09-19-12 08:24 AM
37 12
tools
    B@stard Hybrid: Aardvark (20120522)

Created by wu-wei (theme developer ordinaire and former BDHP member/beta-tester)

This release is basically just an update of all the files that were 7.1.0.402 in ZigZag - they have been updated to 7.1.0.428. I also made a few other changes based on feedback in several of my threads.

Aardvark uses the same basic architecture as Pierre. I am recommending the multi-language 6.0.0.723 base for 9700. I have been very happy with the performance of the 723 files, though I have also had excellent results running my builds over 6.0.0.668.

My hybrids go through testing on the Bold 9700 platform. I have received reports that my builds work well on 9300, 9780 and 9800 devices, too.

Recommended base OS versions:

9300: 6.0.0.668
    9700: 6.0.0.723
    9780: 6.0.0.723
    9800: 6.0.0.723

I will note that several users have reported a "break-in" period with my hybrids. That is, the first day or so has poor battery life, but then things stabilize and we start sipping at the battery again. Battery life is critically important to me, so I am always mindful of those issues (and reluctant to leave my beloved 9700 for some shiny new OS7 device). I have not experienced this phenomenon myself, but I did want to mention that it is possible.

I have not personally tested this hybrid on any other devices, or on any other OS versions as a base install; however it should work on other devices without issue.

I will not be providing any support for this hybrid. I have not encountered any bugs with this build, but I have not run it through extensive testing either.

To install this hybrid, extract the contents of this zip file into the Java folder of the base OS you choose to use. On my system, these files were extracted into C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9700M_v6.0.0.723_P6.6.0.248\Java.

When you extract the cod files into the folder listed above, you should be prompted to confirm that you want to replace existing files. If you are not prompted, then you are probably trying to extract to the wrong directory and the hybrid files will not be installed on your device.

If you do not know exactly what you're doing, then you should choose one of the following options:

1. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL THIS HYBRID.
    2. Read my guide on the CrackBerry forums, available here: Hybrid OS Installation Guide
    3. Read any How To posts by elite1 in practically any hybrid or leaked OS thread on CrackBerry.com
    4. Search the CrackBerry forums and read as much as you can find about how the BlackBerry OS loader process works.

Again, I will not provide any support for the installation or operation of this hybrid. It is intended for experienced users.

This package does NOT include any third party applications at all. I build hybrid OSes. I do not promote any apps or force users to choose whether they want to install apps they may or may not want. If you are looking for a particular third party app, I probably have an opinion about it and may be able to tell you where to find it (I'm talking free or paid versions, NOT WAREZ).

Many thanks to ench18 for testing and feedback.

Download Aardvark
    05-23-12 02:30 AM
    B@stard aardvark. Sounds like a Monty Python sketch.
    05-23-12 02:31 AM
    Will install this tonight.

Thanks WU
    wu-wei likes this.
    05-23-12 06:07 AM
    As expected from wu. Nice job.
    wu-wei likes this.
    05-23-12 08:40 AM
    Any major changes on this release? Currently using Zigzag now and it seems fine to me. Just been using it for 2 days. I wanna stay updated. Will this release enhance my BB experience on my Bold 9780?
    05-23-12 10:43 AM
    Any major changes on this release? Currently using Zigzag now and it seems fine to me. Just been using it for 2 days. I wanna stay updated. Will this release enhance my BB experience on my Bold 9780?
    I don't think you'll notice any significant difference here, but check back as others report their experiences. If you just installed ZigZag a few days ago, you should be running smoothly. If you notice any problems (or if you decide later to upgrade), you'll have this as an option.
    emwhy likes this.
    05-23-12 11:05 AM
    I just installed ZigZag over the weekend, and am thrilled with it! My BB9700 is like better than new! Before I installed ZigZag, I thought I needed a new battery, it was dying so fast, but now it lasts me all day with no problems.

If I do decide to upgrade to the latest and greatest, do I need to wipe anything off my BB first, or can I load Aardvark on top of ZigZag?
    wu-wei likes this.
    05-23-12 11:16 AM
    Thank you for the quick response. I just want my B@stard Hybrid as updated as possible so I think I'm gonna give this a shot. I just need some help. I'm fairly new to Blackberry. I owned an Android device previously and somehow you can call me a "Flash" a-holic because I want to try different kinda ROMS for my HTC Desire. That's what I'm doing now with my Bold 9780. I just need help with back-up and restore. I already installed all my apps on the zigzag release. how can i back them up and restore on the Aardvark release without any issues. I don't want to lose anything especially the updated apps that I have. Thanks in advance and more power to you Sir Wu.
    wu-wei likes this.
    05-23-12 11:25 AM
    Wu , how do i shrink without making my bb have those squares symbol ? What do i have to untick yea ? I mean the CJK , i want it to read only . Its something 'emoji japanese korea' font right ?
    05-23-12 12:24 PM
    I just installed ZigZag over the weekend, and am thrilled with it! My BB9700 is like better than new! Before I installed ZigZag, I thought I needed a new battery, it was dying so fast, but now it lasts me all day with no problems.

If I do decide to upgrade to the latest and greatest, do I need to wipe anything off my BB first, or can I load Aardvark on top of ZigZag?
    My recommendation, and my own practice, is to always start with a fresh installation (on the PC) of a base OS, and then apply my hybrid build to it before installing to the device. That way I'm sure that I've only applied the latest hybrid that includes any roll-backs or other changes from an earlier build.
    05-23-12 12:57 PM
    Just installed it right now and I'm on the process of loading all my files back. Will give feedback later.
    05-23-12 01:45 PM
    Testing ^^ Thanks for the new version
    wu-wei likes this.
    05-23-12 02:07 PM
    Thank you for the quick response. I just want my B@stard Hybrid as updated as possible so I think I'm gonna give this a shot. I just need some help. I'm fairly new to Blackberry. I owned an Android device previously and somehow you can call me a "Flash" a-holic because I want to try different kinda ROMS for my HTC Desire. That's what I'm doing now with my Bold 9780. I just need help with back-up and restore. I already installed all my apps on the zigzag release. how can i back them up and restore on the Aardvark release without any issues. I don't want to lose anything especially the updated apps that I have. Thanks in advance and more power to you Sir Wu.
    Ah, ok...so you're like me (and the rest of the hybrid addicts around here LOL).

Well, I had drafted a really long response explaining what I do with third party apps....but I decided to make it its own thread instead. Here it is.
    emwhy likes this.
    05-23-12 02:12 PM
    Ah, ok...so you're like me (and the rest of the hybrid addicts around here LOL).

Well, I had drafted a really long response explaining what I do with third party apps....but I decided to make it its own thread instead. Here it is.
    Thanx for the guide. Easy to understand and very straight forward. So far so good. The latest release running smooth. I will give it 2 days for the OS to settle down and run a full stress test on it.. So happy :3
    wu-wei likes this.
    05-23-12 03:35 PM
    My recommendation, and my own practice, is to always start with a fresh installation (on the PC) of a base OS, and then apply my hybrid build to it before installing to the device. That way I'm sure that I've only applied the latest hybrid that includes any roll-backs or other changes from an earlier build.
    Thanks - I will be sure to do that. What I meant though, was do I need to wipe anything from my blackberry before installing the hybrid?
    05-23-12 04:20 PM
    Thanks - I will be sure to do that. What I meant though, was do I need to wipe anything from my blackberry before installing the hybrid?
    Nope - the loader process will do all the necessary software wipes during installation, and then restore all the backups too.
    05-23-12 06:09 PM
    Just started downloading and installing this sweet hybrid OS.

Kinda excited! Will give feedback in a bit

Thanks sharing!
    Last edited by tang63; 05-24-12 at 06:52 AM.
    05-24-12 06:25 AM
    Installed over 723 last night all good so far will post results in a day or 2, Thank you!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    wu-wei likes this.
    05-24-12 08:09 AM
    master chef is cookin again..
    run well over 707 esex.. see you on the next kitchen..
    wu-wei likes this.
    05-24-12 10:04 PM
    I managed to install the OS last night, so far no bugs and issues.

The battery life is not stabilised yet though. On 3G mode, and its draining very fast. Partly maybe because of my faulty battery (I often rely on 2G mode to save on battery, hardly go on to 3G)

On the brighter side, my BB works so much faster now. I can feel the speed. Much Better memory (ram) that my old base .723 OS.

Thank you so much for sharing this awesome OS with us and continually providing support for OS6 devices!
    wu-wei likes this.
    05-25-12 12:34 AM
    I managed to install the OS last night, so far no bugs and issues.

The battery life is not stabilised yet though. On 3G mode, and its draining very fast. Partly maybe because of my faulty battery (I often rely on 2G mode to save on battery, hardly go on to 3G)

On the brighter side, my BB works so much faster now. I can feel the speed. Much Better memory (ram) that my old base .723 OS.

Thank you so much for sharing this awesome OS with us and continually providing support for OS6 devices!
    It takes a while for any new OS - stock or hybrid - to settle in. There are a lot of background processes that are busy indexing, etc. and I do believe that is the source of the big battery hits after install.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the experience of the new build. I'll keep building for OS6 as long as I keep getting new resources.
    05-25-12 12:42 AM
    And when I just want to sit back and enjoy, another release is knocking. Dem.
    05-25-12 06:21 AM
    update appworld 3.1.2.32. and then cant start with appwold. What problem ?
    05-25-12 06:39 AM
    update appworld 3.1.2.32. and then cant start with appwold. What problem ?
    Did u happen to restore any apps?

What did u do before you updated ur appworld?
    05-25-12 06:41 AM
    And when I just want to sit back and enjoy, another release is knocking. Dem.
    No kidding. Sheesh. I'll be whipping something up probably later today.
    tang63 likes this.
    05-25-12 10:21 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD