I know there are many threads started out there about the .419 leak, everyone is still really stoked. Yea it's a great leak. Enjoy it! But if you want to try your luck with a hybrid and make it even better, head over to BBHybrids. Irtehun and crew released FOUR new hybrids to the general public last night only hours after .419 hit the interwebs. Now THAT is service.

BBHybrids Forums - Downloads - 9630 Hybrid 50v8.0 (5.0.0.419 Based)

You will see this is a multi-install meaning that there are 4 different options:
    5.0.0.419/5.0.0.412 (from 9650 leak)
    5.0.0.419/5.0.0.423 (from 9700 leak)
    5.0.0.419/5.0.0.428 (from 9550 leak)
    5.0.0.419/5.0.0.436 (from 9520 leak)
    You will be asked to pick which you want in the beginning of the install.

All use the .419 base and radio leaked for the Tour yesterday. Having a hard time deciding? Initial reactions to the hybrids can be found here --> 9630-50v8.0-Fixes-and-Findings

I know you all just loaded up your Tour's with the new leak yesterday but don't hold back these are solid hybrids people! Enjoy! Thanks again to the hard working crew at BBHybrids and to the great people at BBLeaks for making this all possible.

Feel free to post your own findings and results here.
    Last edited by willyboy6; 01-05-10 at 01:29 PM.
    01-05-10 08:21 AM
    I didn't even try the stock .419. Running the .436 hybrid. great so far. I'll report any issues
    01-05-10 08:48 AM
    What makes this hybrid better than the leak by itself, please?
    01-05-10 09:17 AM
    What makes this hybrid better than the leak by itself, please?
    The same thing that made the .230 hybrids better than the straight .230 I suppose. Any hybrid is aimed at providing increased stability, speed, battery life, etc. I obviously haven't had time to run all four yet, but since running the .419/.428 combo I've noticed better battery life for sure, albeit still kind of early to truly judge.

Some people just like to try different combination's. I tend to find that something different works best for everybody.
    01-05-10 09:50 AM
    Better Battery life would be awesome, and so would increased speed. But it would have to be dramatically obvious that these things are really happening. What are the hybrids doing differently that the RIM people are missing to improve these two basic things? I'm only asking because I'm curious. It's a shame that RIM didn't catch this and these hybrids are plugging up such blatant holes.
    01-05-10 10:45 AM
    Better Battery life would be awesome, and so would increased speed. But it would have to be dramatically obvious that these things are really happening. What are the hybrids doing differently that the RIM people are missing to improve these two basic things? I'm only asking because I'm curious. It's a shame that RIM didn't catch this and these hybrids are plugging up such blatant holes.
    If you noticed in my OP, i make mention of the different device leaks that these hybrids take files from. .42x gives the 9700 amazing battery life and apparently .43x eats up the S2 battery. Different files work differently for different devices, or in some cases, the same files work differently for different devices also. RIM surely uses similar code and objectives when developing each specific OS, but in the end they are geared towards that device.

Hybrid makers try to take the best files from each device and make the base one for their device even better. Some will give you more speed, but eat up more battery. Others are more conservative on battery life but may not render web pages as quickly.

Give a little here, take a little there. Ultimately, it all comes down to personal preference.
    01-05-10 10:56 AM
    Battery life seems good for me so far on .436 hybrid. 2.5% an hour. I have sent some text BBM and a couple short calls. Nothing to brag about yet, but better than the 7.15 hybrid. Maybe I'll DL some apps and themes and see what happens.
    01-05-10 11:46 AM
    downloading now...here's hoping bugs are fixed
    01-05-10 12:07 PM
    ^Do they fix bugs?
    01-05-10 12:14 PM
    I still don't see what the "FULL JAVA" means in the hybrid installs.
    As far as I can see, I still don't have full java support on websites...

Dm
    01-05-10 12:30 PM
    DL Pandora. Bolt. Seesmic. Sent more BBM messages. Battery went up to 3.1% per hour. I have always had pretty bad signal at work. this radio has the best I have EVER used. I usually can't even update FB here and today I DL 3 programs. Thats great by my standards.
    01-05-10 12:41 PM

Dm
    Java is that folder that has all the files in it. It what gets installed on your phone. Not Java script support
    01-05-10 12:42 PM

Dm
    Arte is correct. Full java refers to the fact that all the java files are changed in these hybrids, not just some as in other hybrids. Other hybrids mixed cods from many other leaks. These four are unique in that besides the necessary .419 modules they contain all cods from the other OS, and only that OS.
    01-05-10 12:53 PM
    Let me know when they can change the 1XEV back to 3G and maybe swap some of my icons. I prefer the old media folder to the "play button" folder. Until then, I won't be using anymore hybrids. They just aren't for me. I want to know what they do, not just swap a bunch of files indescriminently.
    01-05-10 12:54 PM
    if i installed it correctly what should my screen read? whats the hot keys i need to press to see this screen again??
    01-05-10 12:58 PM
    I know there are many threads started out there about the .419 leak, everyone is still really stoked. Yea it's a great leak. Enjoy it! But if you want to try your luck with a hybrid and make it even better, head over to BBHybrids. Irtehun and crew released FOUR new hybrids to the general public last night only hours after .419 hit the interwebs. Now THAT is service.

BBHybrids Forums - Downloads - 9630 Hybrid 50v8.0 (5.0.0.419 Based)

You will see this is a multi-install meaning that there are 4 different options:
    5.0.0.419/5.0.0.412 (from 9650 leak)
    5.0.0.419/5.0.0.423 (from 9700 leak)
    5.0.0.419/5.0.0.428 (from 9520 leak)
    5.0.0.419/5.0.0.436 (from 9550 leak)
    You will be asked to pick which you want in the beginning of the install.

All use the .419 base and radio leaked for the Tour yesterday. Having a hard time deciding? Initial reactions to the hybrids can be found here --> 9630-50v8.0-Fixes-and-Findings

I know you all just loaded up your Tour's with the new leak yesterday but don't hold back these are solid hybrids people! Enjoy! Thanks again to the hard working crew at BBHybrids and to the great people at BBLeaks for making this all possible.

Feel free to post your own findings and results here.
    Just FYI, the 9550 did not have a .436 leak, that was the 9520...
    01-05-10 01:11 PM
    about screen should show 5.0.436
    01-05-10 01:12 PM
    Arte is correct. Full java refers to the fact that all the java files are changed in these hybrids, not just some as in other hybrids. Other hybrids mixed cods from many other leaks. These four are unique in that besides the necessary .419 modules they contain all cods from the other OS, and only that OS.
    Ah, splendid explanation. Thank you guys!

Dm
    01-05-10 01:19 PM
    Ah, splendid explanation. Thank you guys!

Dm

Willys explanation beat mine for sure
    01-05-10 01:22 PM
    Just FYI, the 9550 did not have a .436 leak, that was the 9520...
    Thanks for pointing that out. Darn storm has so many diff numbers I must have gotten confused there. My apologies, I fixed the OP.

Let me know when they can change the 1XEV back to 3G and maybe swap some of my icons. I prefer the old media folder to the "play button" folder. Until then, I won't be using anymore hybrids. They just aren't for me. I want to know what they do, not just swap a bunch of files indescriminently.
    It's not that they are changed "indiscriminately", that makes the creators sound uneducated. It takes MANY trial and error sessions to truly find out what modules can and should be switched out, which ones make a difference, and which ones do what.

The 1XEV --> 3G is being looked in to, but it is likely that this change is tied to the .sfi radio file, and not any of the java .cods. This change also likely means that VZW saw this OS for testing since they will be releasing an official with 1XEV and not 3G. Whether or not the release .419 or something higher is yet to be seen. I haven't tried all four of the new hybrids yet, but if the media folder changes back to the symbol I will point out which hybrid does this, or maybe try to isolate the cod.

Sorry to hear that hybrids aren't for you. Some users consider this a hobby and think it's fun to tinker with their phones to find out what works best. There are also many other reasons people might do it. In the end, it can be time consuming, but rewarding.

Many of the changes that hybrids make are not surface changes i.e. folder icons or text styles, but rather make changes in the background that affect battery life, speed and transition, and responsiveness of the device. To explain to you which .cod files were swapped to give you a faster transition from locked to unlocked would likely not make any sense to you, and bore you in the process. You seem like the type of person that does not want to put anything on your phone that you're note sure what it does, and I cannot fault you for that. Hybrids most definitely are not for you. Just know this isn't the first time these people have created hybrids, and they know what they're doing.

if i installed it correctly what should my screen read? whats the hot keys i need to press to see this screen again??.
    Depends which one you installed. Mine reads app version 5.0.0.428 (689). All the platforms should read 4.2.0.179 since they're all using the .419 radio. To view the help screen the shortcut is alt+shift+h.
    01-05-10 01:39 PM
    Sprint users: Does the PRL still remain after reboot?
    01-05-10 02:56 PM
    Sprint users: Does the PRL still remain after reboot?
    Yes it does, but you will get a "blackberry registration" e-mail everytime instead, lol, what a trade off!
    01-05-10 02:58 PM
    Yes it does, but you will get a "blackberry registration" e-mail everytime instead, lol, what a trade off!
    Aw dang. This was one issue that was really bugging me with the stock version. When I install the hybrid on my computer, I need to have the stock installed first, right?
    01-05-10 03:02 PM
    Aw dang. This was one issue that was really bugging me with the stock version. When I install the hybrid on my computer, I need to have the stock installed first, right?
    That is correct. I haven't tried all four hybrids yet, so perhaps it is fixed on one, but I haven't heard anyone mention that's the case yet. (plus, I'm on VZW)
    01-05-10 03:04 PM
    If you noticed in my OP, i make mention of the different device leaks that these hybrids take files from. .42x gives the 9700 amazing battery life and apparently .43x eats up the S2 battery. Different files work differently for different devices, or in some cases, the same files work differently for different devices also. RIM surely uses similar code and objectives when developing each specific OS, but in the end they are geared towards that device.

Hybrid makers try to take the best files from each device and make the base one for their device even better. Some will give you more speed, but eat up more battery. Others are more conservative on battery life but may not render web pages as quickly.

Give a little here, take a little there. Ultimately, it all comes down to personal preference.
    This is the best explanation I've ever read! Thank you! Now I understand what all the fuss is about.
    01-05-10 03:33 PM
147 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD