To all 8330m owners-
    I can verify the following after testing:
    *The .160 OS with the hybrid files inserted WILL NOT work, as the .160 OS was not made for the m series.
    *The hybrid files inserted into either .131 or .138 WILL work, although the App Version will only show 4.5.0.160, and not 4.6.0.267, as with the 8330
    *Trying to insert the 8330 hybrid files instead of the 8330m files (there are 2 rar files located in the 1st post) into .131 does NOT apply the upgrade.
    Hope this clears up any questions.
    06-11-09 10:17 PM
    Installed this earlier and so far the only thing I noticed is the occasional backlight lag. Wiped and re-installed again but still happens every once in awhile. Other than that it seems to run great.
    06-11-09 10:51 PM
    I'm running it now on my m and its a lot faster. No lag opening and closing programs and the trackball is super sensitive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-09 12:00 AM
    wow! I leave for 2 days and this happens!?

Installing now
    06-12-09 01:02 AM
    8330m guys...did it change Google maps any...will it use the internal GPS now?

VV
    06-12-09 05:11 AM
    8330m guys...did it change Google maps any...will it use the internal GPS now?

VV
    Nope. It's still not working. All other GPS apps work fine though.
    06-12-09 06:45 AM
    Still looks the same. I don't think I'll mess with the Plazmic files though. I'd rather go back to the original files and just re-encode my movies to fill this screen resolution instead.

Still a great OS despite this little quirk and the Google Maps thing.

I couldn't agree more! I'm thrilled with the speed of the OS and my bb now, and I can tell a difference in browsing, too!

I never really used Google Maps (hmm...maybe I should delete it to free up some memory), but when I was playing with it last night I had forgotten about some of the features it has over BB Maps, such as traffic. It can come in handy to be able to check a route prior to walking out the door...but I don't need the accuracy of my exact location for that so much. If it gets me close I can scroll the rest of the way.

One thing I noticed last night...POYNT (GREAT app, by the way), the first time I opened it, it located me via "cell tower/GPS". And it was accurate enough that I couldn't tell if it was wrong. The 2nd time it said GPS not supported. Then later it locked in on me again. Then this morning it didn't. I don't know what the deal is...I wish it could consistently find me via cell tower (and let's leave "GPS" out of it). But I expected it to be totally manual so if sometimes it finds me and sometimes it doesn't, then I guess sometimes I'm a little better off.

ETA: I have since learned from the people at Poynt that if my phone is working with a cell tower their service recognizes it will, indeed, locate me via cell tower (instead of GPS). However my experience has been "unreliable". Still, when it works it's a bonus.
    Last edited by French; 06-12-09 at 08:26 PM.
    06-12-09 07:07 AM
    I'm going to try to keep an eye on battery...I did notice this morning that coming into work I listened to Slacker and the battery drain seemed more significant than usual. Could be my imagination...like I said I want to keep an eye on it. Would appreciate any feedback others might have on the battery specifically.

Oh...one more observation I made last night comparing work bb (4.5.0.077) to this hybrid...the reception between the two bbs seemed to be about 2 dBms (whatever those are) off, consistently. With the 4.5.0.077 being the lower (lower=better). However, I also noticed that the 4.5.0.077 jumped a lot...it would shoot UP, then DOWN, and then "settle in" 2 dBms lower than the hybrid. At first I was like, "Bummer...I'm losing RF", but the other thing I observed was that while the 4.5.0.077 was jumping around and then settling, the hybrid was staying very consistent and even. If it fluctuated it fluctuated directly to where it stayed.

I can live with that. I think consistency is better than a 2 dBm gain if there is wild fluctuation in between.

I'm just tickled with this OS so far. Best one I've loaded to date, and I've loaded a ton of them!
    06-12-09 07:14 AM
    Hey, thanks for the hybrid! I am having to switch back to the official release of .160 though. I installed this yesterday and everything seems to be working great, however, my data keeps dropping in and out almost constantly. It has to be something with the hybrid release because it wasn't doing that before, and I check with my carrier and there hasn't been any outages or anything.
    06-12-09 07:18 AM
    xliderider i got it to work i forgot to use the shrink a os and loader.exe i thought you were talking about in the RIM folder
    thanks man

blackngray70 thanks for the step by step tutorial
    Last edited by renisen; 06-12-09 at 08:29 AM.
    06-12-09 08:26 AM
    You're welcome

06-12-09 12:21 PM
    Just confirming. Works wonderful, although I haven't noticed much of a speed increase.

Booting with 50mbs of free memory with 6 apps and a theme installed.
    Holding solid 1XEV and no call chirp
    06-12-09 12:29 PM
    Just confirming. Works wonderful, although I haven't noticed much of a speed increase.

Booting with 50mbs of free memory with 6 apps and a theme installed.
    Holding solid 1XEV and no call chirp
    Are you on VZW and did you swap the radio?

06-12-09 12:43 PM
    Are you on VZW and did you swap the radio?

Yes and yes
    06-12-09 01:16 PM
    Yes and yes
    Thankyou Sir

06-12-09 01:17 PM
    after I started using more and more, i am noticing small stuff that actually makes a difference. at first, i was getting constant hourglass activity but that went away after a battery pull.
    06-12-09 01:17 PM
    Yeah, it takes it a little while to settle in and get everything synced.

Your BB is now what Slingbox likes to call a "Frankenberry"

Last edited by blackngray70; 06-12-09 at 01:32 PM.
    06-12-09 01:21 PM
    Thankyou Sir

No prob

Hopefully we can add more files from 4.6/4.6 or 5.0
    06-12-09 01:23 PM
    I asked because lyricidal mentioned in a post somewhere about not swapping the radio.

He used the hybrid configuration that I put together and added 4.6 and 5.0 files.

So the radio file in his .rar file is from .131 and that swap was meant for VZW users.

So I edited my little tutorial to add that the radio swap is directed toward VZW users.

06-12-09 01:31 PM
    Anyone else having a problem changing the MMS ringtone options under the Normal Profile? I go to click on MMS, and nothing happens. I can change the ringtone options without issue under every other profile, but I can't get to the MMS options screen when trying to access through the advanced options of the Normal Profile.
    Not a huge deal; just something I'd like to rectify, if possible.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    06-12-09 06:30 PM
    So I decided to experiment - I installed the .138 8330m software. Then copied the CDMA folder somewhere else, extracted the 8330 hybrid into the .138 8330m software. THen reloaded CDMA file from .138 8330m software. Wiped and reloaded blackberry - Now operating system says 4.6.0.267. I'm not sure what this got me, or even if it makes anything better - but its legit to see 4.6 on my 8330m.

Anyone else try this/ know what i'm getting by doing this?
    also, we can't yet have 4.6 themes on the phone. Is it possible to make a hybrid with 4.6 plazmic modules? (net_rim_plazmic_...) one file is replaced to the 5.0.0.93, mediaengine_smil_format properties. what happens if we put all the 4.6 or 5.0 plazmic modules on here?

Let me know - this is awesome!

45477892 Free Space
    BBMaps
    Poynt
    Brickbreaker
    Password
    BBweather
    Score Mobile
    Pandora
    Bloomberg
    FML
    Shazam
    Facebook
    Appworld
    Last edited by elitistdogg; 06-12-09 at 06:47 PM.
    06-12-09 06:43 PM
    we can't yet have 4.6 themes on the phone. Is it possible to make a hybrid with 4.6 plazmic modules? (net_rim_plazmic_...) one file is replaced to the 5.0.0.93, mediaengine_smil_format properties. what happens if we put all the 4.6 or 5.0 plazmic modules on here?
    Well, for one thing, the display is different for BBs running 4.6 and up (8900 is 480 x 360, Bold is 480 x 320) and our Curves run at 320 x 240.

I don't what resolution my Curve's screen is running at now, but my home page icons got a little smaller and the spacing between the icons got a little bigger. Which makes me think it's running at a higher resolution. Maybe I'll try downloading a wallpaper made for the 8900 and see how it looks.
    06-12-09 06:53 PM
    Yes our curves have a different resolution - however the 8350i - does not. it has the same 320X240 resolution as we do. So logic is to download a 8350i theme - no success.

So basically what I'm asking, how does the operating system know what themes can be displayed - can we then change that file from a 4.6 operating system and then be able to use 4.6 themes. - theme maker allows you to change so much more to make an 8350i theme than a 8330 theme, which is why i'm so antsy now
    06-12-09 06:57 PM
    I just downloaded a wallpaper from the 8900 section on Crackberry, and it displays fine as a wallpaper. It doesn't look cropped at all.

Probably doesn't prove anything though, except that we can now use wallpapers meant for the 8900 now.
    06-12-09 07:11 PM
    This is exciting
    06-12-09 07:13 PM
770 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD