I got my Blackberry Tour a couple weeks ago and am thinking about upgrading to the newest 5.0 OS.

I don't know how to do it though, but I do have experience in jailbreaking ipod touches if that counts as anything.

Any links to a guide or something and to the 5.0 download?

And the 5.0 OS will work on my carrier, which is Alltel, right?
    01-05-10 06:57 PM
    Check out the blog post about 5.0.0.419 being released. There are links to the "How To" articles at the bottom.
    01-05-10 06:58 PM
    Is it really easy to upgrade to 5.0?

Will my applications work? The only one I payed for is BeBuzz though, so will BeBuzz work with 5.0?
    01-05-10 07:02 PM
    Is it really easy to upgrade to 5.0?

Will my applications work? The only one I payed for is BeBuzz though, so will BeBuzz work with 5.0?
    Its moderately easy to upgrade aslong as you follow the guides on there and somewhat tech savvy. . Almost all my apps work bugfree and better in the new os.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 08:06 PM
    Here's another great guide to updating your BB OS. This guy put a lot of time into this post (it references the BlackBerry Storm but the same steps will work for a Tour)

Here is my process for OS installs. Try it next time!
    01-05-10 08:14 PM
    Just one caution and it is not critical:

Do your own backup using Desktop Manager and/or sync your data with Outlook (or others). Most backup routines do backup data but just in case there is a "failure to communicate" you will have your own available.
    01-05-10 08:20 PM
    Here's another great guide to updating your BB OS. This guy put a lot of time into this post (it references the BlackBerry Storm but the same steps will work for a Tour)

Here is my process for OS installs. Try it next time!
    That guide was really intimidating... lol... Kind of made me worry I'd mess up my new Tour...
    01-05-10 08:23 PM
    And how do I tell if I have to delete the Vendor file? I'm using this guide: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os

Right now my Tour is on Alltel and I want it to still be on Alltel after.
    01-05-10 08:24 PM
    Have you ever upgraded your OS??? Its no different from any OS ever released. Just follow the guide for the Storm and you will have no issues. If you do whatever you may mess up has happened before and someone will be able to guide you how to fix it.
    01-05-10 08:28 PM
    I just got my Tour a couple weeks ago and this will be my first OS change.

And I shouldn't just use this guide? BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com

That looks like the simplest guide to me.
    01-05-10 08:29 PM
    There are quite a few ways to load a new OS, including with a program named BBSAK, or by using the guidelines on how to install a new OS in the forums. But if you are lucky, you can do it just using the Desktop Manager. It is fairly simple. Download the new OS to your computer. Make sure your Desktop Manager is closed at the time. Then open up your desktop manager. If you're lucky, it will recognize the new OS, and ask if you would like to upgrade. Check yes, and you'll be well on your way.

I wouldn't sweat it; you can't harm your Tour. Those of us who have become veterans at this routinely wipe all the information on the Tour and are still able to reload the OS with no trouble. In short, you can't do any wrong. Trial and error is the name of the game. Also, for the record, I have never had to delete my vendor file, and I've loaded three leaked OS on my Tour so far. Some people insist that you do, but I've never needed to.

Be sure to back up your data files using Desktop Manager. Otherwise, you will lose them during the upgrade. You can also back up third-party apps, but it is more complicated, and I wouldn't worry about that at this stage. It only takes a few clicks to redownload the apps in any case.
    01-05-10 08:42 PM
    I would honestly use the Storm how to upgrade guide. Much more thorough. Remember though that guide has lots of different things to do. Just focus on the upgrade os. Really really simple. Just make sure you read it well and know where things are before you jump in and you wont have any issue.
    01-05-10 08:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD