Ok, so what does it come down to when deciding to use the new official 4.7 or using the leaked 5.0 and whatever hybrids. I can't complain with my current setup (.303 w/ 7.14 & .191 radio) but why are some people sticking with the official .61?

Is the official release perfectly stable? Does it have the best radio? Besides threaded sms, what are some things that 5.0 has over 4.7? Speed, functionality, battery life, etc?

I wanted a sort of definitive, pro/cons of each, seeing as how the minute I got my 9630 home, I loaded up 5.0. I didn't really give 4.7 a try, and now I'm wondering if I should have?
    Last edited by griffin.ge; 12-22-09 at 09:58 PM. Reason: battery life differences?
    12-22-09 09:57 PM
    i've never used a leaked os yet, and i've been on the official .61 since it came out.

i haven't had one crash or freeze with any official apps. (for example: i've heard a lot of poeple are having problems with the newer bbm versions, i've had no problems at all)

i personally cant complain, my signal is fine, it doesn't bounce or anything ( i have the sim card out and have it set to 1XEV. i'm also in rural connecticut)

i get about two days from my battery with average use (i turn my phone off at night)

overall i'm really happy with my phone, using official releases has let me avoid crashes or any other software problems. and i hardly ever see the "clock" either, so i would say mine is running well

like i said, never used a beta so i cant comment on that, and i don't really know what is best, because i think that depends on each individual and where they use their phone and what they use it for

hope that helps a little
    12-22-09 10:23 PM
    Honestly, after going to 5.0, I don't think i can go back to 4.7 I've been recently having some issues with my .230 w/ v14 hybrid, just glitches mostly but nothing major. i'm thinking about trying the 303 w/ 191 radio and v14 to see how i like it.

the newest 4.7 is solid, but it's not nearly as snappy as 5.0. Even though i have been having some minor headaches with my 5.0 hybrid, i still couldn't go back to 4.7 and deal with the slower performance and non threaded sms. Once you get used to things opening up quickly, and sms messages being so much more convenient, you get hooked on it.
    12-23-09 02:00 AM
    no os you come upon is going to be perfectly stable. my signal bounce with 4.7 was horrible. upgraded to 5.0 and i love it. still some signal bounce but nowhere near as bad. battery life is better for me on 5.0, however the way you use your tour has a lot to do with that. threaded sms was my main reason to upgrade, and that alone was all it took to keep me from going back to 4.7. i would have to say 5.0 is my os of choice.
    12-23-09 02:13 AM
    I've tried just about every beta OS out there for my Tour and I keep coming back to running 4.7.1.53 as my preferred OS. Very stable and have no app compatibility issues of 5.0. If I didn't have those app issues, I would probably run 5.0.0.230. 4.7.1.53 has good battery life and a strong radio. Very few lags.
    12-23-09 11:06 AM
    Alright, thanks guys. From what it seems, some of the improvements with 5.0 are increased speed/performance, threaded sms (duh), perhaps better battery life and radio. I just wasn't aware if 4.7 was as quick as 5.0 due to its official release or anything.

With the exception of kjjb0204, this makes me more certain of my choice to stay on 5.0.

And mjesenovec, I really like the .303 configuration, but a lot of people had trouble even installing it. I never had any problems, and IMO its better than .230; boots faster, runs much faster, the .191 radio is great! The only glitch I found is that I don't get a charging bolt on the battery meter when plugged in, though it does go to clock screen.
    12-23-09 12:26 PM
    Alright, thanks guys. From what it seems, some of the improvements with 5.0 are increased speed/performance, threaded sms (duh), perhaps better battery life and radio. I just wasn't aware if 4.7 was as quick as 5.0 due to its official release or anything.

With the exception of kjjb0204, this makes me more certain of my choice to stay on 5.0.

And mjesenovec, I really like the .303 configuration, but a lot of people had trouble even installing it. I never had any problems, and IMO its better than .230; boots faster, runs much faster, the .191 radio is great! The only glitch I found is that I don't get a charging bolt on the battery meter when plugged in, though it does go to clock screen.
    the charging bolt comes from the .191 radio. i stuck with .230 and i still have it.
    12-23-09 06:39 PM

i was going to give your 303 v14 w/ 191 a try today, but i couldn't find a working download for 303. i also couldn't find the thread for replacing the radio file. i kept searching but couldn't find it. i can install and do hybrids in my sleep, but i've never done a manual radio swap, so i would need to find instructions.
    12-23-09 08:19 PM
    12-23-09 08:37 PM
    12-24-09 12:25 AM
    i can't find an active download link for 303 or 191. any of the megaupload links say the file is no longer available.
    12-24-09 12:38 AM
    12-24-09 02:58 PM
    Remember though, that it's because I have three must-have apps that still don't run properly in 5.0. Otherwise, I would probably jump to .230 again in a heartbeat.
    12-24-09 03:12 PM
    Thanks! still having a **** of a time finding 303.
    12-24-09 03:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD