B@stard Hybrid: Abalone (20120525)

Created by wu-wei (theme developer ordinaire and former BDHP member/beta-tester)

Well, that was quick.

This release is essentially an update of the files that were 7.1.0.428 in Aardvark - several have been updated to 7.1.0.437. I also made numerous other changes based on feedback in several of my threads as well as my own experiences.

Abalone uses the same basic architecture as Pierre. I am recommending the multi-language 6.0.0.723 base for 9700. I have been very happy with the performance of the 723 files, though I have also had excellent results running my builds over 6.0.0.668.

My hybrids go through testing on the Bold 9700 platform. I have received reports that my builds work well on 9300, 9650, 9780 and 9800 devices, too.

Recommended base OS versions:

9300: 6.0.0.668
    9650: 6.0.0.707
    9700: 6.0.0.723
    9780: 6.0.0.723
    9800: 6.0.0.723

I will note that several users have reported a "break-in" period with my hybrids. That is, the first day or so has poor battery life, but then things stabilize and we start sipping at the battery again. Battery life is critically important to me, so I am always mindful of those issues (and reluctant to leave my beloved 9700 for some shiny new OS7 device). I have not experienced this phenomenon myself, but I did want to mention that it is possible.

I have not personally tested this hybrid on any other devices, or on any other OS versions as a base install; however it should work on other devices without issue.

I will not be providing any support for this hybrid. I have not encountered any bugs with this build, but I have not run it through extensive testing either.

To install this hybrid, extract the contents of this zip file into the Java folder of the base OS you choose to use. On my system, these files were extracted into C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9700M_v6.0.0.723_P6.6.0.248\Java.

When you extract the cod files into the folder listed above, you should be prompted to confirm that you want to replace existing files. If you are not prompted, then you are probably trying to extract to the wrong directory and the hybrid files will not be installed on your device.

If you do not know exactly what you're doing, then you should choose one of the following options:

1. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL THIS HYBRID.
    2. Read my guide on the CrackBerry forums, available here: Hybrid OS Installation Guide
    3. Read any How To posts by elite1 in practically any hybrid or leaked OS thread on CrackBerry.com
    4. Search the CrackBerry forums and read as much as you can find about how the BlackBerry OS loader process works.

Again, I will not provide any support for the installation or operation of this hybrid. It is intended for experienced users.

This package does NOT include any third party applications at all. I build hybrid OSes. I do not promote any apps or force users to choose whether they want to install apps they may or may not want. If you are looking for a particular third party app, I probably have an opinion about it and may be able to tell you where to find it (I'm talking free or paid versions, NOT WAREZ).

Many thanks to ench18 for testing and feedback.

Download Abalone
    Last edited by wu-wei; 05-26-12 at 02:10 PM.
    05-25-12 01:09 PM
    Wow , thats fast wu ! Well done and thanks again
    wu-wei likes this.
    05-25-12 03:10 PM
    I've found when running hybrids that a battery pull 5-6 times over the first 24-48 hours after install will help the OS settle very nicely, I average 8-10% battery drain that first day or two and then I see an average of 2-4% afterwards. My current hybrid is averaging around 2.4 daily drain with bbm, web, 6 email accounts and multiple apps running throughout the day.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Crackberry Forums
    05-25-12 03:26 PM
    Wow , thats fast wu ! Well done and thanks again
    Yeah, I've gotten pretty good at turning these around and knowing where trouble lurks.

Enjoy the build!
    05-25-12 04:33 PM
    I've found when running hybrids that a battery pull 5-6 times over the first 24-48 hours after install will help the OS settle very nicely, I average 8-10% battery drain that first day or two and then I see an average of 2-4% afterwards. My current hybrid is averaging around 2.4 daily drain with bbm, web, 6 email accounts and multiple apps running throughout the day.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Crackberry Forums
    Sounds about right for battery discharge rates.....but isn't the 85x0 series still stuck with OS5? Not that that's a bad thing, just curious.
    05-25-12 04:35 PM
    I want to know why the 3G sign is adjacent to the blackberry logo. Only happens to me with this hybrid

05-25-12 05:42 PM
    I want to know why the 3G sign is adjacent to the blackberry logo. Only happens to me with this hybrid

Click to view quoted image
    Someone else asked me about this before - slayohslay, I think.

It just occurred to me, it might have something to do with the fact I use a legacy ribbon_app file (6.0.0.461) so as to avoid the home screen preferences bug. But I'm not positive.
    rizz0r likes this.
    05-25-12 06:15 PM
    Hey wu, remember the alx files? Do i have to delete all the original alx files before pasting your custom ones to the related folder? I'm just asking it because last time I just pasted your custom alx files without removing first all the original ones, and so I was prompted to replace them and clicked yes.

I've been using your alx files for over two weeks now and I haven't encountered any problem with them (yes, it works perfectly!). But my sytem software still hits 97mb (unlike 93mb of yours), a little improvement from my previous 99mb without using the custom alxs. Maybe I'd done wrong after I forgot to remove first the original alxs.

Thanks for the hybrid wu!
    05-25-12 06:46 PM
    abalone?? no more diet.... wkwkwk...
    just finished aadvark yesterday...
    aadvark quite responsive... haiyaa... no choice... dishes alredy cooked...
    thankyou chef wu....

---add--
    supposed shud edit yr heading, since it also suitfor 9650... been eating since 'ulrich'...
    just suggestion... roger n out...
    Last edited by egambobro; 05-25-12 at 08:21 PM.
    05-25-12 08:17 PM
    Oh god.

I'm gonna spend another day in front of my laptop adding this hybrid OS. (In a good way of course)

This is so sinful and addictive. Frittering my life away adding hybrid OS and recovering my apps.

Thanks for the new hybrid OS

On the side note, I decided to try using .723 (with Asian language support, from SK Telcom), not the base OS (multilanguage) you mentioned in the start of the thread, would it affect the OS much? I sound like I'm being paranoid but I'm not sure if theres any subtle difference between similar OS with different language support.
    Last edited by tang63; 05-26-12 at 05:05 AM.
    05-26-12 04:29 AM

It just occurred to me, it might have something to do with the fact I use a legacy ribbon_app file (6.0.0.461) so as to avoid the home screen preferences bug. But I'm not positive.
    I also faced a similar issue. But not sure if it will affect anything. Just informing.

On a positive note, I also noticed an increase in memory using meterberry. About 2% increase to 41%?
    Last edited by tang63; 05-26-12 at 06:27 AM.
    05-26-12 04:50 AM

Yeah , but i dont think the 461 ribbon causing this cause i already try and swap it with other version , still the same tho . Not sure what is actually causing this
    05-26-12 07:15 AM
    I also faced a similar issue. But not sure if it will affect anything. Just informing.

On a positive note, I also noticed an increase in memory using meterberry. About 2% increase to 41%?
    Dont think it will be affecting anything , but you know , as for me and rizz0r here we just curious and feel-not-the-same with the bb symbol adjacent to the 3G logo like that
    05-26-12 07:19 AM
    Dont think it will be affecting anything , but you know , as for me and rizz0r here we just curious and feel-not-the-same with the bb symbol adjacent to the 3G logo like that
    haha. i feel you mate. just try not to ..... look there....

lolol.
    05-26-12 07:33 AM

lolol.
    Im trying to , but .. i cant ! lol
    05-26-12 08:09 AM
    Hey wu, remember the alx files? Do i have to delete all the original alx files before pasting your custom ones to the related folder? I'm just asking it because last time I just pasted your custom alx files without removing first all the original ones, and so I was prompted to replace them and clicked yes.

I've been using your alx files for over two weeks now and I haven't encountered any problem with them (yes, it works perfectly!). But my sytem software still hits 97mb (unlike 93mb of yours), a little improvement from my previous 99mb without using the custom alxs. Maybe I'd done wrong after I forgot to remove first the original alxs.

Thanks for the hybrid wu!
    You don't have to delete the stock ALX files as they will be overwritten, but I tend to keep stock files backed up and handy in case something goes wrong. I've been using my modified ALX files for quite a long time now and I'm pretty confident about what's in there - for me, anyway.

My java folder contains 348 cod files (I shrink very aggressively). If you're leaving other apps in there (like VVM or VAD, etc) then system software will report a higher value in the options menu.
    lester78 likes this.
    05-26-12 02:09 PM
    abalone?? no more diet.... wkwkwk...
    just finished aadvark yesterday...
    aadvark quite responsive... haiyaa... no choice... dishes alredy cooked...
    thankyou chef wu....

---add--
    supposed shud edit yr heading, since it also suitfor 9650... been eating since 'ulrich'...
    just suggestion... roger n out...
    I had included 9650 as a positively reported device, but I just added the recommended base OS of 6.0.0.707 too.

Thank you so much for the feedback!
    05-26-12 02:11 PM

Click to view quoted image

Yeah , but i dont think the 461 ribbon causing this cause i already try and swap it with other version , still the same tho . Not sure what is actually causing this

lolol.
    Im trying to , but .. i cant ! lol
    I will continue my quest to figure out what is causing this issue. I honestly hadn't noticed it, and I am a bit puzzled by what could be making this happen.
    tang63 likes this.
    05-26-12 02:13 PM
    Oh god.

I'm gonna spend another day in front of my laptop adding this hybrid OS. (In a good way of course)

This is so sinful and addictive. Frittering my life away adding hybrid OS and recovering my apps.

Thanks for the new hybrid OS

On the side note, I decided to try using .723 (with Asian language support, from SK Telcom), not the base OS (multilanguage) you mentioned in the start of the thread, would it affect the OS much? I sound like I'm being paranoid but I'm not sure if theres any subtle difference between similar OS with different language support.
    The AllLang SFI files are about 4 - 5 MB larger than the MultiLang SFI files, so you won't see quite the same free memory. Overall it will work just fine. I prefer MultiLang SFIs because I only use US English and want as much free memory as I can get.
    tang63 likes this.
    05-26-12 02:16 PM
    Now that was fast
    wu-wei likes this.
    05-26-12 07:15 PM
    So far battery problem is completely gone, And everything is running great here. Thank you very much for all you're hard work!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    wu-wei likes this.
    05-26-12 07:16 PM
    Now that was fast
    Indeed, it was. I tried out a new analysis/comparison technique in my build process and, even with some extensive troubleshooting, was able to generate this build quite quickly.
    05-26-12 08:05 PM
    So far battery problem is completely gone, And everything is running great here. Thank you very much for all you're hard work!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Very glad to hear this kind of feedback - thank you!
    05-26-12 08:06 PM
    i cant install it gives me a net.rim.platform.ecmascript
    05-26-12 09:34 PM
    Good news to report folks,

Battery life is amazingly good. Now I can safely go back to using 3G! For me its about 1.5% to 3% per hour.

Before all these hybrids, my battery life was really bad had to use 2G mode ALL the time.

Kudos and my deepest thanks to Wu Wei Saved me from having to buy a new battery.
    wu-wei likes this.
    05-26-12 10:43 PM
111 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD