I have YouMail (I like the ditchmail feature). There are 3 applications that have me totally confused.

1. YouMail for BlackBerry.

2. YouMail Visual Voicemail.

3. VyMail.

All of these have me totally confused.

What does YouMail for BlackBerry do that Visual Voicemail does not do?

Can I have them both on my berry at the same time - do they work together, or should I just use 1, and if 1, which?

Does YouMail Visual Voicemal do anything that VyMail does not do? The YouMail Visual Voice seems to load my contacts, will load my greetings, but there seems to be no connection. I mean, I don't know why it loads my contacts. I can't seem to assign a greeting to them from there. All I can do with my greetings it loads seems to be to change my default greeting. So what is the point of this?

Does VyMail do anything (other than look better, from what I've read) that YouMail Visual Voicemail does not do?

I'm confused a bit I guess to the differences between these 3 and which 1 or more I need should I want this on my BlackBerry.

Sorry to be so stupid, but it all has me puzzled.
    Last edited by rachaelrant; 05-24-09 at 09:53 PM.
    05-24-09 09:26 PM
    I'm currently using Youmail and I'm not familiar with the VyYoumail but the Visual You mail allows you to read your messages via email or mms. I know there's a Youmail BlackBerry app but I could never get it to work right.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-09 09:31 PM
    YouMail is the actual voicemail service. It's like having voicemail service thru your phone carrier, but thru another company.

YouMail Visual Voicemail, along with VyMail are used WITH the service. They do the same thing. Some like VyMail better. No, you do not need both.

Visual Voicemail allows you to view the details of your voicemail.

To assign/change greetings, etc. you login to your YouMail account.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 05-24-09 at 09:35 PM.
    05-24-09 09:31 PM
    YouMail is the actual voicemail service. It's like having voicemail service thru your phone carrier, but thru another company.

YouMail Visual Voicemail, along with VyMail are used WITH the service. They do the same thing. Some like VyMail better. No, you do not need both.

Visual Voicemail allows you to view the details of your voicemail.

To assign/change greetings, etc. you login to your YouMail account.
    I guess I'm not making any sense here. I KNOW YouMail is the voicemail service, I KNOW what it is. I'm talking about the applications for the BlackBerry - the application that puts an icon on your screen and is called YouMail for BlackBerry (which does not seem to do ANYTHING), then there is YouMail Visual VoiceMail (that also puts an icon on the BlackBerry screen and allows you to visualize your voicemail) and the VyMail that works through YouMail but also puts an icon on the BlackBerry screen.

I understand that VyMail and YouMail Visual voice are about the same thing, but I have heard that VyMail looks better. Is that the ONLY difference or does YouMail's version offer something more? I mean it does the download of my contacts and my YouMail greetings, but again, I can't seem to do anything with these, so I don't understand it.

I don't understand the YouMail for BlackBerry application, as it doesn't seem to do anything - at least not anything that the other 2 don't do.

I am not asking about YouMail. I get that. I'm talking about the difference between these 3 applications FOR YouMail and which, if any, should be on my phone as an icon to utilize my YouMail.

I hope that makes more sense, because obviously, my first post was not clear. LOL
    05-24-09 09:59 PM
    If you don't have visual voicemail for your blackberry, can you still use YouMail as a visual voicemail or no?
    05-24-09 10:00 PM
    I'm currently using Youmail and I'm not familiar with the VyYoumail but the Visual You mail allows you to read your messages via email or mms. I know there's a Youmail BlackBerry app but I could never get it to work right.

Thanks. I guess that is part of my question as far as the BlackBerry YouMail app - I don't know if it is working right or not, as I'm not sure what the heck it is actually supposed to do.

VyMail is similar to YouMail's visual voice service - free, and supposedly looks better. You have to have a YouMail account to use it. However, other than that, I'm not sure what the difference is.

So you are able to utilize YouMail on your BlackBerry without any of these other applications? It seems like there is no real advantage to any of them if they are not necessary for using YouMail.

Thanks.
    05-24-09 10:03 PM
    If you don't have visual voicemail for your blackberry, can you still use YouMail as a visual voicemail or no?
    That is kind of what I'm asking. Do I need either one of those apps (VyMail or YouMail Visual Voicemail) or can I just use the YouMail functionally without them.

My other question is, what is the YouMail for BlackBerry application actually supposed to do.

LOL - I have to laugh, becuase here I wrote that whole long post that obviously was not clear to anyone, and you got it in almost 10 words or less.

But yes, that is one of my questions.
    05-24-09 10:06 PM
    That is kind of what I'm asking. Do I need either one of those apps (VyMail or YouMail Visual Voicemail) or can I just use the YouMail functionally without them.

My other question is, what is the YouMail for BlackBerry application actually supposed to do.

LOL - I have to laugh, becuase here I wrote that whole long post that obviously was not clear to anyone, and you got it in almost 10 words or less.

What i was trying to say is that i dont have visual voicemail linked to my phone account whatsoever. IF i do get this "YouMail" will i magically get visual voicemail?
    05-24-09 10:14 PM
    You don't need any of the apps to actually use YouMail. I listen to my messages via, email or pc. I edit my account via PC (example: add contacts, greetings or block numbers). I couldn't begin to tell you what the apps do or don't do because like I said before I could never actually get it to work on my BlackBerry either. I hope that helps.
    Side note: I prefer to listen to my messages via email so I won't use up my mins......

05-24-09 10:37 PM

Well, we tried to help you. I guess you've got it now.
    Good luck...
    05-24-09 10:54 PM
    You don't need any of the apps to actually use YouMail. I listen to my messages via, email or pc. I edit my account via PC (example: add contacts, greetings or block numbers). I couldn't begin to tell you what the apps do or don't do because like I said before I could never actually get it to work on my BlackBerry either. I hope that helps.
    Side note: I prefer to listen to my messages via email so I won't use up my mins......

Thanks! That helps a lot. And yes, it is nice to not have to call the number and use minutes.

Thanks again!
    05-25-09 12:17 AM
    No prob, glad I could help!

05-25-09 07:38 AM
    That's not entirely true. Just forwarding the call itself to the YouMail service will take up minutes. At least this is true on at&t. If you look at your account online (or your bill) you'll see something like this:
    05-25-09 08:35 AM
    I know that the forwarding service uses up 1min (so your not telling me anything I already don't know). But 1min is still a lot less than wasting mins listening to prompts and messages that may or may not be important.

05-25-09 12:05 PM
    I know that the forwarding service uses up 1min (so your not telling me anything I already don't know). But 1min is still a lot less than wasting mins listening to prompts and messages that may or may not be important.

LOL and I know that 1min is still a lot less than wasting mins listening to prompts and messages - so you are not telling me anything I don't know. LOL

I guess I'm not making my question clear.

YouMail sends me an email notification so I have the option of going to the site by email or listening to the prompts by dialing in. Because I can get there by email, is there an advantage of having the visual vm (regardless if by vymail or youmail vv)?

I mean if I can already do that, other than the way it is displayed, do either of these applications do anything YouMail itself does not do? I can see how the visual voice looks nice (whether by vymail or youmail's version) but I just want to know if they are necessary, and I'm not sure either is.

However, should I choose to go with one, other than vymail looking nicer, does it do something youmail's version does not do, or does it make more sense to go with youmail's visual voice because it is part of youmail so your messages are right there when the are left there or what?

I also am trying to figure out what the YouMail for BlackBerry app (an entirely different application from the visual voice apps) is actually supposed to do, because when I downloded it, I couldn't see that it did anything, or at least not anything that the other apps did not already do.

Anyway, I guess I am just not making any sense, so I'll just continue to play with them all (as well as just YouMail alone) and figure it out.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
    05-25-09 12:56 PM
    Is there a particular reason you feel you need to have one of the apps? Or do you just want to have them? Cause you really don't need them to use YouMail.
    Also when YouMail emails me notifications to my BlackBerry I click the attached link that's @ the end of my email so I don't even go on the PC.
    Also I think it would be easier for ppl to answer your questions if you weren't asking so many @ once.

05-25-09 01:13 PM
    No, I don't want them if I don't need them. That was my question - do I? And it seems I don't.

Thank you.

Though I would still be interested in what the "YouMail for BlackBerry" application that puts an icon on the phone is supposed to do.

But I don't want any of these if they are not necessary and don't provide anything I don't already have.

I mean it seems to me the email provides it already and I know I don't have to use the PC, which is a good thing, because I don't have one. LOL

Thanks again. I appreciate the time and help.
    Last edited by rachaelrant; 05-25-09 at 01:26 PM. Reason: used a wrong word
    05-25-09 01:21 PM
    You don't need them, and they would just take up unnecessary space on your BlackBerry anyway.

05-25-09 01:31 PM
    That was the main thing.

Thanks!
    05-25-09 01:37 PM
    Pick YouMail Visual Voicemail, or VyMail. One or the other. They allow you to view your messages on your phone. If you don't wanna do that, then get rid of them. That's what they do. Nothing else.

You say you understand, but then your answer indicates that you don't. I don't wanna tell you something that you "already know", but I can't figure out what you're not getting.

You keep saying you don't know what the icons do. You only need one, and this is what it does...
    05-25-09 02:06 PM
    Pick YouMail Visual Voicemail, or VyMail. One or the other. They allow you to view your messages on your phone. If you don't wanna do that, then get rid of them. That's what they do. Nothing else.

You say you understand, but then your answer indicates that you don't. I don't wanna tell you something that you "already know", but I can't figure out what you're not getting.

You keep saying you don't know what the icons do. You only need one, and this is what it does...
    You are wrong. I totally understand, I got the information I needed.

Thanks to all.

P.S. Sorry about the confusion over the word "icon." I was trying to differentiate between the application for BlackBerry that puts an icon on the desktop and the actual program itself.

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks again to all for your help.

P.S. Again.

I realize I still didn't say that right. LOL. It doesn't matter if you know what I mean; I know what I mean and my question has been answered.

Thanks.
    Last edited by rachaelrant; 05-25-09 at 02:27 PM. Reason: left something out
    05-25-09 02:13 PM
    Sorry to beat a dead horse but I looked through the posts and I did not see where your questions were answered. Youmail visual voicemail is not a blackberry ap. On my Verizon BB curve the ap seems to be quite useful. The ability to upload all of your contacts to the youmail server allows you to go to youmail.com and assign individual greetings to each contact. It uploaded all 500 of my contacts in a few minutes. The youmail blackberry ap also groups all of your voicemails in one place so you dont have to search through emails. The youmail blackberry application automatically downloads the message so it instantly plays when you click on it. I have not tried vymail but I found some detailed comparisons of the two applications on howard forums. Try searching "youmail vymail"
    05-28-09 03:37 PM
    i have youmail and I don't really understand it. When I get a messege and try to download it to see what it says nothing happen's.
    05-28-09 03:41 PM
    I guess that could happen for a lot of different reasons. I have 3 verizon 8330 curves and it works fine on all three. Are you sure the phone is forwarding to the youmail voicemail and not the verizon voicemail? You did sign up for a youmail account? You entered your pin in the blackberry ap when you were prompted for it? When you set up your account on youmail.com, did you select the youmail for blackberry option. Did you try the "check messages" manually from the youmail blackberry ap? If you did all that and it still does not work, I would suggest completely starting over, maybe you missed something.
    05-28-09 04:41 PM
    Sorry to beat a dead horse but I looked through the posts and I did not see where your questions were answered.
    Well...you missed this part....

You are wrong. I totally understand, I got the information I needed.

Thanks to all.

She gets it.
    05-28-09 05:33 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD