Saw a cool wine look-up/management app for the i-phone called dryncwine, any one seen anything like this for the BB, and specifically the storm.
    03-03-09 03:27 AM
    No.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 05:06 AM
    my wife whines all the time, why would I want that on my phone
    03-03-09 09:48 AM
    haha thats a good one!!! I would be interested, I love trying new wines but never really know whats good unless I have already tried it. Not sure if the app you are speaking of gives you a description of the wine, etc etc but it would help taking out some of the guess work.
    03-03-09 09:53 AM
    I just read a little blurb about this app and had to chime in.

I'm not exactly sure where they would be getting their "reviews" from. If it's from Wine Spectator, Wine Advocate (Parker) or the like, I'm not sure how they would get around that because you have to pay for those services, whether online or by buying the monthly mags.

If the app is just a vehicle to keep your own database, that would make more sense to me. For me, nothing beats a notebook, then again, I sell/import wine for a living. I couldn't imagine being at a tasting and having to fumble around w/ my blackberry, especially with a bunch of drunks with glasses full of wine and spit buckets all over the place.

I tell people all of the time to buy a notepad to shove in a drawer at home, just to scribble a few notes down as to not forget what they drank. When I was in retail, everyday I'd get a person coming in, "I'm looking for a wine, it's white..begins with the letter 'R'", uh, ok!

Having said all of that, beware of "expert reviews", take them with a grain of salt. When you see a piece of crap Kendall Jackson Chardonnay with 95 points in Wine Spectator, then flip the page and see a full page advert for the same wine, I mean, come on.

Make your own reviews, everyone's palate is different and it's a shame that something as awesome as wine comes down to a grading system by so-called experts.

Also, before I put you to sleep, stay away from wines that are heavy in advertisting (either from the winery or the supplier/importer), there are thousands upon thousands of wines out there. Most of which that don't advertise are much more worth the money than a bottling that spends a truckload of cash on advertising. The price point will be higher and you'll pay for it.

Ok, sorry for being a nerd.
    03-03-09 10:15 AM
    I would love to see a native wine application for BlackBerry. The two apps (for iPhone) for which I would especially like to see a BlackBerry version of are the Wine Enthusiast Guide and Drync Wine. I have been following this topic for a while (on a few wine forums and here), and it seems that there are a few "under development", but nothing available yet.

And @ theKC, a lot of these iPhone applications pull their reviews from free forum-based review sites like Snooth.com, where the reviews are user submitted and therefore, supposedly, unbiased.
    04-06-09 02:44 PM
    There are two apps I have found. They do not give scores on specific wines, instead it is a little more broad. These apps will tell you whether or not a region is good or not with a certain year. one has a free and pay for version, the other is free. The pay for version looks worth it ($3).

the free/pay is RVintage
    the free is Cellar Rat

While not exactly what you (and me) are looking for, I believe it is the closest you have for the time being.
    10-22-09 08:36 PM
    FYI - The Wine Enthusiast Guide is now available for BlackBerry smartphones. Details can be found on LandWare's website.
    03-03-10 11:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD