Sorry about the confusing title, it's because I have 2 questions. I think they also relate to BBM.

Okay so I don't have my BB yet, it's in the post. However I was looking through apps and saw on the WLM app it states "A wireless data service plan from your wireless service provider" under the requirements. What does this mean? (I know, I'm a dunce).

At the moment I'm on a University campus so have no wifi coverage in my actual room. Will I be able to use WLM (and also BBM) not on wifi? (I have an "unlimited" (1gb) data plan with my carrier).

Second question is, I have wifi coverage across most of campus (when not in room), does this fulfill the requirements to use WLM (and BBM).

Sorry, I'm totally not clued up as it's my first smartphone!

Thanks in advance for any help.
    11-18-09 11:04 AM
    Anyone? Sorry for the bump. I tried googling but I don't know how to word it since it's quite a silly question!
    11-18-09 01:03 PM
    It simply means you need a data package, which you do. (Your 1GB package)

WLM will use your 1GB data package over the wireless network, but if your connected to WiFi, it will use that instead.. All data connections will go through WiFi if it's connected, when it's not connected it will fall back on the wireless network. This applies to all data apps like WLM and BBM. Either way your good to go!

When I'm at my cottage, I have a weak GSM signal, so to prevent the battery from draining, I actually turn off my wireless network connection and just use my WiFi, all my data still works, BBM, WLM, Email, Web Browsing, all that fun stuff.
    11-18-09 01:21 PM
    Thanks for the reply, that's a relief. Was slightly worried I wouldn't be able to use any of the fun stuff from my room!

Also, bit of a tedious question but - does 1gb generally go far even with frequent use of BBM and WLM? And, is there a way I can see how much data use I've used already, or will that be done via my carrier? (T-Mobile UK).

Thanks again for the reply
    11-18-09 01:27 PM
    I used to have a 6GB data package and I only had that because when we did severe weather coverage in storms where we couldn't get a satellite up-link through the clouds, we would use Skype by tethering my phone to a PC. We only used about 1GB for that type of situation and that's probably the most intense level of data usage you could possibly do.

Now, I have a 1GB data plan, and have about 40 BBM contacts, and I'm always signed into WLM, always chatting on both platforms through out the day. I get about 100+ emails a day via 3 email accounts, with about 20 of those having attachments, and I get by just fine with my 1GB data plan. I also stream Sirius to my phone every couple of days. Never gone over my 1GB plan.

The joy about BlackBerry is that they communicate directly to the BIS server, which compresses data both ways, where as devices like the iPhone doesn't compress the data, which leads to higher data transmission and higher data usage.

Very long story short, you should be more then okay with your 1GB data plan, especially if your just using WLM, BBM and possibly email / web surfing. When you use WiFi, your not using up any of your data package, so if your on WiFi, feel free to hit up YouTube, listen to online radio, anything you can fancy.

Also, you should be able to log into your carriers website and check your data usage. Call T-Mobile and ask them to help you out in that regard.

If you have any other questions, feel free to add me on BBM!
    11-18-09 01:41 PM
    Thank you very much, you've been very helpful!
    11-18-09 01:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD