115 cods untouched too and replaced the .277 and .303 cods.
    I should have mentioned that I (very recently) tried updating each of the 7.0.0.115 cod files one at a time. I replaced all that I could (there used to be many more). Any that remain are required and, if replaced, will cause errors.

Obviously you figured that out already, but I wanted to share that bit of info.
    08-11-11 07:55 AM
    New build in the works....trying a few new things. Nothing major, but trying them nonetheless.
    ench18 likes this.
    08-11-11 11:11 AM
    New build in the works....trying a few new things. Nothing major, but trying them nonetheless.
    I know it'll confuse the less experienced, but if it's nothing major, perhaps release a delta version over this one if it's doable? Just a thought...
    08-11-11 11:23 AM
    I know it'll confuse the less experienced, but if it's nothing major, perhaps release a delta version over this one if it's doable? Just a thought...
    It's the "few new things" that should not be major. Upgrading some files that I had downgraded last build and which, I think, affected performance slightly.

Trust me, I would prefer not to have to do yet another dang OS install already - it gets old, man. Sigh.

I'm about to load to device for some real-world testing, and should be posting later today.
    08-11-11 11:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD