Are you as annoyed as I am that random apps get "pushed" to your device that you did not ask for or want?

For the past couple of weeks my carrier has been "pushing" Skype, NFL Mobile, and Backup Assistant to my device without my permission. Calls to the support line yielded no help at all. However during the most recent call the support person used the word "push" saying "We push these apps to peoples phones..." and I remembered seeing that item in the "options" menu under "Advanced options."

My device is a Storm 9530. The other Blackberry devices have a similar Option->Advanced Options->Browser Push menu structure. To turn off this annoyance, go to Browser Push and uncheck the "Enable" box.

Now I can see I might have a use for Skype in the future, but I don't need a Backup Assistant as I synchronize my device several times a day and do a backup at least once a week, but NFL? Don't even get me started. To my carrier: you may suggest certain apps via email or text message, but don't ever force them on me, especially when you (or RIM) are apparently unable to give me the capability to allocate any amount of device memory to applications.
    05-28-10 07:25 AM
    There are many threads on this. They don't push the actual app; just a tiny launcher so you can get the app if you choose. The best thing to do is to hide the icon and forget about it.
    05-28-10 07:37 AM
    Not annoyed. i just stick the launchers in a hidden Junk folder. When we signed up for VZW service we agreed to the terms and this was one of them. Would be nice to have an opt in/out feature though. There isn't. If it annoyed me very much i'd switch carriers. i'm not sure there are any carriers that *dont push apps however.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/sof...-my-bb-466664/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f73/app...-phone-463937/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/t-g...ontent-437007/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-10 07:39 AM
    It doesn't happen often, but yea it annoys me when it does. I hate spam of any type. The carrier should provide an opt-out option, imo.

05-28-10 07:40 AM
    More annoying than app links; threads about 'pushed applications eating up device memory'.
    05-28-10 07:48 AM
    These are all good ideas and information. Thank you. Sometimes when I get the "terms of service or use" and I read them, I either don't remember what the terms are, what they mean, or I don't think it will be an issue. I didn't think memory allocation would be an issue either but it is. I just turned "push" off an much prefer that to sticking junk in a junk folder. I think most people who get spam would prefer not to get it rather than have to worry about getting it to a spam folder. And yes, I know technically "push" is not spam because I agreed to it when signing up for service. As a business owner, I don't feel I should have to constantly be figuring out "workarounds" to things that annoy me about the service. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have signed up just due to the memory allocation problem.
    05-28-10 07:48 AM
    These are all good ideas and information. Thank you. Sometimes when I get the "terms of service or use" and I read them, I either don't remember what the terms are, what they mean, or I don't think it will be an issue. I didn't think memory allocation would be an issue either but it is. I just turned "push" off an much prefer that to sticking junk in a junk folder. I think most people who get spam would prefer not to get it rather than have to worry about getting it to a spam folder. And yes, I know technically "push" is not spam because I agreed to it when signing up for service. As a business owner, I don't feel I should have to constantly be figuring out "workarounds" to things that annoy me about the service. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have signed up just due to the memory allocation problem.

The vpls don't have a measurable impact on memory availability on tour device. I look at them as a way for my carrier to add positive value to my BlackBerry experience. I can choose to install them or not - and some of them are valuable. You cannot blame any of your devices performance issues on the vpls. Frankly, worrying about it is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

05-28-10 07:55 AM
    I'm always amused by the amount of people who defend the carriers' "right" to force this stuff. Even if it's their "right" according to the contracts, their failure to accommodate all customers by including an opt-out provision simply builds resentment and ill will. One can be "right" 100% of the time, but he probably won't have many friends.

Last edited by Tõnis; 05-28-10 at 07:59 AM.
    05-28-10 07:56 AM
    Not annoyed at all. I hide all of the icons and forget about them. I have bigger things to worry about.

05-28-10 07:58 AM
    Well, if many people were truly annoyed by it, and let the carrier know by either canceling service or not signing up for service, the carrier may change their policy. Complaining about it while still paying for service and accepting the TOS does nothing to change policy. It's a business. The business will change depending on customer demand.

05-28-10 07:59 AM
    Wow... if that was the case then phones should just be bare bone, and I mean NOTHING on the phone. Cause how does rim and the carriers know what the customers will actually use? Why install a calculator if no one is going to use it? Why install anything knowing that people may not use it?

sdmcwilliams said it perfectly... way bigger things to worry about lol...

I will say one thing though, its pretty annoying have a sample mp3 that can't be erased (for good). Whoever decided to put that there is an id!ot.
    05-28-10 08:38 AM
    Well, if many people were truly annoyed by it, and let the carrier know by either canceling service or not signing up for service, the carrier may change their policy. Complaining about it while still paying for service and accepting the TOS does nothing to change policy. It's a business. The business will change depending on customer demand.
    Problem there is that EVERY carrier pushes all this worthless garbage. You can't leave a carrier and tell them it's because they forced you to receive content you did not want because they know you can't go anywhere else and NOT have similar garbage forced upon you. It really is a no-win situation.

And to the op - turning browser push off isn't going to help at all, that has nothing to do with the carrier pushed loaders.
    05-28-10 08:53 AM
    I actually like when they push launchers up to my phone. At least then I know that someone out there knows that I exist.
    05-28-10 12:12 PM
    Yeah, annoys the crap outta me. It's just another flavor of spam with no opt out.
    05-28-10 12:46 PM
    Doesn't annoy me. I'm using their bandwith so they can push whatever they want.
    I'm sure it's somewhere in the contract.
    05-28-10 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD