07-07-12 08:48 AM
172 123 ...
tools
    [email protected] Hybrid: Aethereal (20120621)

Created by wu-wei

Those of you who regularly use my builds know the drill, but this one incorporates new files from the just-released 7.1.0.523 OS.

My hybrids go through testing on the Bold 9700 platform. I have received reports that my builds work well on 9300, 9650, 9780 and 9800 devices, too.

Recommended base OS versions:

9300: 6.0.0.723
    9650: 6.0.0.707 (or 6.0.0.719)
    9700: 6.0.0.723
    9780: 6.0.0.723
    9800: 6.0.0.723

While these base OSes are recommended, Aethereal will work over any 6.0.0.6xx or .7xx OS. If you have found another OS in those series that works best for you, certainly feel free to use that one instead.

Please note that some users have reported a "break-in" period with any hybrid. That is, the first day or so has poor battery life, but then things stabilize and we start sipping at the battery again. Battery life is critically important to me, so I am always mindful of those issues (and reluctant to leave my beloved 9700 for some shiny new OS7 device). I have not experienced this phenomenon myself, but I did want to mention that it is possible.

I have not personally tested this hybrid on any other devices, or on any other OS versions as a base install; however it should work on other devices without issue.

I have not encountered any bugs with this build, but I have not run it through extensive testing either.

To install this hybrid, extract the contents of this zip file into the Java folder of the base OS you choose to use. On my system, these files were extracted into C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9700M_v6.0.0.723_P6.6.0.248\Java.

When you extract the cod files into the folder listed above, you should be prompted to confirm that you want to replace existing files. If you are not prompted, then you are probably trying to extract to the wrong directory and the hybrid files will not be installed on your device.

If you do not know exactly what you're doing, then you should choose one of the following options:

1. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL THIS HYBRID.
    2. Read my guide on the CrackBerry forums, available here: Hybrid OS Installation Guide
    3. Read any How To posts by elite1 in practically any hybrid or leaked OS thread on CrackBerry.com
    4. Search the CrackBerry forums and read as much as you can find about how the BlackBerry OS loader process works.

This package does NOT include any third party applications at all. I build hybrid OSes. I do not promote any apps or force users to choose whether they want to install apps they may not want. If you are looking for a particular third party app, I probably have an opinion about it and may be able to tell you where to find it (I'm talking free or paid versions, NOT WAREZ).

Many thanks to ench18 for testing, feedback, friendship, and the occasional (ok, frequent) bullsh!t session.

Download Aethereal
    ench18, tang63, lordnorms and 16 others like this.
    06-22-12 07:42 AM
    OMGGGGG.

FIRST POST

I got to have it.

Just when my Adrenaline (not glow) stabilised over the weekday, I get Aethereal. lololol. <3 <3 <3 this.

1 Thanks isnt enough.

+1000000000 thanks to Wu Wei.
    06-22-12 07:55 AM
    OMGGGGG.

FIRST POST

I got to have it.
    Get your USB cable and fire up your PC or Laptop and try it! It runs great as always. Enjoy!
    tang63, lordnorms and wu-wei like this.
    06-22-12 07:58 AM
    Hello wu, pretty fast as you always did with your builds, ill congraluate you on that btw, can you help me out with the resource_cod? I got a question here, did you know which os7 or os7.1 that not have the BB bullet bug adjacent to the 3G symbol? Im using various builds and all did i do was, replace the resource_cod with version 7.0.0.187 for the bullets to be as alike os6 (cause only this version of os7 i knew that has no problem with the BB bullet adjacent with 3G symbol). Any idea?
    06-22-12 07:58 AM
    Get your USB cable and fire up your PC or Laptop and try it! It runs great as always. Enjoy!
    HAHA. already prepping up the cables and the files.
    06-22-12 08:07 AM
    Are there 66 files in this hybrid? It is smaller than adrenaline. I notice to battery's life. I'll test this hybrid tks u
    06-22-12 08:12 AM
    Just loaded in the OS together with all my data and apps.

Will keep u posted. So far the memory is very good. Love the lightweight build.

It boots up INSANELY fast (2nd reboot onwards)
    Last edited by tang63; 06-22-12 at 08:52 AM.
    wu-wei likes this.
    06-22-12 08:45 AM
    woot woot. Ready to load boss.
    wu-wei likes this.
    06-22-12 08:56 AM
    Hello wu, pretty fast as you always did with your builds, ill congraluate you on that btw, can you help me out with the resource_cod? I got a question here, did you know which os7 or os7.1 that not have the BB bullet bug adjacent to the 3G symbol? Im using various builds and all did i do was, replace the resource_cod with version 7.0.0.187 for the bullets to be as alike os6 (cause only this version of os7 i knew that has no problem with the BB bullet adjacent with 3G symbol). Any idea?
    I'm not sure in which version the resource file changed, but I've just reverted it back to base OS so as to avoid the issue altogether.
    06-22-12 09:06 AM
    Are there 66 files in this hybrid? It is smaller than adrenaline. I notice to battery's life. I'll test this hybrid tks u
    Yes, just 66 files in this build.

Acacia and Adrenaline included lots of 6.0.0.707 files and were, in essence, java swaps.

Doing that, though, meant that those builds were limited to base OSes over 700.

I removed all those 707 files so this build can be installed over a broader range of systems and devices.
    06-22-12 09:09 AM
    The new 7.1 OS includes the Application Resource Monitor. For those who aren't familiar, here's the app description:

BlackBerry Application Resource Monitor will monitor running processes to identify and shutdown those with background operations that contribute to excessive resource consumption.

I tried installing it on OS6, but no joy.
    lordnorms likes this.
    06-22-12 09:29 AM
    There are newer versions of several other apps, too, but in my experience those won't run on OS6 either.
    06-22-12 09:32 AM
    BlackBerry Application Resource Monitor will monitor running processes to identify and shutdown those with background operations that contribute to excessive resource consumption.

wow I see. thats cool to have on my BB. but then again, every now and then i check my memory usage, and there isn't any app for me that drains a lot. the usual apps i leave on standby are whatsapp, quicklaunch and thats about it. the other apps are inactive.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    06-22-12 09:59 AM
    There are newer versions of several other apps, too, but in my experience those won't run on OS6 either.
    wu, can you please extract the email setup from that build? sorry if it's too much. thanks.
    ViN57xD likes this.
    06-22-12 10:23 AM
    This build is amazing ! Very responsive. And that browser..... The best !
    wu-wei likes this.
    06-22-12 12:06 PM
    wu, can you please extract the email setup from that build? sorry if it's too much. thanks.
    I sure will - I'll zip it up and email it to you.

I will also point out that the last 7.x version of the BIS files that worked for me was 7.11.0619.1924

The current BIS version in the latest 9900 OS is 72.12.0517.1328 (no, the 72 isn't a typo).

I don't know whether that will work in an OS6 hybrid...or on OS6 at all.
    lordnorms likes this.
    06-22-12 12:27 PM
    I sure will - I'll zip it up and email it to you.

I will also point out that the last 7.x version of the BIS files that worked for me was 7.11.0619.1924

The current BIS version in the latest 9900 OS is 72.12.0517.1328 (no, the 72 isn't a typo).

I don't know whether that will work in an OS6 hybrid...or on OS6 at all.

Well, that's worth a try then.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    06-22-12 12:35 PM
    Wu, do you think that if i swap the resource_cod file between os7.1 and os7.0, it will effect the performance, battery, etc? Cause from what i heard, it just the homescreen cod and have nothing to do with performance etc, am i right wu?
    06-22-12 12:49 PM
    Wu, do you think that if i swap the resource_cod file between os7.1 and os7.0, it will effect the performance, battery, etc? Cause from what i heard, it just the homescreen cod and have nothing to do with performance etc, am i right wu?
    I don't think changing that one file will have a significant impact on performance, but you can certainly give it a shot.

And yes, the only issue caused by using later versions of that file was the wifi bullet placement on 3G connections.
    06-22-12 01:13 PM
    I don't think changing that one file will have a significant impact on performance, but you can certainly give it a shot.

And yes, the only issue caused by using later versions of that file was the wifi bullet placement on 3G connections.
    Well, in that case, problem solved! thanks wu!
    06-22-12 01:19 PM
    whoa..that's fast. i will try now
    06-22-12 03:47 PM
    The new 7.1 OS includes the Application Resource Monitor. For those who aren't familiar, here's the app description:

so, that app is not available for me that run Hybrid OS?
    06-22-12 04:10 PM
    Loaded Aethereal an hour ago, down 2mb, and 5% battery, but it's still breaking in, so that's remarkable for breakin period. Will post again in a day or two. Good job Wu

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    wu-wei likes this.
    06-22-12 05:43 PM
    When you extract the COD files over top of the base, do you shrink (BB Boss or BBHtool) as well? I've never done a hybrid before so I want to make sure I'm not doing something bad and brick my phone.
    wu-wei likes this.
    06-22-12 09:30 PM
    9900 can't run this hybrid adam, this is for os6 phones, but yes, you would extract the cods over base, then shrink.
    wu-wei likes this.
    06-22-12 09:31 PM
172 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD