Zeroing in on that important missed call is YouMail's number-one feature.
    (Credit: YouMail)

Since its inception, YouMail, a visual voicemail service for mobile phones, has had one big problem. You could view and play your mobile phone's voicemail messages online, or--beginning lat June--by pointing the mobile browser to YouMail.com, but messages weren't stored on the device itself.

Starting Wednesday, YouMail has begun to change that with a native YouMail in-box for BlackBerry phones. Visual Voicemail Plus is a free downloadable app that stores your incoming voice messages along with the caller's name, number, and time of call.

In addition to viewing and playing messages in any order you'd like, those who have signed up for the free or premium transcription service will be able to read the message content.

Other online features have carried over as well, including interacting with the voice files by downloading, saving, and forwarding them, or posting them to social networks.

The latter has always been the creepiest application, and in my opinion, a misguided attempt to tap into social networking trends. It's true that replaying calls for amusement, blackmail, or punitive action has been a common fate of cell phone messages for much longer than actor Alec Baldwin's damning outburst back in 2007, but why make it so easy to push a private call to the public domain? Let's just hope I'm the only Debbie Downer here envisioning embarrassing abuses of an innocent call.

But back to the app at hand.

While I'll certainly be the first to welcome this native app with open arms, I will point out that it's a bit basic in the design department. We're sure to see more style come to the download in future releases.

The opening of YouMail's API, now in limited beta, means we're sure to see a proliferation of development, including YouMail's porting to other mobile platforms, and to other apps and widgets as a plug-in.

For now YouMail's Visual Voicemail Plus application will work on the BlackBerry Pearl, Curve, Bold, and Storm running version 4.3 or higher of the operating system, and only if you're with Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile carriers. New users can sign up for a free account from the Visual Voicemail Plus interface or online.

The above info was copied & pasted from
    Code:
    http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20090203/YouMail_BlackBery_transcription_270x196.png
    02-04-09 02:22 AM
    that's cool, I've been using this w/ joekr's vymail and it's been working pretty good, maybe this will be useful to all those who are unable to use that.
    02-04-09 03:15 AM
    Go to m.youmail.com/ota from your BB.
    02-04-09 06:24 AM
    Can anyone compare this to VY mail? Are there any benefits to switching over? I am very happy with VY mail, but if this offers anything different i might switch.
    02-04-09 07:38 AM
    I just started using it and like that it is a youmail app. I like the vymail app too, but this is what I will stick with until it has an issue, then I will switch back.
    02-04-09 07:42 AM
    That is one ugly icon.

Many of the menu options in the app are cut off and poorly rendered as well. Might not be perfectly optimized for the 8900 and its resolution.
    02-04-09 10:35 AM

For now YouMail's Visual Voicemail Plus application will work on the BlackBerry Pearl, Curve, Bold, and Storm running version 4.3 or higher of the operating system, and only if you're with Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile carriers. New users can sign up for a free account from the Visual Voicemail Plus interface or online.

I think there is an error here: I tried to use this--being simple and better than the vymail--however, i cannot hear the attached mp3s and the youmail website specifies that it cannot be used with Storm. . .which is what I have.
    Last edited by Ryan1331; 02-04-09 at 08:34 PM. Reason: using up too much of quote. . .new at this.
    02-04-09 08:32 PM
    i tested it many times today. It sent 2 msgs to the app and then after that, nothing! No matter how many times I tried to "get messeges." The thing just doesnt work! I get errors and uncaught exceptions when a call comes from a business that only renders #s in 3 t 5 digits only. The thing is FLAWED!
    02-04-09 10:15 PM
    I did not like this app; I prefer to use VyMail.

The YouMail app does not allow for playback of messages via speakerphone as with VyMail.
    02-04-09 10:22 PM
    not a whole lot of ringing endorsements

claire
    02-04-09 11:09 PM
    updated version of the app is available. once you open the app, it should prompt you. im downloading it right now, so not sure what it fixes.

EDIT: i have the 8220 and there was no changes that were notable. it only went up from .3 to .4 i think in the app version. still looked the same, same menu, etc. pretty plain on the 8220.
    Last edited by conceptv; 02-05-09 at 06:01 AM.
    02-05-09 05:49 AM
    VYmail was an easier bet
    02-05-09 06:28 AM
    I went back to VyMail...couldnt get youmail to play thru my speakerphone...
    02-05-09 06:49 AM
    It it a free service or is there a monthly fee??
    02-05-09 05:39 PM
    It is a free service.
    02-06-09 06:14 AM
    i too have went back to vymail. i really like that youmail came out with a native BB app, but it didnt work for me. whenever i try to play a voicemail, it doesnt work. it dont load, it only loads the menu and ask to upload contacts or check for new messages. it doesnt give me any options to play the message. it downloads fine though, just cant access it.

vymail on the other hand has been working fine and no problems.
    02-06-09 06:17 AM
    Just another quick heads up, I noticed after installing this app (or the update, since I did them back to back) my gmail suddenly started acting up... some emails not being pushed, and the ones that are take a while to show up. I uninstalled the app and now everything seems fine.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
    02-06-09 11:31 AM
    i too have went back to vymail. i really like that youmail came out with a native BB app, but it didnt work for me. whenever i try to play a voicemail, it doesnt work. it dont load, it only loads the menu and ask to upload contacts or check for new messages. it doesnt give me any options to play the message. it downloads fine though, just cant access it.

vymail on the other hand has been working fine and no problems.
    Are you using a STORM? This is the same problems i was having and found out that this is not supported on the STORM yet.
    02-06-09 12:00 PM
    i have noticed something. I entered my password for syncing with the app and forgot to hit alt for #s instead of letters so I must of gotten my password wrong. It looks like it went thru anyway and I got no messages but all the texts saying that I have a VM. Since theres no way to see if ur sync'd with ur web mail account or change it, I deleted the app and reinstalled it, made sure I carefully sign on properly. then I went back on the website to make sure that little bubble icon that says they received a call from me was green to verify that its sync'd with my phone. so far its workin ok. lets see how it goes...
    02-06-09 07:29 PM
    i must be missing something. i thought VyMail was an app for youmail. not a stand alone app. i use VyMail with youmail and it works great.
    02-07-09 09:36 AM
    i was going to get this app but based on the reviews i think i will skip. thanks!
    02-08-09 08:41 AM
    I discovered a major error specific to the bb app. When a phone number comes in, such as a business, where the number is shielded, sometimes coming in only as 3 to 5 digits, when the app tries to get mail box, "uncaught exception" will pop up saying cannot format number, In my case 50854. At this point, the app becomes useless and closes everytime.

I deleted the app, reinstalled it and tried it again from my office phone... same exact thing! I sent youmail an e-mail concerning the flaw and am awaiting. But as of now, if it happens you get a call like this, your youmail app will have to be deleted entirely so BEWARE!!!
    02-08-09 12:57 PM
    Couple of things I must add as my opinion of youmail. The customer service sucks and I mean really sucks. I downloaded the blackberry application from youmail over a week ago. I have a bold, I am on the ATT network and I am running OS .219. All of the above qualifies for me being able to work the program troublefree from my device. I was able to bypass the log in errors to finally being able to download my contacts which is a process that continues and never stop. I assumed that this was because my contact database was extremely large. When I select check for messages, it appears to be doing just that but I never receive any messages to the application. I am receiving messages to Vymail app. though. I have left 4 voicemail messages NONE of which have been returned by Youmail support center. I have spoken to several people all of which who have been absolutely clueless and promises to follow up taking my cell. phone number, and email HOWEVER I never receive a response. Is there anyone that has successfully installed the application on the bold, being on ATT running the min. version required that is receiving their messages to the Blackberry Application? Maybe you can become a contracted support tech. for Yourmail because whoever answers the customer support center line is absolutely clueless!! FRUSTRATED TO THE MAX....
    02-11-09 05:44 PM
    i was going to get this app but based on the reviews i think i will skip. thanks!
    I agree with Joannamichelle. I'm sticking to Vymail for now. No complaints with it on my 8900, so I'm not switching over until there's a really good reason to.
    02-21-09 11:22 PM
    Hello I have been useing this app since it came out and since the last up date !!! Love it work's Great And Free $$$ for Verizon Same thing Much Better = Free
    02-23-09 10:52 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD