A BBOS BlackBerry phone can be used either with or without BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service, commonly called BlackBerry Data Plan).

1) BIS is still easily available in some countries. According to reports posted through the summer on CrackBerry Forums, in Canada all four major carriers (Bell, Freedom Mobile, Rogers, Telus) will add BIS to your plan free of charge, but the discount carriers (Fido, etc) will not activate BIS any more.

2) If BIS is not available the phone will still run ok. BIS is primarily required to get the native BlackBerry email service and also a few other apps. However, it is possible to get emails using LogicMail app, which doesn't depend on BIS. Apps like Opera Mini browser or The Weather Network don't depend on BIS either.

More information about using BBOS phone without BIS can be found on Shuswap's website here:

The Bold Explorer

3) If you have verified on the web that your phone's UMTS bands are compatible with the carrier's network and then the phone fails compatibility test based on IMEI (entered on the carrier's website or on sales agent's terminal) just ignore the test, put the sim card in and boot-up the phone. There is a reasonable chance that the carrier's test is flawed. More information about UMTS bands can be found in paragraph #1 and #2 in the first post here:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13457779

4) Data Plan and Data Compression

a) BIS has data compression so there is no need to pay extra for gigabytes of data. The compression ratio depends on the type of data and I have come across claims that in some cases it is ten fold compared to no-BIS connection (Direct TCP or WiFi). I have an old BIS plan with 500 MB limit and only use about 150 MB per month. This primarily includes emails and browsing static web pages with static adds (no streaming videos, no FM radio, etc.).

If you plan to regularly connect an Android phone, iPhone, or a laptop to the BlackBerry through mobile hotspot then some higher data limit would be needed.

b) even without BIS, data compression is available with Opera Mini web browser, the most popular browser among users of BBOS devices. It provides its own data compression and always runs on Direct TCP connection, ignoring BIS even if it is enabled.

-----
    PS: The most active section of CB Forums related to BBOS is Bold 9930/9900 subforum:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...930-9900-f235/
    Last edited by Lex24; 11-02-19 at 04:31 AM.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    10-27-19 06:12 AM
    A BBOS BlackBerry phone can be used either with or without BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service, commonly called BlackBerry Data Plan).

1) BIS is still easily available in some countries. According to reports posted through the summer on CrackBerry Forums, in Canada all four major carriers (Bell, Freedom Mobile, Rogers, Telus) will add BIS to your plan free of charge, but the discount carriers (Fido, etc) will not activate BIS any more.

2) If BIS is not available the phone will still run ok. BIS is primarily required to get the native BlackBerry email service and also a few other apps. However, it is possible to get emails using LogicMail app, which doesn't depend on BIS. Apps like Opera Mini browser or The Weather Network don't depend on BIS either.

More information about using BBOS phone without BIS can be found on Shuswap's website here:

The Bold Explorer

3) If you have verified on the web that your phone's UMTS bands are compatible with the carrier's network and then the phone fails compatibility test based on IMEI (entered on the carrier's website or on sales agent's terminal) just ignore the test, put the sim card in and boot-up the phone. There is a reasonable chance that the carrier's test is flawed. More information about UMTS bands can be found in paragraph #1 and #2 in the first post here:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13457779

4) Data Plan with BIS

BIS has data compression so there is no need to pay extra for gigabytes of data. The compression ratio depends on the type of data and I have come across claims that in some cases it is ten fold compared to no-BIS connection (Direct TCP or WiFi). I have an old BIS plan with 500 MB limit and only use about 150 MB per month. This only includes emails and browsing static web pages with static adds (no streaming videos, no FM radio, etc.).

If you plan to regularly connect an Android phone or an iPhone to the BlackBerry through mobile hotspot then some higher data limit is needed.

-----
    PS: The most active section of CB Forums related to BBOS is Bold 9930/9900 subforum:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...930-9900-f235/
    Currently active or active in the past? I always taught the most active section every was the STORM....
    10-28-19 01:48 PM
    Storm 1, curve 8300, bold 9000, tour, 9900 is the order. 9900 right now is obviously more active though.
    10-28-19 02:20 PM
    Storm 1, curve 8300, bold 9000, tour, 9900 is the order. 9900 right now is obviously more active though.
    Ah the Storm aka the original iPhone killer.
    10-28-19 03:57 PM
    Currently active or active in the past? I always taught the most active section ever was the STORM....
    The most active BBOS subforum currently, as of 2019, seems to be the one for Bold 9930/9900. It can be a bit frustrating at times. I'm trying to follow CBF guidelines and post in proper subforums, just to find out later that fellow members who still use any BBOS device simply like to post all the questions in a single 350 page thread, on Bold 9930/9900 subforum.
    10-29-19 02:56 AM
    The most active BBOS subforum currently, as of 2019, seems to be the one for Bold 9930/9900. It can be a bit frustrating at times. I'm trying to follow CBF guidelines and post in proper subforums, just to find out later that fellow members who still use any BBOS device simply like to post all the questions in a single 350 page thread, on Bold 9930/9900 subforum.
    The best reason at this point to use said thread, is that most every BBOS current user/supporter is posting in said thread.
    10-29-19 06:01 AM
    The best reason at this point to use said thread, is that most every BBOS current user/supporter is posting in said thread.
    Very true, but @Lex24 is also correct. We've buried a lot of good information in that thread.
    10-29-19 08:30 PM

BIS has data compression so there is no need to pay extra for gigabytes of data.
    To add to this, Opera Mini provides data compression even without BIS. I have never run out my 250MB/mo. plan. Of course, I'm not downloading podcasts or watching YouTube over cellular data either.
    10-29-19 08:33 PM
    Very true, but @Lex24 is also correct. We've buried a lot of good information in that thread.
    Google Search can usually find it....

In a way the BBOS section could do with a reboot... really shouldn't have to direct folks to another site.
    10-30-19 07:08 AM
    In a way the BBOS section could do with a reboot... really shouldn't have to direct folks to another site.
    Until they fix the long post problem (the spam filter rejects posts with too many links), the kind of information posted on the site is too difficult to post here.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-30-19 10:02 AM
    At this point, my intuition says it’s best to keep right here and to keep asking BBOS questions. The people that are still using will find many old solutions broken in certain instances. Solutions for 9900 should apply for other BBOS hardware etc. At this late point in the lifecycle, most of the BBOS experienced come to specific threads like this one for camaraderie. It’s where I come for answers to help others or to find you all to ask for help for others.
    10-30-19 11:51 AM
    To add to this, Opera Mini provides data compression even without BIS. I have never run out my 250MB/mo. plan. Of course, I'm not downloading podcasts or watching YouTube over cellular data either.
    Thanks, I forgot about it. I have edited my original post and added this information.
    11-02-19 04:40 AM