07-18-12 09:01 PM
74 123
tools
    B@stard Hybrid: Afterburner (20120705)

Created by wu-wei

Those of you who regularly use my builds know the drill, but this one incorporates new files from the just-released 7.1.0.536 OS.

I have also modified several files based on the my testing of the Haze fork of Aethereal. That testing did not fix the "closing page" error, but it did produce a more stable OS experience for me.

My hybrids go through testing on the Bold 9700 platform. I have received reports that my builds work well on all OS6 devices.

Recommended base OS versions:

9300: 6.0.0.723
    9650: 6.0.0.707 (or 6.0.0.719)
    9700: 6.0.0.723
    9780: 6.0.0.723
    9800: 6.0.0.723

While these base OSes are recommended, Afterburner will work over any 6.0.0.6xx or .7xx OS. If you have found another OS in those series that works best for you, certainly feel free to use that one instead.

Please note that some users have reported a "break-in" period with any hybrid. That is, the first day or so has poor battery life, but then things stabilize and we start sipping at the battery again. Battery life is critically important to me, so I am always mindful of those issues (and reluctant to leave my beloved 9700 for some shiny new OS7 device). I have not experienced this phenomenon myself, but I did want to mention that it is possible.

I have not personally tested this hybrid on any other devices, or on any other OS versions as a base install; however it should work on other devices without issue.

I have not encountered any bugs with this build, but I have not run it through extensive testing either.

To install this hybrid, extract the contents of this zip file into the Java folder of the base OS you choose to use. On my system, these files were extracted into C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9700M_v6.0.0.723_P6.6.0.248\Java.

When you extract the cod files into the folder listed above, you should be prompted to confirm that you want to replace existing files. If you are not prompted, then you are probably trying to extract to the wrong directory and the hybrid files will not be installed on your device.

If you do not know exactly what you're doing, then you should choose one of the following options:

1. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL THIS HYBRID.
    2. Read my guide on the CrackBerry forums, available here: Hybrid OS Installation Guide
    3. Read any How To posts by elite1 in practically any hybrid or leaked OS thread on CrackBerry.com
    4. Search the CrackBerry forums and read as much as you can find about how the BlackBerry OS loader process works.

This package does NOT include any third party applications at all. I build hybrid OSes. I do not promote any apps or force users to choose whether they want to install apps they may not want. If you are looking for a particular third party app, I probably have an opinion about it and may be able to tell you where to find it (I'm talking free or paid versions, NOT WAREZ).

Many thanks to ench18 for testing, feedback, friendship, and the occasional (ok, frequent) bullsh!t session.

Download Afterburner
    07-06-12 02:24 PM
    Awesome I've been waiting for a new hybrid I'll be installing it now on my 9700 and will let you know how it goes
    07-06-12 02:27 PM
    finally release the new hybrids, permission to try on my device
    07-06-12 08:27 PM
    BEAUTIFUL. i tried BDHP7 today(loaded yesterday at noon) and it's been pretty terrible. Can't wait. downloading and loading now, thanks Wu.
    07-06-12 08:50 PM
    Got App error 523. going back to aethereal for now. Will see what went wrong when i get free..
    07-06-12 11:24 PM
    can i use this hybrid with another hybrid?
    07-07-12 12:28 AM
    Got App error 523. going back to aethereal for now. Will see what went wrong when i get free..
    My bad while shrinking, got the same problem with default os. Redoing the entire process now.
    wu-wei likes this.
    07-07-12 01:34 AM
    Installed it without a hitch
    07-07-12 03:26 AM
    Finally released it eh Leigh.
    07-07-12 06:51 AM
    Is tiny meter's battery reading always accurate. It bothers me when I get avr of -9.0 and others here report avr of -1.0. Or cud it be that my battery is weak?
    07-07-12 08:41 AM
    Installed without a problem, running it now, left it off charge overnight. ADR 3.5% I installed it right after my earlier post. Running fine, working well. There was no usage for the 3.5%, just idling

Unfortunately, i can't bring myself to keep os6. i miss os5. as odd as that may sound, Running B@stard for OS5
    Last edited by bmercer94; 07-07-12 at 10:14 AM.
    07-07-12 08:50 AM
    Thanks for this! I might try this one when I get home.
    07-07-12 12:02 PM
    what the difference between your last one and this one?
    07-07-12 02:02 PM
    what the difference between your last one and this one?
    ...this one incorporates new files from the just-released 7.1.0.536 OS.

I have also modified several files based on the my testing of the Haze fork of Aethereal. That testing did not fix the "closing page" error, but it did produce a more stable OS experience for me.
    There you have it.
    07-07-12 02:09 PM
    Installed without a problem, running it now, left it off charge overnight. ADR 3.5% I installed it right after my earlier post. Running fine, working well. There was no usage for the 3.5%, just idling

Unfortunately, i can't bring myself to keep os6. i miss os5. as odd as that may sound, Running B@stard for OS5
    Check the battery logs...I'm willing to bet it wasn't draining at 3.5% the entire idle time. That is just the average discharge rate.

My install has only seen a minimum of 0.6%, and an average of over 6%. I think that's typical for the first day or so. Plus I've been on the phone a lot, which drains battery significantly.
    07-07-12 02:12 PM
    Check the battery logs...I'm willing to bet it wasn't draining at 3.5% the entire idle time. That is just the average discharge rate.

My install has only seen a minimum of 0.6%, and an average of over 6%. I think that's typical for the first day or so. Plus I've been on the phone a lot, which drains battery significantly.
    Btw, how can I check the Battery Logs?
    07-07-12 02:53 PM
    BB Key> Show Battery Log

And Wu, i had around 12% battery use prior to idling, for installing apps on wifi, the actual idling ADR was closer to 0.4%/hr. Reloading it now, as i keep flip-flopping between os5 and os6. i like the way os5 works on the 9300, but i love what you've done with os6.
    Last edited by bmercer94; 07-07-12 at 06:04 PM.
    07-07-12 05:40 PM
    Wu, do you recommend me to update to this hybrid? I'm using Aethereal atm and works awesome.
    07-08-12 12:26 AM
    Can anyone say what the objectives of this hybrid are, or should I look at the earlier build threads? Does it increase battery life, improve 3G connectivity, increase RAM, reduce spinning clocks..?
    07-08-12 04:27 AM
    Was on Aethereal and .723 base, was happy with the application responsiveness but appeared to have cracking or choppy voice calls, so this time I went back to .722 base with Afterburner installed. Will report back results after a few days of usage

Thanks Wu!
    07-08-12 04:44 AM
    Can anyone say what the objectives of this hybrid are, or should I look at the earlier build threads? Does it increase battery life, improve 3G connectivity, increase RAM, reduce spinning clocks..?
    The reason for this hybrid is: in Wu's testing of "Aethereal Haze" he found a way to make a more stable hybrid, plus there were new 7.x cods leaked/released, so he added them in exchange for the "older" ones in Aethereal.
    wu-wei likes this.
    07-08-12 08:28 AM
    I was referring to the battery logs in Tiny Meter, just FYI.
    07-08-12 12:01 PM
    Solid as usual.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    wu-wei likes this.
    07-08-12 12:24 PM
    I'm impressed once again Wu, after 6 hours of wifi connectivity and media player usage:

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    wu-wei likes this.
    07-08-12 01:00 PM
    Just wondering, if I wanted to install this on top of Aethereal is that possible? Just replace the CODs and use Apploader?

Cause i tried that and it showed nothing to update.
    07-08-12 01:14 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD