What are people finding with these two leaks? I am running .662 and it feels very stable to me. I didn't give .643 a lot of time, but that was good as well. Has anyone given both a good amount of time? Which do you feel is better and why?

Thanks.
    05-10-10 12:27 PM
    I'm waiting to hear more before I upgrade to either. Good post.
    05-10-10 12:51 PM
    I haven't tried .662 yet, but I have been running .643 for about a week and love it! No memory leaks that I use to have on every other OS I ran! Battery life is good, browser is fast and overall everything seems snappier.
    05-10-10 01:17 PM
    Love .643 had .519 and had never hated a phone more made me sick but now right as rain since two days after 643 came out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-10 02:33 PM
    i have .662 and i had a text message freeze up the other night. just one contact. It wouldnt let me into the threaded message but it would on all the others....it was like i opened it halfway through the alert ,bc i happened to have the phone in my hand so it got all weird on me...i deleted the message and then pulled the battery and was fine after that...
    05-10-10 02:48 PM
    I started this thread because I saw a bunch of people having bad problems with .662, and I am definitely not having the problems with it. I have seen a few people having problems with .643, but mostly people praising it. I guess a lot might have to do with whatever apps people have running on their phones, but I definitely know that I didn't spend enough time with .643 to really make a good comparison.
    05-10-10 04:47 PM
    i just recently tried them both. I had tried numerous hybrids after the pos 591, and browser click was always there. both worked great , but 643 seemed like it had alittle more snap to it.
    05-10-10 04:53 PM
    I just switched to .643 this morning, after my best buddy has been using it after using .662 on his Tour for the last few days. He claims the battery and memory is better on .643. I figured I would test for myself. I really didn't have any problems with .662, but just want to see what is up. I had .643 for a two days when it was first released, but immediately switched to .662 when it was released, so I didn't really have a fair comparison. I will let you know of my findings. So far, so good though. And it seems maybe a little quicker. Who knows though.
    05-11-10 08:46 AM
    Okay, so far, the battery has been OUTSTANDING with .643, and no memory loss at all since I downgraded this morning. Also, since I downgraded to .643 from .662, I got back my yahoo email icon. WOO HOO!!!!!! I know to most people it doesn't matter, but I like having that icon. Good stuff. We will see how it goes. I have been on 95% battery since around 8:45-9:00 this morning.
    05-11-10 10:31 AM
    I received a voice mail 3 days ago. Listened to the voice mail, the icon WILL NOT go away. I've tried every fix I could find. I'm running .643 now. Getting ready to install a .643 hybrid to see if this will remedy the problem.
    05-11-10 11:26 AM
    Are you positive it is the voicemail icon? Are you sure you don't have an app world update or something?
    05-11-10 11:38 AM
    I loaded .662 the other night and everything seemed fine. Next day, I did a battery pull and the memory card could not be read message. I tried several things that were suggested in the .662 thread (except actually formatting the card as I haven't had a chance to get it backed up), with no success.
    So, last night I loaded .643, thinking that the memory card issue would go away. It still appears in .643, so something must have screwed up the card. I am hopeful that I can still get the pictures off of it, but we'll see.
    I haven't run either long enough to give a real comparison, but my first impressions are that .662 is faster in general (especially the browser) but has worse battery life. I have been doing so many reboots and battery pulls that I honestly can't tell anything about memory yet.
    05-11-10 12:45 PM
    I'm a huge fan on .643. I love everything about it. Memory, battery, and its quickness. No issues that I can speak of. I can't compare it to the .662 ver. But I think I'll be sticking with this.

05-11-10 02:02 PM
    I've been using .643 since it was leaked and I've had no problems on it. Initially, it seemed like the Bluetooth volume was low but I now no longer have that issue.

The battery life is superb with 5 apps continuously running in the background.

Memory leak is non-existent. With .419 my memory would begin at 102MB after a reset and hit 90MB by the end of the day. With .643, I begin with 105MB after a reset and hit 101MB by the end of the day.

The OS is snappy and browser is much faster than .419. There's no black screen delay when coming out of standby/lock mode. Btw, I LOVE the new lock feature.

I'm not gonna bother with .662. Once I find a great OS, I stick with it until a noticeably better OS comes out. Although I can't imagine anything topping what I have...unless it's a hybrid for .643

A stable, speedy BB OS is worth its weight in GOLD!

4.7.1.40 -> 4.7.1.61 -> 5.0.0.419 -> 5.0.0.643
    05-11-10 02:23 PM
    Back to .662 I go. After using .643 for a day my battery now quickly goes from 100 to 90 withing a half hour, and I had 2 random reboots. Never had that problem at all with .662. I just wanted to see how this OS would respond on my phone. At first it was really good, but I have had better luck and a much more stable OS with .662. I guess different OS for different people.
    05-12-10 07:41 AM
    I went from .454 to .662 over the weekend and have seen a world of good, but I am seeing a couple of issues.

1) iheartradio will load but it only will play a few stations. I select a station, it starts to buffer, and then stops.

2) When going through SMS conversations using N and P to move from message to message, the only messgae that gets marked as read is the last one I had open.

05-12-10 08:14 AM
    I am running .643 and have NO browser click issues, great browser speed, great battery life, and plenty of space for the few apps I have installed.

Definatley will be a better release for VZ than what they did with .591.
    05-12-10 09:04 AM
    Ok, I jumped the gun a bit. Seems iheartradio is an issue for all OS 5.0.0.6xx. iheartradio is aware and supposedly working on a fix.

As for performance, I'm noticing that .662 does seem MUCH snappier than .454. I never tried .519 or .643.

My battery life also seems much improved.

05-12-10 11:54 AM
    643 running about 24 hours, 4 battery pulls, running very smooth. Haven't found any bugs yet. And in case anyone gets the idea to try the 3G patch, don't. App Error 200 Reset screen of death.
    05-15-10 01:21 PM
    Question for you guys. I just upgraded to .643
    Are you removing the Enhanced GMail plugin?

I read that it kills battery life and have removed it in past upgrades. Is it worth getting rid of for .643 or has the battery issue been fixed?

05-15-10 06:12 PM
    I got my Tour from Sprint last month around the 26th, it came loaded with OS .484 out of the box (on the white label on the box, to the lower left of the "BlackBerry Tour 9630 Smartphone, with Camera" , is the code 010410, right above "Handheld Made in MEXICO 5", no green dot; don't know if this is relevant or not). From the beginning I had bad battery life, pretty bad voice service, and substandard data, at least when on the Sprint towers.

Around the 15th, I did the OS upgrade to .643 just to see if it helped my voice signal. At first it did, data service improved, OS speed was fast and the battery was alot better, but for me the "browser click" issue started, and the "Your handheld has been registered with the network' msg. kept repeating after batt. pulls, even after resending svc. books. I didn't mind that stuff so bad since the phone could still actualy pull enough signal to do voice w/.643.

A week went by, and I took the Tour to VA with me on an errand and it seems like after that, my battery life went down the drain, along with the signal. Voice would periodically never connect, and data was almost non-existent. I used the Signaloc app to determine that even though the phone would draw signal off all 4 towers in my home area (2 Sprint and 2 Big Red), it would quickly and constantly jump from one tower to another for no apparent reason, and it would disrupt any activity when it transitioned (It caused my phone to not be able to get any service from one of the Sprint towers, even though it showed it had 1-3 bars, or -94 to -109db). At least before with .484 if the phone couldn't do anything on Sprint, it would jump over and roam off Big Red and it worked great, but on .643 it wouldn't stay on any tower for more than a couple of minutes minutes at the most.

I got tired of this quick, and rolled the dice and upgraded to the .662 OS after researching around here. Everything feels right now. I can keep the phone off the charger all day now w/moderate use, "browser click" is gone, and the start-up time after a battery pull is at 4:10 seconds (timed from the exact moment the loading bar appears, in reality it closer to 4:30-35 from the time the batt. is actually inserted). I never timed .643, but it wasn't far from the .484 time it replaced. Signal is great now, no constant switching towers for no reason, it seems to find a working one now and sticks with it until it reasonably needs to.

I run the tether app. (v1.1.0.6), and it absolutely didn't like .643, it would hang and give me an uncaught exception error or UDP connection lost and close if it switched towers during data transfer. Also, Pandora would only work in a 3G area with .643, now it will work outside the 3G area but it still don't work as seamlessly as it did with .484.(I live outside the 3G area) Also, my BBweather would hang up updating the homescreen icon alot, freezing up data svc when it happened (this happened on both .484 and .643, .643 was worse though).

Its funny how people have different experiences with these OS's, my experience seems the opposite of the majority here. I did the upgrade using DM only to back-up my contacts/settings, and I used BBSAK and the loader.exe method to do the rest, with the "low-level wipe" done before each. I also pulled the sd card before doing each upgrade.

I'm not ripping .643, as I know it works great for alot of people, but it didn't work so great for me. All in all, I love .662! I'm not a gluten for punishment or I'd try .591 purely for kicks, but I get alot of straight-up silly pic. mails, and I couldn't have the phone burping, belching, and cussing (ETC!) at random times!

Thanks to the info from this great community here, I'm quickly learning to love this phone, and I'm coming from an old Samsung SPH-M520, which wasn't really a "smartphone", it was considered a "Multimedia Phone"...
    05-31-10 02:41 AM
    Where do I put my hands on either of these OSs? The links I have are dead...
    06-01-10 11:19 AM
    I've been using .643 since it was leaked and I've had no problems on it. Initially, it seemed like the Bluetooth volume was low but I now no longer have that issue.

The battery life is superb with 5 apps continuously running in the background.

Memory leak is non-existent. With .419 my memory would begin at 102MB after a reset and hit 90MB by the end of the day. With .643, I begin with 105MB after a reset and hit 101MB by the end of the day.

The OS is snappy and browser is much faster than .419. There's no black screen delay when coming out of standby/lock mode. Btw, I LOVE the new lock feature.

I'm not gonna bother with .662. Once I find a great OS, I stick with it until a noticeably better OS comes out. Although I can't imagine anything topping what I have...unless it's a hybrid for .643

A stable, speedy BB OS is worth its weight in GOLD!

4.7.1.40 -> 4.7.1.61 -> 5.0.0.419 -> 5.0.0.643
    EXCELLENT, VERY informative post. Thanks, (wo?)man, and welcome to the community! Keep posting stuff like this and you'll be a permanent hero.

06-01-10 05:24 PM
    Very nice review. I also have .643 and really like it... except for Bluetooth volume. It's much lower than 4.7.

Did you do anythig to increase/improve the bluetooth volume?

Thank you.
    Last edited by docfreud; 06-01-10 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typo
    06-01-10 07:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD