Hello all, I just thought I'd let you in on a little info that I have uncovered about a little program called Xberry Live.

Most of us have heard about this program, it lets us see our Xbox Live friends list. When it was first announced last year, this app was free. You had the option of donating, but apparently no one was. After a couple months, the author of the program said that the app could no longer be serviced or updated due to hosting or server costs. Too many people were downloading it and not enough money was coming in.

He then decided to let anyone that donated $5 or more use the program. All you had to do was send him your Paypal transaction info and your PIN, and you would be on your way to using the app.

A couple months passed and the app started to not work anymore. It was erratic at times, and finally quit working. I sent an email to see if there was something that could be done, and there was no response. The author of this program still accepts donations on his website, but it seems as though he is not supporting or updating it. I was frustrated so I left a comment letting people know that they should ask a few questions before donating the money. He deleted my comments and my friends comments (who had the same problem), both of us having no support.

It may seem like I'm jumping to conclusions, but I just thought I'd give a warning out to those contemplating on donating for this app. If anyone else has had problems with this app, please leave a post. Thank you for listening.
    Last edited by MasonGraphics; 05-24-09 at 09:27 PM.
    05-23-09 08:49 PM
    That's the problem with server based apps. If the server goes down/is discontinued it no longer works.

Even worse he's an individual, meaning the server isn't likely to stay up for long.

He doesn't have to keep the server running and doesn't have to provide support. So yeah, the most you can do is spread the word. This app was doomed eventually anyways.
    05-23-09 09:03 PM
    Yes, I agree 100% Papped. I urge everyone to spread the word otherwise this guy is going to get away with this.
    05-23-09 09:17 PM
    Im with everyone. he did the same crap to me.
    05-23-09 09:37 PM
    good lookin out. I was contemplating getting this app
    05-23-09 09:53 PM
    Have an idea. Send this as a tip to berryreview, they'll prolly put it as an article

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 10:01 PM
    Have an idea. Send this as a tip to berryreview, they'll prolly put it as an article

Just sent the tip in, thank you for recommending that.
    05-23-09 10:18 PM
    Dang, I had had it installed on my Curve when he wasn't charging for it but a lot of times I couldn't get it to update so I just deleted it. Glad I didn't purchase it. Thanks for the heads up....
    05-24-09 03:09 AM
    Do you think there is any way to get this stickied so it doesn't fall to the bottom of the list? I'd really like to raise awareness because I really hate seeing people ripped off. Especially in this economy.
    05-24-09 09:19 PM
    If you have paid on paypal you can file a report against him and get your money back.
    Takes like a week. They give him time to respond and fix the issue. If not you get your money back.

05-25-09 10:51 AM
    If you have paid on paypal you can file a report against him and get your money back.
    Takes like a week. They give him time to respond and fix the issue. If not you get your money back.

Doubt it. From what it sounds like he didn't actually buy anything. He made a donation to an individual (a "tip jar").

Sorry, but unless you had something in writing stating that the individual agreed to continue updating the code for x amount of time, you're out of luck.
    05-25-09 12:26 PM
    That sucks I really feel bad 4 the ppl who got ripped off !
    Tht's y I dnt take the risk of spendin' my money online , unless it's on somewhere SO trusted n known

05-25-09 04:06 PM
    Doubt it. From what it sounds like he didn't actually buy anything. He made a donation to an individual (a "tip jar").

Sorry, but unless you had something in writing stating that the individual agreed to continue updating the code for x amount of time, you're out of luck.
    I'm afraid you're right, but I'm not really worried about the money. I'm more worried about the people that aren't aware that this is happening. Why make a donation to a service that isn't running? And there really is no way to tell them because he will not allow anything slanderous to be posted on his page. The only way to raise awareness is by posting it on mainstream and user based Blackberry forums.
    05-28-09 09:43 PM
    I'm afraid you're right, but I'm not really worried about the money. I'm more worried about the people that aren't aware that this is happening. Why make a donation to a service that isn't running? And there really is no way to tell them because he will not allow anything slanderous to be posted on his page. The only way to raise awareness is by posting it on mainstream and user based Blackberry forums.
    Well, I for one have donated $10 to Juan (Developer of Xberry Live) and have personally emailed him several times directly following my donation. He seems like a good guy that's just in a money bind right now. Granted I don't know a lot of circumstances, like how much money it really takes to maintain the app's server, but for right now the app is working flawlessly for me.

I have had the app for about a week now and it updates every time I press "Update". It even can update something I did in under 5 minutes. So far, I am getting my money's worth with this app, and I again for one, do not think that this is a scam. Not to discourage other people's stories, it's just that this app has been working for me very well.

Anyways, that's my $0.02.
    06-11-09 02:19 AM
    did the same i donated 2.50$ and then 3 months later didnt work
    06-11-09 02:37 AM
    It's working perfect for me....
    06-11-09 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD