Hey Crackberry, I plan on getting my first BB soon (the 9900, can't wait!) from Vodafone UK. The plans they offer are typically 500mb (most UK providers are) data a month and I was wondering if that would be enough for BBM, pretty heavy Twitter and Facebook use, occasional browsing and checking my e-mails. If someone can do some number crunching for BBM that would be appreciated, like how much data each message takes.

This is my first post so if you think this is the wrong thread please move it for me (if admins can do that) or tell me an appropriate location and I will delete this thread and post it there.
    07-31-11 04:19 PM
    plenty for sure.

you can always check how much data you are using and they usually send you a text if you start becoming close to your limit but I doubt seriously you will get anywhere near it especially since you will most likely be in wifi zones so you'll be using that as well.
    07-31-11 04:23 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry and soon to BlackBerry. Enjoy both.

500megs should do you just fine. There are various data monitoring apps to keep track of usage for you.
    07-31-11 05:10 PM
    500mb is plenty, i use around 300mb a month, i bbm, twitter, and browse a lot.

around 100 emails a day and i stream Slacker around 15 minutes a day.
    07-31-11 05:11 PM
    Occasional browsing? I've been using the browser like a mad man and I was never able to exceed my 500mb limit,even if I wanted to! Use it whitout limiting yourself,I laugh all the time when I look at how much usage I got from my data plan.
    07-31-11 05:13 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry and soon to BlackBerry. Enjoy both.

500megs should do you just fine. There are various data monitoring apps to keep track of usage for you.
    Do you have a suggestion for an app like that?
    thnx!
    07-31-11 05:18 PM
    If I limit myself to BBM, twitter, and txt based emails I use 1-3MB per day,

Occational WAP browsing and that might jump up 1-2MB additionally

My OLD! Bell BlackBerry Plan has a 50MB plan that I've never gone over with my Style.

If you have Wifi at home you'll just limit downloading apps, and updating things to when you are on wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-11 05:19 PM
    I was gone for a week on the road, tethering my playbook to my berry, and watching 1 hour of you tube per day + heavy browsing + bbm + email.

Only burned through 128 MB of data in the week.
    07-31-11 05:29 PM
    Thanks for all the great replies! This forum is awesome! Also which device sounds better for someone like me, the 9900 or the 9790? (imagine money is no object).
    Last edited by Qbunto; 07-31-11 at 06:23 PM.
    07-31-11 05:59 PM
    9900 BIGGER KEYBOAD!! lol
    07-31-11 06:27 PM
    Yes BIS gives you Five to six to one compression ratio, I take my laptop and curve on the road alot and tether everywere I can using Tether, and even then I never came close to using up the 500 meg plan I have with Telus.

I use Telicost myself to monitor data usage as it gives a true compressed data display, not the uncompressed data that most web browsers and D/L app displays might give you.

CS
    PsyCorps likes this.
    07-31-11 06:41 PM
    @CanuckSoldier Is BIS included by default or is it an optional extra?
    07-31-11 07:05 PM
    It is an optional extra but I do recommend adding it if money is not an issue and also if you don't want to limit yourself with calling and texting only. Most features on a blackberry require a BIS data plan. Hope this helps

08-01-11 03:55 AM
    [QUOTE=luqman24;6529238]It is an optional extra but I do recommend adding it if money is not an issue and also if you don't want to limit yourself with calling and texting only. Most features on a blackberry require a BIS data plan. Hope this helps

Maybe it's just British carriers but there doesn't seem to be an option for BIS on the Carphone Warehouse for the 9900 so I'm pretty sure it is included as my sister uses BBM all the time on her 9700.

EDIT: Actually there is in the extra sections but it's only for Vodafone and it's an extra fiver a month. I'm hoping it's on the contract by default since it's �36.

EDIT 2: On the contract I was looking at the BIS wasn't an option (or Vodafone bolt-on as they call it) which leads me to believe it is already part of the contract. I'll have to ring them unless anyone knows or has purchased a BB recently.

EDIT 3: I rang the Carphone Warehouse, apparently the contract I was looking at doesn't have the bolt-on option as it is included. They were calling it the Blackberry Data Plan or something but he did mention BBM so I'm pretty sure that is it.
    Last edited by Qbunto; 08-01-11 at 07:13 AM.
    08-01-11 05:10 AM
    500MB is plenty. I never even come close to 100 and I use my phone a lot.
    Alberta Blue likes this.
    08-01-11 08:00 AM
    BIS is just the BlackBerry data plan. It's the data plan for BlackBerry, and it's called BIS. It comes from your carrier, and it's part of your monthly service. It's the only data plan you need.
    08-01-11 08:02 AM
    BIS is not an optional extra, not for Vodafone UK, it costs just as much as getting a data plan for any other phone. Usually is �5.00 on contract or payg.

08-01-11 08:09 AM
    I have unlimited data on my plan with sprint but I never go over 250MB... NEVER and I've tried too!!

08-01-11 10:05 AM
    500MB is pretty standard in the UK. I've never got near 500MB on my account.
    08-01-11 11:01 AM
    500MB is pretty standard in the UK. I've never got near 500MB on my account.
    I have a few times but only because I would download 40-50mb podcasts and even those would be compressed. With normal use you never ever reach 500mb.

08-01-11 11:10 AM
    I agree with the replies in this thread...

I use my device like a lunatic and have several emails set up, constantly receiving emails, notifications (social networks) and browsing the internet and using tapatalk (for multiple forums).
    08-01-11 11:12 AM
    I have a few times but only because I would download 40-50mb podcasts and even those would be compressed. With normal use you never ever reach 500mb.

With podcasts it can be easy to go over 500Mb if you listen to a few a week that are regularly updated.

I have my podcast app set to only download via WiFi so this doesn't cause me a problem.
    08-01-11 11:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD