I just seen this article pop-up about reasons to stick with BB, which is nice to see with all the negative articles coming out, seemingly on a daily basis. This is what phones were made to do, and why we all love BB. Only thing that I would say I don't agree with would be the videochat. I would like to have videochat for the reason, if I am away from home, I can still see and interact with my family while away.

Mobile Manifesto: 9 Reasons Why I'm Sticking With BlackBerry | Complex.com
    04-11-11 02:47 PM
    Interesting but this is total crap:

6. BlackBerry reboots give you time to focus on other things

Every BlackBerry head knows that to have a fully functional device, reboots—whether by battery pull, or by keyboard shortcut—are a way of life. Users of other platforms see this as a hold-up, but this actually gives BlackBerry users an opportunity to use that waiting time elsewhere: hearing about your girl's day at work, catching up on some reading, or actually watching the TV show you were tweeting about.
    Last edited by andyahs; 04-11-11 at 03:24 PM.
    04-11-11 02:59 PM
    Yep, reads like someone who doesn't know anything about other platforms wrote it....

5. It's the best platform for e-mail
    The BlackBerry's extra applications aren't the best, but its e-mail capabilities are second-to-none. RIM has made messaging an art, and it starts at at the hardware. The BB keyboards are raised, generously spaced, and responsive, making them easier to type on than all other smartphone keyboards, hard or soft(sorry, BlackBerry Storm). And RIM's private servers ensure true push e-mail, helping BlackBerrys receive e-mails faster than any other device.
    Not correct by a long shot. ActiveSync email is instant just as IMAP is on several platforms. Not to mention BIS attached BBs to POP or OWA accounts have 15 minute poll intervals which cannot be changed. God I really wish these writers would know their **** more before opening their mouths. At least know enough to argue valid points instead of reaching for the half-truths.
    04-11-11 03:08 PM
    lmao, that article has to be written as a joke right? i mean anyone taking that seriously is a...well fill in the blanks lol
    04-11-11 03:13 PM
    God I really wish these writers would know their **** more before opening their mouths. At least know enough to argue valid points instead of reaching for the half-truths.
    THAT is the case for SOOOOO many writers both Pro Blackberry, or Anti Blackberry they know so very little and spout half truths all day long

I love my Blackberry and there currently isn't a device on the market that can compare to my torch for my needs, but it is far from being the best email machine it could be.

THE only thing I agree with is BBM, I live using BBM now and it saves me so much time communicating with various people that I used to have to call, and exchange pleasantries with.
    Apart from that the list is drivel
    04-11-11 04:31 PM
    Yep, reads like someone who doesn't know anything about other platforms wrote it....

Not correct by a long shot. ActiveSync email is instant just as IMAP is on several platforms. Not to mention BIS attached BBs to POP or OWA accounts have 15 minute poll intervals which cannot be changed. God I really wish these writers would know their **** more before opening their mouths. At least know enough to argue valid points instead of reaching for the half-truths.
    BES is a true PUSH service where as Activesync is not (it is a poll and push mechanism)

Exchange uses MAPI and sends a UDP notify packet to BES to alert it that there is a new message to be delivered. BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange utilizes the MAPI notification system, in which a MAPI Advise session is registered for BlackBerry smartphone users. When a new item arrives in a BlackBerry smartphone user’s mailbox or another change occurs, the Microsoft Exchange Server sends a User Datagram Protocol (UDP) notification to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Once the notification is received, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server starts to process the change. BES just doesn't only rely on UDP but it will rescan the mailbox every 15-30 minutes looking for changes. In reality, the BES server does not rely solely on UDP for new mail notifications because of network latency, packet loss, network congestion, and multiple hop counts between end points (i.e., the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and the Microsoft Exchange Server) increase the likelihood that UDP packets do not arrive at their destination. .

That's why in most cases receiving an email is instant on a Blackberry.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 04-11-11 at 05:28 PM.
    04-11-11 05:11 PM
    What a sarcastic wee bugger.
    There are three reasons I stay with BB:
    1. I'm an adult and I have the freedom to choose my personal device as I please.
    2. I am employed and can pay for the device I choose.
    3. The haters love this one:
    BECAUSE IT DOES WHAT I WANT - IT WORKS FOR ME.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Fonz0 likes this.
    04-11-11 05:26 PM
    What a sarcastic wee bugger.
    There are three reasons I stay with BB:
    1. I'm an adult and I have the freedom to choose my personal device as I please.
    2. I am employed and can pay for the device I choose.
    3. The haters love this one:
    BECAUSE IT DOES WHAT I WANT - IT WORKS FOR ME.

Agreed, besides #3, As I do not care what others think
    04-11-11 05:29 PM
    Interesting but this is total crap:

Every BlackBerry head knows that to have a fully functional device, reboots�whether by battery pull, or by keyboard shortcut�are a way of life. Users of other platforms see this as a hold-up, but this actually gives BlackBerry users an opportunity to use that waiting time elsewhere: hearing about your girl's day at work, catching up on some reading, or actually watching the TV show you were tweeting about.
    I don't want to use my waiting time elsewhere.

I can't tell you how many stock trades I have missed from this sht continually happening on my storm.
    04-11-11 06:25 PM

I can't tell you how many stock trades I have missed from this sht continually happening on my storm.
    Then you need the Blackberry Torch from AT&T. LOL
    04-11-11 06:33 PM

I mean, I know people love the storm, but you should invest in the new phones coming out. Honestly.
    04-11-11 06:38 PM
    "Every BlackBerry head knows that to have a fully functional device, reboots—whether by battery pull, or by keyboard shortcut—are a way of life. Users of other platforms see this as a hold-up, but this actually gives BlackBerry users an opportunity to use that waiting time elsewhere: hearing about your girl's day at work, catching up on some reading, or actually watching the TV show you were tweeting about."

Ha ha, so true, it's the only time I ignore my blackberry
    04-12-11 06:35 AM

That's another half truth right here isn't it Civic?

The 15 minutes poll can't be changed? For a start if you receive emails often it will be 5 minutes not 15 and this can be completely eliminated if you set your email on a blackberry using the imap setting not pop, after all if imap settings are not available for one email account on blackberry, it will not be available on all other platforms either.

Pot kettle Civic.
    04-12-11 06:41 AM
    Because people have to write articles to try and convince you to stay.
    Because people have to constantly make one liners trying to convince us to defect.
    buwee likes this.
    04-12-11 06:57 AM
    Along that vein people have to write articles to try and convince you their platform is better. That's the 10th reason to stay.

04-12-11 06:57 AM
    Reason #1 BBM *is* one of the reasons Blackberrys are popular with kids/teenagers worldwide.
    04-12-11 07:50 AM
    Actually, I don't care if you defect or not. By all means, please stay.
    Bingo. Right on the money. Stay, leave, whatever.
    04-12-11 07:52 AM
    BES is a true PUSH service where as Activesync is not (it is a poll and push mechanism)

Exchange uses MAPI and sends a UDP notify packet to BES to alert it that there is a new message to be delivered. BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange utilizes the MAPI notification system, in which a MAPI Advise session is registered for BlackBerry smartphone users. When a new item arrives in a BlackBerry smartphone user�s mailbox or another change occurs, the Microsoft Exchange Server sends a User Datagram Protocol (UDP) notification to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Once the notification is received, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server starts to process the change. BES just doesn't only rely on UDP but it will rescan the mailbox every 15-30 minutes looking for changes. In reality, the BES server does not rely solely on UDP for new mail notifications because of network latency, packet loss, network congestion, and multiple hop counts between end points (i.e., the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and the Microsoft Exchange Server) increase the likelihood that UDP packets do not arrive at their destination. .

Nice technical description. That said, why would I care if my BB gets email as fast as or slower than my wife's iPhone or my coworker's Droid? I think this is one area where BB has lost its huge advantage for sure. It is still a great platform and solution for email and push, but the advantage is gone.
    04-12-11 12:16 PM
    I don't care about a millisecond difference. However the great feature about BES is I can manage my phone emails differently than my outlook emails. To me that's a huge advantage.

04-12-11 12:20 PM

Exchange uses MAPI and sends a UDP notify packet to BES to alert it that there is a new message to be delivered. BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange utilizes the MAPI notification system, in which a MAPI Advise session is registered for BlackBerry smartphone users. When a new item arrives in a BlackBerry smartphone user�s mailbox or another change occurs, the Microsoft Exchange Server sends a User Datagram Protocol (UDP) notification to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Once the notification is received, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server starts to process the change. BES just doesn't only rely on UDP but it will rescan the mailbox every 15-30 minutes looking for changes. In reality, the BES server does not rely solely on UDP for new mail notifications because of network latency, packet loss, network congestion, and multiple hop counts between end points (i.e., the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and the Microsoft Exchange Server) increase the likelihood that UDP packets do not arrive at their destination. .

who mentioned BES....BIS was all that civic mentioned and what most of the RIMs customers use according to them
    04-12-11 12:21 PM
    Yup, I'm stuck on BIS.
    04-12-11 12:33 PM
    I dare you find me an email provider that doesn't support IMAP settings in this day and age. The scenario painted by Civic only applies to POP settings not IMAP, IMAP is instant on BIS.
    And as I said, if your email provider doesn't support IMAP you can't have it instant on Android either.

The difference is imap on android still has to connect to server every 15 minutes to let the server know what IP address your phone is using. Blackberry bis or bes knows where the device is at all times because it's always connected to the NOC.

The scenario Civic painted is nonexistent and it's because the user doesn't realize they can connect via imap not pop, user error.

04-12-11 12:45 PM
    ^^^ thank you. And exactly the same back at ya'.

04-12-11 03:08 PM
    rebooting my BB gives me valuable time at various points in the day to do what I want.
    04-12-11 03:25 PM
    Reason #1 BBM *is* one of the reasons Blackberrys are popular with kids/teenagers worldwide.
    come down to the USA. they all use iphones and androids. but yes, in Java Indonesia and Caracas, the kids "all" use BB.
    04-12-11 03:26 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD