Call me crazy but I went to bed and my homescreen was normal. Woke up and right below my primary email (my first icon) was an 'F' icon for a Facebook application.

I don't want this app nor have I ever accessed Facebook from my phone. How is it possible that this was installed without my authorization?

I am not going to even launch the app until I hear if anyone else has had this happen to them. Ultimately I'll be deleting it.
    01-22-09 07:34 AM
    I found it on mine as well after upgrading OS

did you by chance just do an upgrade or anything? it is just the icon to the link to download the program. it does no harm, you can always hide the icon.
    01-22-09 07:46 AM
    I have it on my TMO 8320. If it doesn't show up in the applications list to be deleted, then it comes in a service book. Your options would be to hide the icon, or delete the service book. However, it will reappear the next time service books are sent.
    01-22-09 07:50 AM
    I haven't done an upgrade since I first got my phone, although my phone is set to power down and back up again from 4A to 4:10A.

How would Facebook be able to do this? Seems like bloatware to me, post-purchase no less...not to mention if their app could sneak by, who knows what else could.

I'm not so much worried about the app itself, just preventing such unauthorized downloads and installations from happening in the future.
    01-22-09 07:52 AM
    WNM is correct, as long as you do not install the Facebook application you are fine. The best you can do is hide the icon, it will not be using any memory as long as the application is not installed...
    01-22-09 07:52 AM
    These are pushed by your carrier. I got Myspace, AIM, and ICQ yesterday after a reboot. I just deleted the service book (even though it will come back) just to give my self some satisfaction of it being gone.
    01-22-09 08:11 AM
    Its not unauthorized lol. Its just icons pushed by your carrier best thing to do is hide them like everyone else said
    01-22-09 08:28 AM
    It is an icon inviting you to download the application. It isn't the application itself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 08:37 AM
    It is an icon inviting you to download the application. It isn't the application itself.

Thanks for all the info/feedback everyone. Verizon!!!!!!!!!
    01-22-09 01:10 PM
    Right there with ya! I looked down and saw the F I was like WTF?! Why do carriers push this $hit?! If I wanted it I would download it.

*Grumble grumble*
    01-29-09 03:04 PM
    They do it becuase they make money sending it to you. Pr0bably only a penny for each one they send but just think what 17 million pennies is worth.
    01-29-09 03:09 PM
    it's very frustrating. i can understand bloatware, but to force things up someone POST-purchase is just absurd.
    01-29-09 03:20 PM
    I went to my mothers a few nights ago and she asked for some help with using her GPS on her new Verizon curve. I noticed the facebook icon on there and asked her if she used facebook and she said no. I asked her if she installed it and she said no. Anyways, yeah it irritated me and it wasn't even my phone.

01-29-09 03:27 PM
    dude i had the same thing this morning!! but then again i updated my desktop to 4.5
    01-29-09 03:54 PM
    It's a pushed link from your provider that takes you directly to the download page for the app...just hide it, it takes up an insignificant amount of memory. It came through with your service books when the latest batch was sent out by your service provider...annoying that they can do it, but relatively harmless.
    01-29-09 04:25 PM
    How do you hide the icon?
    01-29-09 04:34 PM
    Move your trackball over the icon, then press the button with the BlackBerry logo on it, one of the options will be "Hide" (usually second one down ) this will hide the icon for you.

01-29-09 09:15 PM
    Cool... Thanks
    01-29-09 09:53 PM
    No Prob...we ALL started somewhere! 8)
    01-31-09 01:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD