I have verizon and a 8330 Curve. I am running OS 4.5.0.97 beta. I noticed VZW has released an official 4.5.0.77. My question is, which is better and why? Thanks to all who help.
    11-03-08 05:50 PM
    4.5.0.77, on my 8330, had the speakerphone glitch--when you answer the phone, it answers on speakerphone for a second or so, causing nasty noise on the callers end. It also has a second bug--the video camera light has an automatic setting, which no longer works. There also was a memory leak, which amounted to a loss of 5mb or more per day, dropping from 48mb file free to 30mb in a few days.

4.5.0.97 on my phone, the video cam light bug is still there. The speakerphone glitch wasn't there for the first few days after installing .97, but it's there now.

On the plus side--the memory leak is drastically reduced, and the OS seems snappier and faster most of the time.

Your choice. I'm sticking with .97.

EDIT--Just noticed you asked about the VZW .77. Sorry, I haven't tried it yet--just the Cellular South. I have downloaded the VZW release and will install it on my wife's 8330.
    Last edited by Arninetyes; 11-03-08 at 07:32 PM.
    11-03-08 06:30 PM
    Until someone proves me the contrary, I am sticking with .97.
    11-03-08 08:33 PM
    The vzw .77 and the cellular south .77 should be exactly the same. I ran the .77 and the .89 and I like the .97 and will stick with it even though it is a beta.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-08 08:37 PM
    I've been on .97 for about a week now. When I initially installed it, I had issues with the music player recognizing all the music on my 16gb card...the scanning would take a long time & all the music wouldn't display. I fell back to .89, but decided to give .97 another shot. The 2nd time was the charm...music player issues are gone & so is the speakerphone issue. So far so good.
    11-15-08 05:22 PM
    Been running 4.5.0.97 for a week. No issues, smooth operation.

Enjoy the addiction
    11-15-08 08:04 PM
    i had .97 after it first came out but found it to be rather slow... even slower than cellular south .77

then verizon released official .77 so i decided to try it. and runs WAY better, maybe my .97 install was botched? everybody seems to be getting better results with it.

i guess ill give it another go
    11-18-08 07:33 AM
    whats the cam light bug you speak of?
    11-20-08 11:52 AM
    Been running 97 couple days finding
    Improved speed.
    More memory.
    Video camera automatic light setting doesn't work.
    Speaker burst is present.

I'm going to stick with 97 till Sprints official release
    Last edited by Slingbox; 11-20-08 at 04:31 PM.
    11-20-08 04:27 PM
    whats the cam light bug you speak of?
    When using cam there is automatic light setting that enables light automatically when recording in dark area.
    That setting doesn't work.

The speaker Burst annoys the heck out of me though...All current 4.5 beta build have it.i was so very tempted to drop back down to 4.3 today because of it but I will hold tight till Sprint releases there version of 4.5

Either then that rom is snappy giving more available memory.
    11-20-08 04:37 PM
    Supposedly, someone did some scenario testing and found out that if you're on speakerphone during a phonecall and hang up while on speaker, the next incomming call will have the speaker blast bug. Conversly, if you hang up the conversation while on headset, then the next incomming call will not speaker blast when answered. That's just what I heard and I've been testing this as well and it seems to be true, but I need more time to verify it fully.
    11-20-08 04:49 PM
    I just got finished with 4.5 97 reflash finding Blast accruing on first called answered.
    I then did testing with HM phone land line calls to Curve having same results.

Anybody know were I can get a copy of Official Sprint 4.3 rom for Curve ? lol
    Last edited by Slingbox; 11-20-08 at 07:00 PM.
    11-20-08 06:57 PM
    my phone really is lagging today. i put .97 on a bit ago after getting sick of people hearing the first 3 secs of someone saying hello.

now my phone has been lagging. getting a null exception error. **** even today it shut down when trying to fwd a media message. so i don't know..

i am noted on my vzw acct to get the 249 price on the strom so i have that locked in .. al i gotta do is call tomm.
    11-20-08 09:45 PM
    Just dump 97 going back to 77 or 4.3
    I Couldn't take speaker burst anymore on 97 last night so I went back to 4.3
    11-21-08 09:13 AM
    Just dump 97 going back to 77 or 4.3
    I Couldn't take speaker burst anymore on 97 last night so I went back to 4.3
    I agree with you on that one. I am about to dump 4.5 all together and go back to 4.3 just so that I don't have that annoying blast any longer.
    11-21-08 02:34 PM
    I agree with you on that one. I am about to dump 4.5 all together and go back to 4.3 just so that I don't have that annoying blast any longer.
    Good call.
    Member over at Sprintusers said that Sprint 8330 rom will be 4.6 which would explain release delay.
    I believe him seeing that he posted hands on pics of Nextel Curve which will be running 4.6
    I will stick with 4.3 till then
    11-21-08 06:05 PM
    I can understand the frustration and everyone needs to make their own decision, but if it's a matter of going off speaker when you hang up the phone (what JRSCCivic98 said above), that seems like an easy workaround until we have an OS which resolves the problem.

For me at least, that's a small price to pay for HTML email and Doc2ToGo.
    11-22-08 03:17 PM
    One thing I noticed when going to .97 is that Brickbreaker can be played with audio enabled, whereas it would cause my 8330 to reboot a few seconds into the first game with .77.

No speakerphone issues after updating.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 05:56 PM
    Incase some of you haven't noticed, 4.5 Os has a better web browser all around. You can actually visit websites without being automatically diverted to the mobile version of the websites. Example...Yahoo.com will force their mobile website on Blackberry Os 4.3 and earlier and prompts you to download Yahoo! Go. With Os 4.3 and earlier you can't see the real Yahoo! website page no matter what you do. Even setting the browser emulation mode to Internet Explorer will not enable the real Yahoo! website on you Blackberry. You will only be able to see the mobile version of the website. Just a little heads up. And to me this improvement as well as html email is well woth the upgrade even with the speaker burst in 4.5. By the way I had MTS 4.5.056 and there was NO speaker burst at all. But with 4.5.077 the speaker burst is there.
    11-25-08 08:35 PM
    I agree. The browser is much nicer, looks better, and seems to render pages a bit quicker than the 4.3 browser.
    11-26-08 09:46 AM
    I upgraded to .97 from .77 without wiping with JL_Cmndr and had numerous problems. Thinking it was the OS, I downgraded back to .77 and noticed all of the problems were still there (speaker, lagging, hourglass....etc). I decided to read up on both versions and saw that people were having more issues with .77 than they were with .97, so I decided to try it again, but this time I wiped my Curve clean with JL_Cmndr first. I can honestly say that .97 is the smoothest version of 4.5 I've installed yet! The speaker problem is gone, there's no lagging and I've only seen that stupid hourglass twice and it was only for a half second.
    12-01-08 12:51 AM
    I upgraded to 4.5.097 on my Sprint 8330 Curve and my phone is much more responsive and faster overall .Now when I say faster I mean very noticably faster not just a tad faster. This is as far as navigating the menu system and opening/closing message folders etc. I had the speakerphone burst in .077 but I haven't had it happen yet in .097. My html was not working in .077 for some reason but it's working now and I can download email images with no problems now. Coming from Verizon to Sprint I can honestly say the web browsing speed is actually much faster with Sprint so I can't say for sure if .077 has a faster browser than previous versions. I'm much happier with my data speed with Sprint over Verizon but that's for another thread. I have also noticed in .077 that when Iplay my dvd ripped movies on my Curve it saves my place in the movie even when I completely close the media player not just when it shows "now playing". I don't have any more feedback on versio 4.5 .097 right now but I will say that I'm happy with it in its current beta form and will not be going back to .077 since I haven't had any problems or bugs.
    12-01-08 01:41 AM
    I previously had 4.5.77 and i just upgraded to .97 and i must say at first it was much slower and i absolutly hated it, but after a battery pull it is like a new phone. very snappy (alot more responsive than .77) and so far i havent had the speakerphone issue. if anyone is thinking about upgrading so far this is the best version i have downloaded.
    12-01-08 07:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD