i have a 8330 curve and i'm on verizon.
    i upgraded to 5.0 tonight and the browser was slow, so i thought i'd load the COD's. once i did this, my blackberry gave me errors. these errors are:

uncaught exception: java.lang.nullpointer exception
    uncaught exception: java.lang.error
    uncaught exception: application registry. wait for (0x7a47873b7e8b4e0)
    and uncaught exception: no application instance

then, after saying "ok" to all of those, it takes me to the blackberry platform 3.5.0.44 screen and i can't go anywhere else.
    i've tried taking out the battery and that doesn't work.

please help.
    02-25-10 08:26 PM
    i have a 8330 curve and i'm on verizon.
    i upgraded to 5.0 tonight and the browser was slow, so i thought i'd load the COD's. once i did this, my blackberry gave me errors. these errors are:

uncaught exception: java.lang.nullpointer exception
    uncaught exception: java.lang.error
    uncaught exception: application registry. wait for (0x7a47873b7e8b4e0)
    and uncaught exception: no application instance

then, after saying "ok" to all of those, it takes me to the blackberry platform 3.5.0.44 screen and i can't go anywhere else.
    i've tried taking out the battery and that doesn't work.

please help.
    As stated in my first post, these patches have only been tested for the 9630. From your post, it appears they are not compatible with the 8330.

First off let me say that after you install a new OS, there is a "breaking in" period that is expected. Since you just installed 5.0, give it a few days to settle before you judge the browser speed.

With that said, if you are still unhappy with your browser speed after your OS has settled, you have the option of installing a full hybrid. Feel free to do your own research, but from what I understand Nathanix makes pretty soild hybrids for the 8330. Here's a link: http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/nat...v4-5-a-426657/. Installing a full hybrid should not only give you increased browser speed, but increased OS speed among other things.

Now, if you do not want to install a full hybrid but still just want a patch, I may be able to help you build your own. Feel free to PM me as 8330 patches are a little off topic for this thread.
    02-25-10 09:42 PM
    I would like to confirm the V2 browser patch makes browsing sites even snappier!

Thanks again ragnarokx!

I am running ISO 8859-3 with Auto Mode checked.
    02-27-10 09:56 PM
    Now, is there a way to bring back the 3G icon with the 530 OS?
    02-28-10 10:36 PM
    I would like to confirm the V2 browser patch makes browsing sites even snappier!

Thanks again ragnarokx!

I am running ISO 8859-3 with Auto Mode checked.
    Glad you like it

Now, is there a way to bring back the 3G icon with the 530 OS?
    Not as of yet - but the needed file may be in the next 9700 leak, so stay tuned.
    02-28-10 11:16 PM
    I just wish Beyond160 would work with 5.0. I'm not a fan of similar programs.
    02-28-10 11:20 PM
    First beyond 160 works on my 5.0.
    Second, I'll keep my eye out for the 3G... FYI don't try the one posted for the 480 On the 530, I did and I had to re install OS

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-10 11:48 PM
    Then you'd be the first person for whom it has worked for 5.0, because its creators have said it's not compatible with 5.0 and that they're working on trying to get a version out there for 5.0 and higher.

How are you getting it to work when it's not compatible with 5.0?
    02-28-10 11:52 PM
    I didn't even know... I just click on the icon and it comes up, select recipients type message and send... It doesn't work within the text app though...

03-01-10 12:19 AM
    You are aware, aren't you, that when you do that, your text doesn't get delivered? That's because Beyond160 doesn't actually work in 5.0. I had thought that the way you mentioned was the way to get it to work until I read here that that method looks OK but doesn't actually work.
    03-01-10 12:26 AM
    Lol I never even checked that ha ha, wonder if I have a bunch o people mad at me wondering why I never sent a text... Honestly though I haven't had much need for it since threated text makes life easier when sending long texts... Just hit enter and keep typing.
    Thanks for the heads up though
    Let's put the topic to rest as to not high jack further this thread.

03-01-10 12:49 AM
    I was hoping the "browser fix" was more for people like me without BIS but trying to use OS 5. The hacked service books for browser and mms (for plain old data use and not BIS) worked great with 4.7, but now with 5.0.0.484 every reset/battery pull blows out my browser config.

5 is really nice with it's quicker reboots and threaded texting, but unless someone knows of a way around this disappearing browser I guess I'm headed back to 4.7.

Does anyone know if the previous (not sprint) verisons of OS 5 have the same type of set-up with re-downloading your books on every reset?
    03-01-10 03:46 AM
    Yea, beyond160 just doesn't work with 5.0...even if you think it does...
    03-01-10 08:25 AM
    I was hoping the "browser fix" was more for people like me without BIS but trying to use OS 5. The hacked service books for browser and mms (for plain old data use and not BIS) worked great with 4.7, but now with 5.0.0.484 every reset/battery pull blows out my browser config.

5 is really nice with it's quicker reboots and threaded texting, but unless someone knows of a way around this disappearing browser I guess I'm headed back to 4.7.

Does anyone know if the previous (not sprint) verisons of OS 5 have the same type of set-up with re-downloading your books on every reset?
    The service books being resent at every reboot is a new "feature" that RIM added to the Tour OS starting with 5.0.0.419 - if you've noticed, there is a new e-mail waiting for you after each reboot to confirm they have been resent, therefore registering your device.

If you go to the first post in this thread and install the "stop getting the "Registration" e-mail on reboot for Sprint users" patch, this will stop your BB from re-sending service books after each reboot. Hope that helps.
    03-01-10 12:14 PM
    The service books being resent at every reboot is a new "feature" that RIM added to the Tour OS starting with 5.0.0.419 - if you've noticed, there is a new e-mail waiting for you after each reboot to confirm they have been resent, therefore registering your device.

If you go to the first post in this thread and install the "stop getting the "Registration" e-mail on reboot for Sprint users" patch, this will stop your BB from re-sending service books after each reboot. Hope that helps.
    Unfortunately, swapping that one file did not do the trick. I assume I only needed to do the file swap and not the performance fixes as well. I loaded the cod with bbsak, the phone rebooted, and right after reboot the browser dissappeared again. It doesn't seem to get as many BBY "registration" messages as before.

In fact, it used to blow out the browser config right after I loaded the books and it registered, now at least it's only after a restart. But still quite annoying.

So are you saying that the previous versions of OS 5 didn't have that pesky little resending of the books involved? Glad I waited for the official sprint release, jeez. That might be might next step then, tracking down the most stable, but previous, release of 5 and downgrading.
    03-01-10 08:17 PM
    Unfortunately, swapping that one file did not do the trick. I assume I only needed to do the file swap and not the performance fixes as well. I loaded the cod with bbsak, the phone rebooted, and right after reboot the browser dissappeared again. It doesn't seem to get as many BBY "registration" messages as before.

In fact, it used to blow out the browser config right after I loaded the books and it registered, now at least it's only after a restart. But still quite annoying.

So are you saying that the previous versions of OS 5 didn't have that pesky little resending of the books involved? Glad I waited for the official sprint release, jeez. That might be might next step then, tracking down the most stable, but previous, release of 5 and downgrading.
    Hmm.. Perhaps it's different on GSM. I've only tested it on CDMA.

The leak before .419 was .303, but I would not recommend it has it has charging problem and stability issues. If you want to downgrade from .419 your best choice would be .230. There are some great hybrids out for it too, which would help bridge the performance gap between recent 5.0 builds.
    03-01-10 08:36 PM
    Hmm.. Perhaps it's different on GSM. I've only tested it on CDMA.

The leak before .419 was .303, but I would not recommend it has it has charging problem and stability issues. If you want to downgrade from .419 your best choice would be .230. There are some great hybrids out for it too, which would help bridge the performance gap between recent 5.0 builds.
    I'm on CDMA with sprint. Yeah, it's odd, when I restart I don't get the registration message anymore. But sure enough as soon as it connects and goes 1XEV, the browser icon that was happily in my bottom dock, just disappears. I can reload my books again, and they stay until I reboot, but it's just super annoying.

I was looking at Driphter's hybrid, but I'm not sure that is going to solve my problem. Where do I find more info on what hybrid options are out there? I guess I was hoping there was something else I could do to modify this existing OS to work for me.

Were there any known issues with .230?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.
    03-01-10 11:31 PM
    I'm on CDMA with sprint. Yeah, it's odd, when I restart I don't get the registration message anymore. But sure enough as soon as it connects and goes 1XEV, the browser icon that was happily in my bottom dock, just disappears. I can reload my books again, and they stay until I reboot, but it's just super annoying.

I was looking at Driphter's hybrid, but I'm not sure that is going to solve my problem. Where do I find more info on what hybrid options are out there? I guess I was hoping there was something else I could do to modify this existing OS to work for me.

Were there any known issues with .230?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.
    My bad - when I saw "hacked service books" in your previous post I assumed you were on T-Mobile or AT&T. Looks like you have a special situation - you will need to find an OS that plays nice with your special service books.

As far as hybrids, you have a couple options. The latest Tour hybrids can be found here and here.

5.0.0.230 had its share of issues, but they were minor. It's a very solid OS. I would suggest starting out with the .419/.484 hybrids (they are interchangeable), and if those don't work make your way down to .230 based hybrids, then .190, and even .140 if you have to. Good luck.
    03-01-10 11:43 PM
    Re-subscribing....
    03-02-10 03:33 PM
    I am getting the following error when I try to go online:

Cannot visit web page when radio is turned off. Please turn the radio on and try again.

I have made calls, received texts and Berryweather is working. So what gives?

Alright, scratch that, it's now working. Weird.
    Note that I switched the encoding while the browser was attempting to load, and maybe that is what made the difference.

Thank you for the patches and fixes!
    Last edited by paramedic233; 03-02-10 at 04:20 PM.
    03-02-10 04:14 PM
    My bad - when I saw "hacked service books" in your previous post I assumed you were on T-Mobile or AT&T. Looks like you have a special situation - you will need to find an OS that plays nice with your special service books.

As far as hybrids, you have a couple options. The latest Tour hybrids can be found here and here.

5.0.0.230 had its share of issues, but they were minor. It's a very solid OS. I would suggest starting out with the .419/.484 hybrids (they are interchangeable), and if those don't work make your way down to .230 based hybrids, then .190, and even .140 if you have to. Good luck.
    Wow, Ragnarokx. I can't thank you enough for your insight. You were absolutely right, 484 was causing my service book blowout issue. I stepped back to 419, then 230 to resolve it. Then I installed the hybrid 50v7.15, and 15 reboots later, I'm free and clear. Everything works the way it supposed to (minus a couple random sms issues that came with 230) and I've got enough of the OS 5 upgrades to make it worth while leaving 4.7. Thanks again.

If any sero folks end up at the same conclusion I did, this was absolutely the best option.
    03-03-10 03:51 AM
    Wow, Ragnarokx. I can't thank you enough for your insight. You were absolutely right, 484 was causing my service book blowout issue. I stepped back to 419, then 230 to resolve it. Then I installed the hybrid 50v7.15, and 15 reboots later, I'm free and clear. Everything works the way it supposed to (minus a couple random sms issues that came with 230) and I've got enough of the OS 5 upgrades to make it worth while leaving 4.7. Thanks again.

If any sero folks end up at the same conclusion I did, this was absolutely the best option.
    I'm glad it worked out for you! I hope any non-BIS Tour users find this helpful as well.
    03-03-10 05:39 PM
    ragnarokx,

First: I, too, encountered the problems uploading all of the COD's for the Sprint fix and browser fix at once. I'm using BBSAK 1.7 and a slimmed down version of Vista.

Second: I changed out the COD to get rid of the registration email after reboot and now am left dead without a signal and browser for a good few minutes after reboot.

I haven't tried a battery pull, but I know when BBSAK rebooted my BB the radio was off. I turned it on, and the radio went to 1xev for a second and then to 1XEV. I checked for the browser and it was gone, then it came back.

... No registration email, though.

And I think the browser is faster...

EDIT - Attempting battery pull to see if I can duplicate the problem.

EDIT 2 - Radio is ON after battery pull, but browser takes a minute to come back, though it DOES come back.

It works, so I'm not left without internet.
    Last edited by ImageDynamix; 03-03-10 at 07:11 PM.
    03-03-10 07:05 PM
    ragnarokx,

First: I, too, encountered the problems uploading all of the COD's for the Sprint fix and browser fix at once. I'm using BBSAK 1.7 and a slimmed down version of Vista.

Second: I changed out the COD to get rid of the registration email after reboot and now am left dead without a signal and browser for a good few minutes after reboot.

I haven't tried a battery pull, but I know when BBSAK rebooted my BB the radio was off. I turned it on, and the radio went to 1xev for a second and then to 1XEV. I checked for the browser and it was gone, then it came back.

... No registration email, though.

And I think the browser is faster...

EDIT - Attempting battery pull to see if I can duplicate the problem.

EDIT 2 - Radio is ON after battery pull, but browser takes a minute to come back, though it DOES come back.

It works, so I'm not left without internet.
    I've heard other people that are using various full hybrids mention the browser not appearing instantly upon reboot. I never noticed this myself as I have the browser icon hidden and have never had a problem using the internet very shortly after a battery pull. Thanks for the info though.
    03-03-10 08:29 PM
    yea, i randomly lost all my service books....not sure if its related to this though
    03-04-10 03:09 PM
158 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD