Hello,

I'm not a person, which is highly knowledges in IT.
    Reading this article, I found, that BlackBerry using with BIS (we're talking about 7 OS) is absolutely unsafe and outgoing data is not encrypted ! As I understood, a full data protection and encryption is only using BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server), when only when BlackBerry is communicating with BlackBerry can encrypt the data. Am I correct ?

So, there is a few questions:

1. Is BIS still safe or BIS safety is just a myth ?
    2. When using BIS, data transmission is going with your mobile network carrier (operator) server or using BIS the data is going to RIM's (BlackBerry) servers ? - It's the main question.
    3. Are BBM messages encrypted using BIS ?
    4. If a full data protection is only using BES, how does it cost ?

Thank you for replies.
    06-26-14 07:36 AM
    Hello,

I'm not a person, which is highly knowledges in IT.
    Reading this article, I found, that BlackBerry using with BIS (we're talking about 7 OS) is absolutely unsafe and outgoing data is not encrypted ! As I understood, a full data protection and encryption is only using BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server), when only when BlackBerry is communicating with BlackBerry can encrypt the data. Am I correct ?

So, there is a few questions:

1. Is BIS still safe or BIS safety is just a myth ?
    2. When using BIS, data transmission is going with your mobile network carrier (operator) server or using BIS the data is going to RIM's (BlackBerry) servers ? - It's the main question.
    3. Are BBM messages encrypted using BIS ?
    4. If a full data protection is only using BES, how does it cost ?

Thank you for replies.
    1) Yes BIS is safe.... and better than the zero encryption of other devices, it being unbreakable for security purposes is a myth.
    2) Traffic goes from your device to the carrier to BlackBerry Servers - going to another BlackBerry device it stays encrypted, going somewhere else, it is in the open.
    3) BBM is encrypted with a single key for all devices - so it's locked, but there are a lot of people with the keys. Your competitor down the street you should be safe from - some other Billion dollar company or the government, not so much.
    4) There is no full data protection - BES does provide a higher level of encryption when sending emails between two BlackBerry devices on the same BES Server. Once the email leaves a BES Server to another network, it open again. BBM is no more encrypted on BES than it is on BIS... but that is changing with the introduction of BBM Protect (not sure if it will be available for BBOS).

Cost can vary between free for BESX on your existing servers - to tens of thousands of dollars for equipment, OS licenses, Device license, IT Support to build, setup and maintain your network....
    06-26-14 09:27 AM
    So... BlackBerry would be really happy, when someone would buy its BES with full equipment...
    06-26-14 10:27 AM