The only thing I give a sh�t about with the new O.S is the new Webkit browser. Hope they release that as a stand alone app.
    04-27-10 01:32 PM

I'm with Chosen, here. I don't think OS6 will provide enough improvement for me to want it over OS5. So assuming they upgrade 5s browser for a better and faster experience, I won't be **** hurt if OS6 never comes to my 8900.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-10 03:04 PM
    They specifically said it wouldn't be separate, its going to be incorporated into 6.0.
    04-27-10 06:03 PM
    Here we go, another leaked OS 5.0.0.610 for Blackberry Bold 9000, Curve 8520 and Curve 8900 has just popped up concurrently. These leaked OS‘ are worth downloading if you are still running your devices with anything less than. Remember to use caution when you choose to install leaked item, back up your data prior to upgrading your OS and please do at your own risk. You may follow the links below if you require further instructions and information.

Download Leaked 5.0.0.610:

* Bold 9000 – hxxp://bit.ly/9ZvVrJ
    * Curve 8520 – hxxp://bit.ly/9yLLxM
    * Curve 8900 – hxxp://bit.ly/ds3VlT
    04-27-10 06:37 PM
    They specifically said it wouldn't be separate, its going to be incorporated into 6.0.

This is well known. I don't expect the webkit browser, but they should be able to upgrade it's speed no matter if we get full integration like in 6. Plus, a standalone browser from BB doesn't seem like a terrible idea. Seems like that could help advance it faster.

04-28-10 12:09 AM
    Yeah, we can all dream about a stand alone WebKit browser for our 8900's running OS 5... but I don't think that will ever happen. WebKit and OS 6 look to be locked hand in hand... you won't get one without the other.
    04-28-10 08:37 AM
    Sup guys.... kinda bum that os6 may not come out for the 8900. Aww well, BUT until RIM tells me something definite, I will keep the faith!

Until then.....where can I get a nice os6 theme for FREE? or cheaper than the 4.99 advertised somewhere?
    04-28-10 10:56 AM
    Probably not, but I'm quite happy with I Dream of 6, its a great theme
    04-28-10 10:57 AM
    Sup guys.... kinda bum that os6 may not come out for the 8900. Aww well, BUT until RIM tells me something definite, I will keep the faith!
    I believe they have said something pretty definite as far as "older" devices that will be targeted for OS 6... and the 8900 was not on the list.
    04-28-10 06:19 PM
    If you're referring to the list put out by BBLeaks, the only "old" devices were the 9700 and Storm 2. The other devices were the soon to be market released CDMA Bold and the 3G Pearl. Still, this information was put forward by their contact so we don't know how legitimate the claim is. I too am going to hold faith until I hear something official.
    04-28-10 06:31 PM
    If you're referring to the list put out by BBLeaks, the only "old" devices were the 9700 and Storm 2. The other devices were the soon to be market released CDMA Bold and the 3G Pearl. Still, this information was put forward by their contact so we don't know how legitimate the claim is. I too am going to hold faith until I hear something official.
    Yeah, my bad... I thought that was an official release... as you said, until we hear officially... there is hope.

04-28-10 07:26 PM
    It's funny how everyone is led so easily down a path of consumerism for the sake of consumerism. Most people know almost zero about 6.0 and yet they have to have it now. For no apparent reason. I never understood that mentality.
    I agree with you man. There is a lot of consumerism out there lately. So until RIM makes the proper announcements about future operating systems and/or devices, we should not be too concerned about what we don't have before we even have the chance to have it. The other thing I find kinda amusing is that people are saying RIM is slacking and not advancing, but the moment the advancement happens away from their capabilities people get ticked off. OS5 is still fairly new for a lot of the devices that are able to upgrade to it and it does a good job a what functions are implemented within it. I'm pretty sure RIM won't leave 8900's, 9000 in the dust for far too long and will update the devices to what they are fully capable, and anything more than what the phone can handle, people will start complaining about how slow their phones have become if they load technology not fit for their device. So until RIM makes official statement or release, people just need to "chill for real".

04-28-10 08:00 PM
    i asked willboy this and his reply was
    no it will not run on 8900, 9000, 9530/9500, or 9630. OS6 comes Q3
    and i trust his judgement due to the fact he is a bb god
    04-28-10 08:23 PM
    Unless Willboy works directly for RIM, he is going by everyone else's claim that OS 6 needs 512mb of RAM or the 9700's processor tied in with 256mb of RAM. Let's just all wait for an official announcement before we start abandoning ship and buying new devices. I have to say, I agree with Radius' claim on consumerism and how we quickly come to the assumption that "newer is better" according to the people that are selling us devices. Our 8900's run perfectly well on 5.0. If 6.0 comes, thats great! If not, I don't see justification for buying a new device that supports it. The devices are all too similar and I don't believe are worth the hundreds of dollars that come tied in with them.
    04-29-10 12:37 AM
    I suspect I'd rather have a fast and smooth running OS5 on my 8900 than a slow and memory starved OS6 if the suggested "minimum" requirements are what they are. By the time I need to upgrade my 8900... I'm sure there will be quite a few devices running OS6 that will have my interest... who knows.

From the video clip they posted, it certainly looks good... if you have a touch device... but I'm not losing any sleep over it not being on the 8900, let me tell you.
    04-29-10 10:59 AM
    Why is this thread a sticky?
    04-29-10 01:54 PM
    Why is this thread a sticky?
    I believe they want any and all OS 6 discussion to go in here as opposed to people opening up individual threads.
    04-29-10 01:56 PM
    I think that OS 5 can run on an 8300, then OS 6 should be able to run on an 8900. How well it'll run, is questionable.

Radius had a great point. And I think it's those consumers that are saying "RIM sucks" just because they don't have the biggest and best.

04-29-10 02:13 PM
    I believe they want any and all OS 6 discussion to go in here as opposed to people opening up individual threads.
    Ok, I just see a general thread....opinions and discussion are all anecdotal. No fact, made me wonder....
    04-29-10 02:17 PM
    I think that OS 5 can run on an 8300, then OS 6 should be able to run on an 8900. How well it'll run, is questionable.

Radius had a great point. And I think it's those consumers that are saying "RIM sucks" just because they don't have the biggest and best.

OS 5 does NOT run on the 8300, it only runs on the 8330, they are different hardware. Originally RIM had made builds of 5.0 for other models (they never leaked) but ultimately were scrapped since the devices could not handle it. What devices OS 5 is capable or running on has no bearing on what 6 will run on.

I suspect OS 6.0 is going to be much the same, RIM will try to get it on as many devices as it can, but in the end if performance suffers its just not going to happen.
    04-29-10 02:22 PM
    Hi there,

Just wanted to add that I started this thread out of a simple curiosity, I do partially agree with Radius that consumerism is unfortunately a major issue when news of OS releases are posted, but I'm sure some including myself, are/were curious to whether there was any wind of OS 6 coming to the 8900. I'm currently using 5.0.411 and am very happy with the way my phone is running as well as its current capabilities. I see no harm in trying an update if the day comes that 6.0 is available to 8900 users, if it causes lag or any such problems we can always downgrade, part of the fun for me is learning about and testing operating systems (I'm assuming, many of you are in the same boat, that's what makes us "CRACK"berry users instead of simple "Blackberry" users), I see no harm in opening up discussion, its not about being impatient, its about curiosity and general opinions on the topic. The moderator did a good job posting to ensure all 6.0 discussion remains in the same thread, I see no need to add any negative comments to a general inquiry, there was no previous post regarding this issue, so keep it positive, if you hear anything, post it, that's what the forum is here for, instead of slagging people for having ideas, or opinions, support them or don't bother posting, I'm going to assume that we all read this forum for the same reason, for help or to stay current and ensure our devices are running as efficiently as possible, if that happens to be using OS 5.0 or OS 6.0, it doesnt matter, we all have our preferences. Just my opinion!!!

Have a good night!

Titan
    04-29-10 10:24 PM
    05-01-10 06:07 PM
    Unless Willboy works directly for RIM, he is going by everyone else's claim that OS 6 needs 512mb of RAM or the 9700's processor tied in with 256mb of RAM. Let's just all wait for an official announcement before we start abandoning ship and buying new devices. I have to say, I agree with Radius' claim on consumerism and how we quickly come to the assumption that "newer is better" according to the people that are selling us devices. Our 8900's run perfectly well on 5.0. If 6.0 comes, thats great! If not, I don't see justification for buying a new device that supports it. The devices are all too similar and I don't believe are worth the hundreds of dollars that come tied in with them.
    yeah good point i realy hopr it is on 8900 looks quite sleek
    05-01-10 09:28 PM
    Being that I just got 5.0 and I love it...I can't even imagine what more they could do to improve the OS. I particularly love the threaded text messages.
    05-05-10 10:27 PM
    I think OS 6.0 is going to be really slick on touch devices... a lot of the enhancements are really focused around the touch interface. Hopefully we'll see some video of what it will look like on a non-touch device.
    05-06-10 06:39 AM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD