If you can put in a scientific calculator, then that would be better.

Go to Staples, Buy a $15 Sharp calculator with reviewable history, and emulate it's features.

Even better, take a TI-82 and copy it's abilities.

Bonus: make it scriptable, so others can make plugins for it to do things like BMI or tip calculations.
    Last edited by grahamf; 11-17-10 at 10:22 PM.
    11-17-10 10:19 PM
    As you know Tip Calculator is an useful app for your phone. I'm wondering will people download (buy) Tip Cal app for their Playbook and actually use it in the restaurant?

What do you think?
    are u kidding??? who needs a tip calculator?? How hard is it to figure 20+%??? ie, the bill is $38. I'll tip $8 (I always tip over 20%). If the bill is $70 I tip $15+. c'mon people!! THINK!!! I'd feel beyond STUPID if I had to resort to a "tip calculator". Have IQ's dropped sharply since I went to school?

It's a rare event that the service is bad enough to justify leaving no tip or less than 20%.
    Last edited by dave1812; 11-17-10 at 10:35 PM.
    11-17-10 10:25 PM
    I agree with grahamf. A scientific calculator would make more sense. Any calculator app that emulates a TI calculator is a win in my (Play)book. XD
    11-17-10 10:44 PM
    I thought I would make another post that is more constructive. I think the scientific calculator idea is good. I also think a good app that does unit conversions would be nice. I have the "UnitCoverter" app on the Storm and I use it quite a bit. A more polished version of that app on the PlayBook would be useful.

I just don't see any use for an app that only does one very basic calculation (tip calculator).
    11-17-10 11:34 PM
    I always tip 15%-20% and round to the nearest whole dollar value.

I work with a lot of women who don't seem to have the ability to do this type of math in their head, so I am often asked what to Tip, so I can see a value to a tip calculator if it does more than just take value and multiply by 15%,

that being said, I'd never buy one, especially for something as large as a playbook
    This woman moves the decimal point over to the left one spot to figure out 10% and round up, if I'm cheap on that day. If I'm not cheap, I simply double that to get 20% and round up.
    11-17-10 11:46 PM
    Figuring out a tip should not require a calculator. As mentioned by JRS, just move the decimal point on the total bill 1 spot to get 10% and work it from there. Here in NY, tax is 8.5% so you can just double the tax to get 17% and then adjust from there based on the service.
    11-17-10 11:54 PM
    I agree with grahamf. A scientific calculator would make more sense. Any calculator app that emulates a TI calculator is a win in my (Play)book. XD
    now that i would get. especially if you can write programs in the emulator. i used to write all kinds of stuff for my ti-80 and then my ti-85. mostly for math/science formulas, but a few basic games. my friend wrote drug wars for my ti-80 in middle school. i wrote a few basic ones, but i forget them now...i would love to play drug wars for a ti calculator. without having to carry around a ti calculator..haha
    11-18-10 12:37 AM
    Agreed. I'd love a good scientific and graphing calculator. The PlayBook's screen would be awesome for a graphing calculator, vs the tiny black and white screen on my TI-83 Plus.
    11-18-10 03:25 AM
    While i understand its simple math i think as long as it does more, like split the bill between how many people you have with tip included or not and such is not a bad app. however, for the PB i just dont see it as needed. I have one on my phone that does alot of things and i will surely have my phone at a restaurant but not the PB
    11-18-10 07:49 AM
    are u kidding??? who needs a tip calculator?? How hard is it to figure 20+%??? ie, the bill is $38. I'll tip $8 (I always tip over 20%). If the bill is $70 I tip $15+. c'mon people!! THINK!!! I'd feel beyond STUPID if I had to resort to a "tip calculator". Have IQ's dropped sharply since I went to school?

It's a rare event that the service is bad enough to justify leaving no tip or less than 20%.
    I always divide by 10 and give them half of that. Of course I can never go back to the same place without fear of getting boogers in my burgers. LOL.
    11-18-10 08:36 AM
    I always divide by 10 and give them half of that. Of course I can never go back to the same place without fear of getting boogers in my burgers. LOL.
    I'm probably a good tipper because as a teen, I was a waiter and busboy. I know how hard they both work. If one can't afford to tip, they should go to McDonalds instead.
    11-18-10 10:00 AM
    I'm probably a good tipper because as a teen, I was a waiter and busboy. I know how hard they both work. If one can't afford to tip, they should go to McDonalds instead.
    It was a joke Dave, sheesh.

At my local pub I tip 20-50% depending on who it is. Some girls know how to work an ol' man and make him feel not so old . These girls work for $1.75 an hour plus tips (I know the owner) and have to split tips with the kitchen and bus boys and then divide amongst themselves. For those single moms, the 15% tip (minimum) is the difference between a living wage and public assistance for them and their kids.

I can well afford $10-$15 on a $20-$30 tab when it's deserved. And $4-$6 is a no brainer for the minimum on that.

Of course I don't spend ALL my money on geeky toys, Dave. LOL.
    11-18-10 10:19 AM
    It was a joke Dave, sheesh.

At my local pub I tip 20-50% depending on who it is. Some girls know how to work an ol' man and make him feel not so old . These girls work for $1.75 an hour plus tips (I know the owner) and have to split tips with the kitchen and bus boys and then divide amongst themselves. For those single moms, the 15% tip (minimum) is the difference between a living wage and public assistance for them and their kids.

I can well afford $10-$15 on a $20-$30 tab when it's deserved. And $4-$6 is a no brainer for the minimum on that.

Of course I don't spend ALL my money on geeky toys, Dave. LOL.
    oh, i think you misunderstood my last response! I didn't write any of that because of what you'd said. I was just mentioning that I tip well because I used to be a waiter LONG ago. I was talking in general, that anyone who won't/can't tip properly, should either eat at home or go to a fast-food joint.
    11-18-10 10:30 AM
    oh, i think you misunderstood my last response! I didn't write any of that because of what you'd said. I was just mentioning that I tip well because I used to be a waiter LONG ago. I was talking in general, that anyone who won't/can't tip properly, should either eat at home or go to a fast-food joint.
    Wasn't sure but we're kewl, Dude.
    11-18-10 10:31 AM
    Wasn't sure but we're kewl, Dude.
    absolutely!!
    11-18-10 10:34 AM
    Scrid2000's Tipping App:
    Excellent Service: drop the last number from the bill total and double it. Example: 27.50 -> 2.75 x 2 = 5.50
    Decent Service: drop the last zero from the total and add half that amount again. Example: 32.50 -> 3.25 +1.63 = 4.88
    Not very good service -> just drop the last number from the bill. They didn't earn anything special. Example: 17.27 -> 1.72 (remember to round down for this person).
    Horrible service: Unless you're an accomplished pickpocket and the waiter/waitress bends over near your table, excuse yourself to the bathroom at the end of the meal, especially if the main entrance is near the bathroom door. Spare change is also acceptable.

I plan to transcribe this to a word document and sell it on iTunes, I imagine it will be a raging success.
    11-19-10 05:07 PM
    Scrid2000's Tipping App:
    Excellent Service: drop the last number from the bill total and double it. Example: 27.50 -> 2.75 x 2 = 5.50
    Decent Service: drop the last zero from the total and add half that amount again. Example: 32.50 -> 3.25 +1.63 = 4.88
    Not very good service -> just drop the last number from the bill. They didn't earn anything special. Example: 17.27 -> 1.72 (remember to round down for this person).
    Horrible service: Unless you're an accomplished pickpocket and the waiter/waitress bends over near your table, excuse yourself to the bathroom at the end of the meal, especially if the main entrance is near the bathroom door. Spare change is also acceptable.

I plan to transcribe this to a word document and sell it on iTunes, I imagine it will be a raging success.
    That's actually pretty good.
    11-19-10 06:07 PM
    I went out to eat tonight. It took less than one second to "calculate" the tip. When I mentioned this thread, my wife rolled her eyes and said "how stupid" that anyone would need an app, or assistance to figure a tip. seriously.
    11-19-10 08:53 PM
    OK, let's say you're at restaurant, having some beers, you drunk, don't you think you need a little help from the app? Or when you eat out with a group, tip cal comes in handy to calculate how much each person has to pay...
    If I am too drunk to do math, chances are I am too drunk to opperate
    My mobile phone properly, or be brining something as large as a playbook around.
    When that drunk I will usually round up to the nearest $10 then add $20
    I can do math, AND I have Tip Calc on my Bold. But that is mostly for when I have my monthly "guys breakfast". 4 or 5 of us. The app makes it easy to figure out how much each person owes.....

That's just my $.02.
    wow! I have NEVER been in a group of guys that divided stuff, me and my close friends race to be the person to pay the bill, occationally tipping the server in advance if she would sneak the bill to one of us before the others can get cards out.

IF we are in a group event, everyone only has 20s anyway, and no one wants to be the dink asking for change, 10 guys with $160 bill, she's getting a $40 tip out of pride,

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-10 05:32 AM
    DeRuset, I'm gonna wait outside your house and ambush pizza guys if you tip like that

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-10 09:55 AM
    Scrid2000's Tipping App:

LOL! Ever consider tipping to the nearest dollar???
    11-20-10 10:00 AM
    move the decimal one place to the left, then adjusting accordingly, has always worked out for me.
    11-20-10 10:36 AM
    no, i "calculate" tips in my head... usually from 15%-20%. i always round up. and if i needed a calculator i'd use the one on phone.
    11-20-10 11:03 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD