B@stard Hybrid: Ahead (20120727)

Created by wu-wei

Those of you who regularly use my builds know the drill, but this one incorporates new files from the recently-released 7.1.0.580 OS.

I have also modified several files based on feedback from my testers.

I have officially given up on fixing the closing page error on the 9700. I disable javascript unless absolutely necessary, and I avoid script-heavy pages anyway.

This build has been able to maintain radio to 3% battery; media lag is still a hit-or-miss proposition (seems very dependent on individual devices); and we fixed a few other lingering problems that are escaping me right now - this build has been through fairly extensive testing.

My hybrids go through testing on several devices, and I am confident that my builds work well on all OS6 devices.

Recommended base OS versions:

9300: 6.0.0.723
    9650: 6.0.0.707 (or 6.0.0.719)
    9700: 6.0.0.723
    9780: 6.0.0.723
    9800: 6.0.0.723

While these base OSes are recommended, Ahead will work over any 6.0.0.6xx or .7xx OS. If you have found another OS in those series that works best for you, certainly feel free to use that one instead.

Please note that some users have reported a "break-in" period with any hybrid. That is, the first day or so has poor battery life, but then things stabilize and we start sipping at the battery again. Battery life is critically important to me, so I am always mindful of those issues (and reluctant to leave my beloved 9700 for some shiny new OS7 device). I have not experienced this phenomenon myself, but I did want to mention that it is possible.

To install this hybrid, extract the contents of this zip file into the Java folder of the base OS you choose to use. On my system, these files were extracted into C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9700M_v6.0.0.723_P6.6.0.248\Java.

When you extract the cod files into the folder listed above, you should be prompted to confirm that you want to replace existing files. If you are not prompted, then you are probably trying to extract to the wrong directory and the hybrid files will not be installed on your device.

If you do not know exactly what you're doing, then you should choose one of the following options:

1. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL THIS HYBRID.
    2. Read my guide on the CrackBerry forums, available here: Hybrid OS Installation Guide
    3. Read any How To posts by elite1 in practically any hybrid or leaked OS thread on CrackBerry.com
    4. Search the CrackBerry forums and read as much as you can find about how the BlackBerry OS loader process works.

This package does NOT include any third party applications at all. I build hybrid OSes. I do not promote any apps or force users to choose whether they want to install apps they may not want. If you are looking for a particular third party app, I probably have an opinion about it and may be able to tell you where to find it (I'm talking free or paid versions, NOT WAREZ).

Many thanks to my tireless and intrepid team:
    • ench18
    • bintaro_gw
    • bmercer94
    • evered78
    • kev23m
    • leontam
    • lordnorms
    • Soulja Boy
    • walestrings

Download Ahead
    Last edited by wu-wei; 07-31-12 at 09:18 AM.
    07-31-12 03:12 AM
    Sweet

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    07-31-12 05:02 AM
    thanks for this
    07-31-12 05:40 AM
    eventhough you have officially give up on fixing closing page error, but the last time , in Agile, some of website i can browse with an ease - yes , some closing page error are gone. i mean SOME.not all.good job Wu! hehe.. can't wait to see what Ahead can do.
    07-31-12 06:08 AM
    Lovely build. Stable and smooth. I agree with the page closing error. Same page will go thru sometimes and an error the other. Just limitation of the handset.

Cheers & thanks for the hard work.
    07-31-12 06:56 AM
    I had forgotten to include bintaro_gw in the list of folks who tested and provided feedback - he jumped in the mix after Agile was initially released and I was lazy (and tired) when I posted this thread.

I have edited to include him, as his assistance was greatly appreciated. The entire team was incredibly helpful and they all deserve a great deal of acknowledgment for helping me produce a very solid build.
    07-31-12 09:15 AM
    eventhough you have officially give up on fixing closing page error, but the last time , in Agile, some of website i can browse with an ease - yes , some closing page error are gone. i mean SOME.not all.good job Wu! hehe.. can't wait to see what Ahead can do.
    Lovely build. Stable and smooth. I agree with the page closing error. Same page will go thru sometimes and an error the other. Just limitation of the handset.

Cheers & thanks for the hard work.
    Well, it seems there is no limit to either poor coding or heavy script use (not sure which factor is a bigger concern for mobile browsing).

While someone will always find a page that will trigger the error, I do believe the current build (as well as Agile) is more stable and robust in terms of handling larger pages.

So, while I am admitting that users may still see the closing page issue, it should occur less frequently.
    07-31-12 09:22 AM
    Great work Wu!
    This build is the best (as of now) that one can get!
    Fast and accurate gps lock, snappy performance, PIN messaging, and no camera/picture review lag as of testing period.

I highly recommend using 723 base (yes, you can get back PIN messaging with this one!)

On a Bold 9780 with 6.0.0.723 base
    Last edited by leontam; 07-31-12 at 09:51 AM.
    07-31-12 09:45 AM
    Speedy reboot, speedy browser.
    Though I'm facing some battery problems maybe its coz the device is yet to settle with this new OS. I hope it would be fine after 12 or maybe 24 hrs.
    A great build wu wei! I love all your builds!

Btw i wanted to ask something.

Is Ahead better than Raikkohad V11 CNY Edition?
    Coz Raikkohad offers System Software 7.1 whereas Ahead offers 6.0.0.723. Most the apps in Raikkohad are 7.1 which includes the browser too.
    I'm soo very confused!
    07-31-12 09:52 AM
    B@stard Hybrid: Ahead (20120727)

Created by wu-wei

Those of you who regularly use my builds know the drill, but this one incorporates new files from the recently-released 7.1.0.580 OS.

I have also modified several files based on feedback from my testers.

I have officially given up on fixing the closing page error on the 9700. I disable javascript unless absolutely necessary, and I avoid script-heavy pages anyway.

This build has been able to maintain radio to 3% battery; media lag is still a hit-or-miss proposition (seems very dependent on individual devices); and we fixed a few other lingering problems that are escaping me right now - this build has been through fairly extensive testing.

My hybrids go through testing on several devices, and I am confident that my builds work well on all OS6 devices.

Recommended base OS versions:

9300: 6.0.0.723
    9650: 6.0.0.707 (or 6.0.0.719)
    9700: 6.0.0.723
    9780: 6.0.0.723
    9800: 6.0.0.723

While these base OSes are recommended, Ahead will work over any 6.0.0.6xx or .7xx OS. If you have found another OS in those series that works best for you, certainly feel free to use that one instead.

Please note that some users have reported a "break-in" period with any hybrid. That is, the first day or so has poor battery life, but then things stabilize and we start sipping at the battery again. Battery life is critically important to me, so I am always mindful of those issues (and reluctant to leave my beloved 9700 for some shiny new OS7 device). I have not experienced this phenomenon myself, but I did want to mention that it is possible.

To install this hybrid, extract the contents of this zip file into the Java folder of the base OS you choose to use. On my system, these files were extracted into C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9700M_v6.0.0.723_P6.6.0.248\Java.

When you extract the cod files into the folder listed above, you should be prompted to confirm that you want to replace existing files. If you are not prompted, then you are probably trying to extract to the wrong directory and the hybrid files will not be installed on your device.

If you do not know exactly what you're doing, then you should choose one of the following options:

1. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL THIS HYBRID.
    2. Read my guide on the CrackBerry forums, available here: Hybrid OS Installation Guide
    3. Read any How To posts by elite1 in practically any hybrid or leaked OS thread on CrackBerry.com
    4. Search the CrackBerry forums and read as much as you can find about how the BlackBerry OS loader process works.

This package does NOT include any third party applications at all. I build hybrid OSes. I do not promote any apps or force users to choose whether they want to install apps they may not want. If you are looking for a particular third party app, I probably have an opinion about it and may be able to tell you where to find it (I'm talking free or paid versions, NOT WAREZ).

Many thanks to my tireless and intrepid team:
    • ench18
    • bintaro_gw
    • bmercer94
    • evered78
    • kev23m
    • leontam
    • lordnorms
    • Soulja Boy
    • walestrings

Download Ahead
    Hi wu-wei. I have had a lot of troubles with the AppWorld on your last version (Agile) on my BB 9700. First of all after 2 downloads at the beginning it asks to update. Done that it also installs Blackberry ID (I don't know why) then after I log in it says simply that it cannot download anything while I am offline. I don't have BIS, I have a regular internet service of 500 MB a month. In order to resolve this problem I tried to install the service books. The google maps starts to work but not the appworld. I don't know what to do. I'll try to install this version. Hope it works. Thanks
    07-31-12 10:31 AM
    There is no 7.1 system software. That is just changing version in the alx file. 7.1.0.580 cods are used with ahead.
    Which is better?
    Use and see which works well for you.
    07-31-12 10:33 AM
    Downloaded and will be installing within the next half an hour
    Thanks a lot too everyone who has put some hard work into the hybrid
    07-31-12 11:19 AM
    Will load this as soon as it's done downloading. still no ideas as to why for my freezing issue. will try over stock before loading over BL5

For any concerned, no the freezing isn't due to Wu's hybrids, it's an issue with my handset specifically, as i have the same issue whether i use a hybrid or stock(except BL hybrids, which seem to work fine)
    Last edited by bmercer94; 07-31-12 at 11:49 AM.
    07-31-12 11:37 AM
    Will load this as soon as it's done downloading. still no ideas as to why for my freezing issue. will try over stock before loading over BL5

For any concerned, no the freezing isn't due to Wu's hybrids, it's an issue with my handset specifically, as i have the same issue whether i use a hybrid or stock(except BL hybrids, which seem to work fine)
    Prior to upgrading to Agile, I was using BL5 and media rendering was fast and smooth, as well. So if this lag is occuring on the .723 stock OS then it sounds like it will have to be corrected by RIM via a future release to the base OS for the 9700.

Good information. Thanks!
    07-31-12 01:33 PM
    There is no 7.1 system software. That is just changing version in the alx file. 7.1.0.580 cods are used with ahead.
    Which is better?
    Use and see which works well for you.
    Not true, if you have inserted enough 7.1 the system would recognise it as 7.1 (look at BLFF).
    wu-wei likes this.
    07-31-12 02:58 PM
    Does anyone else have an issue with Tapatalk? My tapatalk does not want to postin any forum since I installed Ahead any help?
    07-31-12 04:50 PM
    Does anyone else have an issue with Tapatalk? My tapatalk does not want to postin any forum since I installed Ahead any help?
    If you are running the latest .8 version from appworld, the developer is aware and have sent a new build out.

Unfortunately I am not able to share my older .5 version due to it is a paid app.
    wu-wei likes this.
    07-31-12 05:00 PM
    Hope it gets fixed soon can't go without Tapatalk lol guess I'll have to wait then
    Last edited by Erniesmit; 07-31-12 at 07:29 PM.
    07-31-12 07:23 PM
    excellent. can't wait to try this out. thanks wu.
    07-31-12 08:23 PM
    Was waiting for this release
    Just installed thanks.

Sent from my iOS using Tapatalk
    08-01-12 04:06 AM
    Hope it gets fixed soon can't go without Tapatalk lol guess I'll have to wait then

Seems .9 fixed the issue it is up on appworld my end.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 powered by BerryLicio.us
    08-01-12 04:31 AM
    i cant get tapatalk .7 to work, so I'll use the CB forums app

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    08-01-12 07:05 AM
    Oky now that tapatalk is fixed I can continue lol
    Installed Ahead
    Fast boot up
    Smooth no lag at all
    No lag in picture gallary also no lag after taking a picture
    Browser for me is a little better than Agile's
    Battery discharge/hour in the last 8 hours avarage -8.0%
    Installed it over .723 base
    Thanks again Wu-wei and his team
    Great hybrid

Sent From My Good Old BlackBerry 9700 Using Tapatalk
    wu-wei likes this.
    08-01-12 07:39 AM
    Seems .9 fixed the issue it is up on appworld my end.

I've seen it thank you

Sent From My Good Old BlackBerry 9700 Using Tapatalk
    08-01-12 07:41 AM
    I have a very slow boot up speed no matter which hybrid OS I install. It takes about 5-6 minutes for reboot. Any solution to make it a bit faster?

P.S Currently using Ahead and have 220mb free storage space on my device and a 8gb memory card out of which 4gb is occupied.
    08-01-12 12:00 PM
100 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD