04-05-10 06:17 AM
56 123
tools
    I think we might need to delete our whole inbox to clear the addys.. i dunno. im not sure how it works

It obviously reads the mailbox you register with
    It is a bug that is limiting us to one account of indexing. It is related to only selected carriers and how they have some settings that are hiding certain accounts from us. We have a fix coming on that.

As far as "deleting" certain contacts, that is not part of the plan on the product. But unimportant contacts should not appear, as their rank should make them fall to the bottom. If they are not people, like we sometimes see, we need to add a "hide, this is not a person" feature. I will get that request in to the product team shortly. It is obviously a need.
    03-17-10 08:47 PM
    I think we might need to delete our whole inbox to clear the addys.. i dunno. im not sure how it works

It obviously reads the mailbox you register with
    I responded to this message down at the bottom (forgot to quote your message, I think). I love the idea of an option to say "This is not a person" (good for emails like status at company dot com) or "hide contact". I have submit it to the product feature log, and we might be able to get this into the next release (1-2 weeks away).

Jeff Bonforte
    CEO, Xobni
    03-17-10 08:52 PM
    *** I have the Storm 9530 version so things might be different if you're on a different device. I'm not sure... ***

REPLIES IN-LINE [jeff bonforte, ceo, xobni]

Damn... I took Adam's word for it and purchased the app. After 30 minutes of use, I'm already trying to request a refund.

1. Each time you reboot, you are asked to sign-in. No big deal but it already saves my email address and my password. What's the point of asking me to push the big purple button that says Sign In? If it's for security reasons, password shouldn't even be saved. If somebody was to steal my phone, they can just hit "Sign In" and still have access to my data in Xobni.

<Very annoying, fix coming>

2. After a battery pull, Xobni loads the contacts again. This takes about 10 mintues (I have more than 2,000 contacts) and the app can't be used until this is finished. I do a battery pull maybe twice a day. Once in the morning and another one in mid-afternoon because I have to replace my battery. They advertise as the SMARTEST ADDRESS BOOK but if the app forgets everything after a battery pull, I wouldn't say SMARTEST. * It looks like Xobni reloads all the contacts when the app is closed and restarted. I just exited the app and restarted the app without doing a battery pull in between and it's loading all the contacts again. *

<bug affecting some. fix coming. sorry about that.>

3. No way to sort the contacts the way I want.

There is a great way to sort them. Search. At any time, just type the first, last or company name of anyone you want to see and you will get a ranked list of people. Imagine you will have 4000 contacts (that was the founding assumption of how this app works), sort wouldn't make sense. Instead, you would want to use search to find the person or people you need. In the future, we will greatly expand search terms you can use to list results, like "today" who would show you a ranked list of people you are dealing with in your inbox, phone and calendar today.

4. I'm not sure if the app gets previous data (prior to the app being installed) but it doesn't seem like it. I have at least 20 SMS messages from a contact but Xobni thinks I have no activity for that person. Same thing with call log. If that's the case, I don't know why Xobni needs to go through the call log in order to gather data.

We can only get what is on the device on the email side. We are not allowed to get your call log or your SMS log historically, only going forward. That is a restriction from RIM. We are working with them now to get beyond this. We agree it is annoying. Same is true of the iPhone, actually. If you use Outlook, pairing up Xobni on Outlook with Xobni One would get you a massive history (in my case, about 6 years of email...or over 9,000 contacts all ranked and relationship ID'd).

5. Upon clicking on a contact to view the info, when I hit the back button, I'm back to the top of my list. I know the search should be used but sometimes I like to go through my contacts one by one and delete/edit if necessary.

I have posted many times that "delete" is not a concept we support. Every person, even if you don't view them, is related to someone else in your Xobni people list. That relationship is part of what defines your relationship. So managing your address book is an old concept related to a world where space was finite (paper and pencil). The web has tons of old content. But because you aren't searching for it, it doesn't bother you that it is there. That is how we think of your relationships. They exist. Some may be light (one time contact) and some may be old, but if they don't get in the way, there should be no reason to manage them. Our search bar should pull from a list of thousands of people exactly the person you need at any time.

6. Probably a minor bug but the options doesn't seem to save. When I change the font size and hit SAVE, nothing changes and when I go back to the option, I'm back to the default settings. I unmarked all the boxes and hit save. When I go back into the options, nothing seems to be saved.

<BUG>. Fix is coming soon. I think I saw it in the submit log today, so should deploy to users soon. It is a bug affecting a subset of users. Sorry about that.

7. I don't know what is going on but something funny happens when I have Xobni running. I have MeterBerry and it displays the available app memory on my desktop. I usually boot up at around 15 MB free and fluctuate between 10 to 15 MB. When I have Xobni running, my available memory goes up to 40 MB. Not really a bad thing but I would like an explanation of what's going on. Is Xobni deleting things off my Blackberry?

Hmmm. Will need to check with engineers on this one. The answer about deleting things is, "No". We don't delete things. But I don't have a good explanation for your question about the changes in memory.

8. From Xobni website: "Xobni gives you access to all your contacts where you need them most: the BlackBerry compose screen. If you're in the middle of writing a message, and you need to access your Xobni contacts, just flick the trackball/pad up. You can search and add multiple contacts to an email, simply by clicking their names. Once you've added everyone you want, just hit the Back button on your BlackBerry to get back to your email message." <- This function doesn't seem to work for me.

Hmmmm. Compose an email. You should see the Xobni bar at the top of the email. "flick up" and Xobni should drop down quickly on top of the compose window. You can add people and then jump back to the compose window. The first time you flick up after a reboot, it may take a second or two. After that, it should drop down almost immediately. For hard to explain reasons, this feature doesn't work in FWD and RE to emails. Will support this soon. Relates to a bug with 4.6.02 to 5.0.2 OS on selected hardware.

I'm sure I can find more things to say about Xobni but if somebody asked me, I'd definitely tell them to hold off on spending $10 for this app. Maybe later but not yet...

If you aren't happy, we can refund your money. Or you can just stick with us for a few weeks while we take care of these issues one by one. Thanks for your support. It means a lot to us.

(I certainly hope that the developer sees this thread and would love their feedback.)

Jeff Bonforte
    CEO, Xobni
    03-17-10 09:06 PM
    Ugh. Wish I'd read this thread before I purchased it. Currently adding my contacts, so I'll post again with functionality ******** / praising.

EDIT: Already hating the fact that I'm my own number 1 contact because I emailed a few things from my work email account to my home email account in the last few days. >_<
    We have a fix coming to that phone number extraction problem you highlight. Sorry about that. It is a bug.
    03-17-10 09:07 PM
    I have to agree that this is pretty disappointing. The fact that you can't delete (or at least hide) contacts from appearing really takes away from it.

Not worth the 10 spot in my opinion.
    We have some thoughts on how to incorporate "hide" in a near term update. If you are unhappy, however, just head to our support and they will refund your money.

Jeff Bonforte
    CEO, Xobni
    03-17-10 09:09 PM
    yep... should have read this thread first, also. Having all the same issues everyone else is having. Really annoying. And I have 5 email addresses on my BB. It only pulls info from the one you signed up with. Also the social networking integration is a joke. It only pulls PUBLIC profile info. So if your contacts have their facebooks or linkedins set to private - you get no info at all. Just a picture (if you're lucky).

Also - it only gives you the option for facbook or linkedin even though the flashy BB Bold animation shows much more including twitter. And the UI is different from that vid - which also pissed me off.

I'm mad.
    I think I got your issues in the comments of the post, but just for the benefits of others.

We have found the bug that is limiting our indexing of your emails to one account. It is a carrier setting error that is hiding some email accounts from us. We have a work around coming.

Otherwise, if you are still unhappy (this goes to all of you), just ask our support team for a refund. We don't want unhappy customers...bad for business. Otherwise, we appreciate your feedback and support and we will rollout updates and bug fixes quickly in the coming days (and in some cases weeks).

Jeff Bonforte
    CEO, Xobni
    03-17-10 09:11 PM
    I loaded this based on Adam's reccommendation.
    After reading all of this I am scared as **** to even run it. It seesm that maybe this should still be Beta as Jeff does address each issue but the answer is a lot of sixes still in the works.
    Maybe next time before I buy a 10 dollar app which is a LOT for an app, Ill ask for a trial or do more research.
    Ill try it for a day and after Ill post my thoughts here and to Xobnis support to be fair.
    If indeed it is a brick, Ill also ask for a refund.
    It is good to see a company responding to the forums but maybe the comments noted so far could lead to a 3 day trial or an acknowledgement of it still being partially BETA.

[email protected]
    03-17-10 10:00 PM
    I loaded this based on Adam's reccommendation.
    After reading all of this I am scared as **** to even run it. It seems that maybe this should still be Beta as Jeff does address each issue but the answer is a lot of fixes still in the works.
    Maybe next time before I buy a 10 dollar app which is a LOT for an app, Ill ask for a trial or do more research.
    Ill try it for a day or two now as I already paid, and after Ill post my thoughts here and to Xobnis support to be fair.
    If indeed it is a brick, Ill also ask for a refund.
    It is good to see a company responding to the forums but maybe the comments noted so far could lead to a 3 day trial or an acknowledgement of it still being partially BETA.

[email protected]
    03-17-10 10:01 PM
    The ranking should definitely not under-rate a 10x contact vs. a 1x contact. That is either a bug, or it is just not done indexing.

Also, for now, our ranking algorithm heavily weights email (partly because of our roots, and partly because of how we mine data from email). We are working on updating the ranking algo for the BlackBerry stand alone users (vs. Xobni One + BB app). That would help us come up with a more logical ranking algo.

We would love your input in our community forum on this topic. You will find a link from our home page (support).

If you are unhappy as a customer, please visit our support. We will either make you happy, or give you a refund. No issues.

Jeff Bonforte
    CEO, Xobni
    Thanks for your reply. I will check out the community forum on your website.

To add further to my indexing problem. I have had it installed since yesterday and today I received an email from one of my contacts that was sent to about 40 people.

Now, most of those 40 people are listed in the top of my list and I assuming they are ranked higher since it is at top. The problem is that out of those 40 email addresses only two are in my contact list. The rest are not.

It appears the index is not working or not working as it should.
    03-17-10 10:02 PM
    Do you plan on extracting private profile info from facebook and Linkedin ?
    Most people have their facebook set to private...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-10 10:03 AM
    I sent a refund request yesterday but havnt had a reply yet!

03-18-10 12:31 PM
    after using it for 1 day, i straightaway can say it is useless software and i feel like being ripped off for $10. It is totally not a smart address book...or i can say it is just a dumb address book...

problems..
    1) Cant login if no WIFI..even already setup proper APN

2) Every time device reset or close have to login again for address book? and it took very long for loading contact, email add, sms log, etc.
    and every time login, it seem the program ask again the setting for storing contact...

3) Facebook/Linkedin only link pic profile, no other info, and sometimes doesnt work. Depend on your luck! and everytime have to click on the facebook icon to see pic profile.

4) All junk mail contacts will be inside the list, worst it is on top list.

5) SMS, phone, email link doesnt work..just got button for decor only?

6) Will make your BB slow.

7) Cant edit profile and contact, cant even delete junk email address. So, it mean you have to update your native BB address book in order to update phone number/info.

8) limited option setting..and wont save setting in normal mode.

the only good thing is xobni allow to select multiple contact for email.

Later i would request a refund from them, since paying $10 for this program is not worth my dollar..
    03-18-10 12:57 PM
    I was considering getting Xobni, but I have never seen an app get so many negative reviews before. Actually, I have yet to read a positive one!
    03-18-10 03:38 PM
    10 Bucks to be a product tester.... think i'll give this one a miss as it sounds very up and down for users.. again if there was a trial maybe i would see what i was missing but with a thread full of issues this is not for me.

i'm also shocked at how a blog recommendation can cause so many people to just go out and buy an app...
    Last edited by montage; 03-18-10 at 04:03 PM.
    03-18-10 03:59 PM
    I was Beta Testing Xobni since a while when it was still in official Beta Stage. Actually i was wondering that it got released already because it is a truly unfinished product which should be considered ALPHA instead of BETA and isn't ready to be released to the Customer. Some more Beta testing still is reqired but not with paying customers.
    03-18-10 10:23 PM
    Hey everyone -
    Just wanted to jump in and let you know what we're working on:
    1. Fixing the Login issues w/ device APN settings - this is forcing some folks to only be able login via wifi.
    2. Saving user options - this will also rectify issues you might be having with logging in each time the app launches
    3. Indexing multiple email accounts - currently we only index the main inbox.
    4. Allowing you to hide contacts

These fixes are coming VERY soon. We're testing many of them right now.

I echo our CEO's sentiments wholeheartedly, if you don't like the app please submit a support ticket at xobni.com/support and request a refund. We truly want all of our customers to be happy ones.

We're listening to you loud and clear and are adding improvements to the app as fast as we can.

thanks
    Mike

Mobile PM for Xobni
    03-19-10 01:24 AM
    I have the app and while it's not ready for primetime on the bb, the support is outstanding. I have a lot of issues with it on my S2 and they are picking them off one at a time. It's pretty obvious to me these guys care about this product and i'm sure that, in time, this will be a great app.
    I have the free version on Outlook and it's simply fantastic. I'm not too crazy about ponying up a monthly fee for any app personally. So, i would like to see a one time pricing structure with a small fee for major upgrades.....
    03-19-10 07:05 PM
    Hey everyone -
    Just wanted to jump in and let you know what we're working on:
    1. Fixing the Login issues w/ device APN settings - this is forcing some folks to only be able login via wifi.
    2. Saving user options - this will also rectify issues you might be having with logging in each time the app launches
    3. Indexing multiple email accounts - currently we only index the main inbox.
    4. Allowing you to hide contacts

These fixes are coming VERY soon. We're testing many of them right now.

I echo our CEO's sentiments wholeheartedly, if you don't like the app please submit a support ticket at xobni.com/support and request a refund. We truly want all of our customers to be happy ones.

We're listening to you loud and clear and are adding improvements to the app as fast as we can.

thanks
    Mike

Mobile PM for Xobni
    Hi all,

I am very happy to announce that we just released a fix for points 1,2, and 4 listed above! It also includes support for Truetype. Please point your browser to the following location to update:

bb.xobni.com

We are working hard to get the multiple email accounts fixed and released ASAP!

Thank you all for your patience and understanding with this! We really appreciate the feedback. As Jeff already made sure, we will be happy to refund you if you are not happy with the product.

Eirik
    Manager, Xobni Support
    Last edited by xobni_support; 03-21-10 at 02:43 PM.
    03-21-10 02:16 PM
    Talk about releasing a buggy beta product and funding bug fixes with proceeds from sales! Very poor sales practices IMO. Glad I never went with this.

03-21-10 02:26 PM
    Your algorithme to determine which contact should be at the top of the list only take into account email ?
    I have a contact that i sms and call a lot but this contact is still last in my list.

03-21-10 04:33 PM
    Ouch. Looks like waiting a while to push this out to the general public would have been a good idea, Xobni. I hope this much bad word-of-mouth isn't more than you can recover from.

Thanks for saving me a ten spot, CrackBerry nation. At least for now.

Last edited by digitalb0y; 03-22-10 at 02:41 AM.
    03-22-10 02:35 AM
    Your algorithme to determine which contact should be at the top of the list only take into account email ?
    I have a contact that i sms and call a lot but this contact is still last in my list.

i also think how contacts are ranked shouldnt onbly be by email.....it SHOULD also include sms and calls.....which is the whole purpose of why a contact should be ranked number 1 which should be the most contacted in all ways.
    03-22-10 05:12 PM
    Xobni, seems to be affecting my Blackberry messenger messages. They do not show up in the SMS folder anymore. If remove the program. My messages return to the SMS folder. I don't think the program was set up see the BBM messages. It makes the use of Blackberry messenger very difficult. Has anyone else seen this problem?
    03-23-10 01:21 PM
    Not with Xobni.
    Do your contact have their pin associated in your adress book ?
    03-23-10 01:31 PM
    Yep me too...I actually just realize this as well.....

03-23-10 01:34 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD