i updated my friends phone with this software and there were no visual upgrades and it still says .160 is this correct?
    09-22-09 11:54 PM
    i updated my friends phone with this software and there were no visual upgrades and it still says .160 is this correct?
    You are still running .160, but with some 5.0 modules. If you look at the modules (Options > Advanced Options > Applications > Modules), you will see some of them are now running 5.0 - hence this being a hybrid.
    09-23-09 09:31 AM
    You still attempting this?
    Sorry guys!! Have been busy the past couple weeks moving into my new house! Hopefully I will have some time this weekend or coming week- no promises though as the only 8830 I have right now is missing a USB port!
    09-24-09 02:02 AM
    Just installed .169 hybrid using Mac Desktop Manager. So far so good.
    09-27-09 02:44 PM
    Any luck yet?

Sorry guys!! Have been busy the past couple weeks moving into my new house! Hopefully I will have some time this weekend or coming week- no promises though as the only 8830 I have right now is missing a USB port!
    09-29-09 01:38 PM
    I actually just repaired the USB port last night. You guys watching me??

Will try to get on it this evening some time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-09 01:43 PM
    I actually just repaired the USB port last night. You guys watching me??

Will try to get on it this evening some time.

I can't wait
    09-29-09 05:18 PM
    Any guinea pigs still awake?
    09-29-09 09:26 PM
    @312 What are you updating?
    09-29-09 11:03 PM
    @312 What are you updating?
    I'm updating Skunkd's original hybrid to include updated 5.0 files. I've successfully updated the files. Working out a few bugs though right now.
    09-29-09 11:06 PM
    UPDATED

Many of you asked me to update our current hybrid originally made by Skunkd, and I finally got around to spending some time on it. It was good that I waited this long because I used the files from the recently leaked 5.0.0.230 for the 8330.

Before you install these files, know this: I in NO way claim this to be better than anything out there already, and I don't take whole credit for building it or responsibility for anything that goes wrong with your phone. Skunkd made the original hybrid and all I did was replace the 5.0 files he used. INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I shrunk most of (what I think are) the garbage files out of the OS. They are in the "Removed Files" folder. Feel free to add them back to the Java folder if you want. VAD was left in there so you can see your version #s in About, because ALT + H wasn't working for me for some reason.

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
    09-29-09 11:23 PM
    does anyone have a working link for 4.5.0.160 i would really like to install this to my phone. thanks in advance
    09-29-09 11:41 PM
    You can get .169 from the sticky on the 1st page.

09-29-09 11:43 PM
    UPDATED

Many of you asked me to update our current hybrid originally made by Skunkd, and I finally got around to spending some time on it. It was good that I waited this long because I used the files from the recently leaked 5.0.0.230 for the 8330.

Before you install these files, know this: I in NO way claim this to be better than anything out there already, and I don't take whole credit for building it or responsibility for anything that goes wrong with your phone. Skunkd made the original hybrid and all I did was replace the 5.0 files he used. INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I shrunk most of (what I think are) the garbage files out of the OS. They are in the "Removed Files" folder. Feel free to add them back to the Java folder if you want. VAD was left in there so you can see your version #s in About, because ALT + H wasn't working for me for some reason.

You're the man 312! I am swamped with lab reports and studying for midterms tonight, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I can't wait

Keith
    09-30-09 01:21 AM
    Ok, who am I trying to kid, its like telling a kid he can't eat candy on Halloween, that's just not gonna happen.

I just finished getting the new os5.0 files up onto my phone and so far my initial impressions are pretty good. The browsing seems about the same, but watching videos on youtube is much faster. The media player loads in no time at all, and the video starts playing only after a couple seconds, compared to the longer time it used to take. For those of you who watch youtube on your 8830, it takes longer to load the page where you click to load the video than it takes to start playing the video, and yes, its still in the small, not full screen size.

As far as general browsing goes, It loaded the main page of crackberry.com (not the movile site) in about a minute, and is much more "stable" if you will when loading the larger sized pages than before.

File free is about the same between the newest hybrid and the last updated one, i have about 13.5mb free. I'll let you guys know how the memory leak is tomorrow once it has time to leak out lol

Using google maps, it seems to work a lot better. I found with the last hybrid, the map was really slow to load more map when scrolling around. Its honestly almost no lag time when loading the maps, well maybe not "no" lag, but it is noticeably faster and smoother running. Also when searching for locations and going between the map view and viewing the info on the place has sped up a good bit.

Unfortunately most the people I know that I could call are sleeping already so I'll have to wait for tomorrow to see if that squeaking noise happens during longer calls.

As of so far, there really isn't any major issue or flaw that I can see (actually, if any) as of so far, so there is really no excuse for you guys to not update! lol

Thanks again Skunkd and 312!

Keith
    09-30-09 03:06 AM
    09-30-09 11:20 AM
    Ok so so far after running google maps, jive talk and the bottom dock theme at the beginning of this thread, I've only lost almost no free memory, so as of so far it seems to be pretty good on the memory leaking.

Keith

09-30-09 01:09 PM
    You can get .169 from the sticky on the 1st page.

thanks...the link was not working when i tried it...hybrid os is awesome

the link for BBM 5.0!! for 4.5 device

is not working...does anyone have an active link? thanks a lot
    09-30-09 05:07 PM
    09-30-09 05:12 PM
    worked! thanks
    09-30-09 11:12 PM
    Loaded @312 version. So far so good. Need to test phone in the morning. Phone seems to be a bit snappier and web brwsing is a lot faster.

09-30-09 11:18 PM
    UPDATE:

Great news, With the newest Hybrid (.196/.230) I haven't heard that squeak/chirping noise during calls, and I've been on the phone for a couple hours so far today. Another reason to give this hybrid an A+

Thanks again guys

Keith
    10-02-09 03:27 PM
    Another reason to give this hybrid an A+

Thanks again guys
    Agreed. Thanks skunkd and 312!
    10-02-09 06:19 PM

guys new hybrid

install 4.5.0.169 official bb os to your pc

this hybrid includes 4.6.1.305/5.0.0.230

just copy and paste within the java folder and delete your vendor.xml and run loader.exe

as always backup your phone before upgrading!

Make a backup, including third party apps:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

1) Go to Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any OS installed on your computer.

2) Download and install the .169 OS on your computer (currently the highest OS available for the 83XX series of BB, use what is highest). Move the .169 OS folder from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files to another location like your desktop.

3) Go to Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the .169 OS from your computer.

4) Download and install the highest OS available for your device on your computer.

5) Open up the Java folder in the OS that you downloaded at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\OS Folder\Java

6) Open another file explorer window and open the Java folder from the .169 OS folder that you moved from step #1. Highlight all the files in the Java folder and copy them to the Java folder in step #4 (the OS folder for your device).

7) Download the latest hybrid files to your computer and extract the files/folders.

8) Copy the hybrid files in the Java folder from the downloaded files/folders into the Java folder from step #5.

9) Optional: Shrink or use CrackMem to remove any unwanted stuff from your OS before loading on your BB.

10) Connect your BB to the USB port on your PC. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Apploader. Delete the vendor.xml file if it is there. Then double-click on loader.exe to load the hybrid on your BB.

*thanks to xliderider & justinadams
    Last edited by skunkd; 10-02-09 at 08:53 PM.
    10-02-09 08:50 PM
    Back to the ol' faithful 8830, huh?
    10-02-09 08:56 PM
380 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD