I think the blackberry clamshell will sell very well. Perhaps even better than expected. Clamshell phones have always sold very well. Remember all the motorola flip phones everyone had. I guess the blackberry clamshell is an extreme improvement over that design with the added smartphone capabilities. Just my opinion.
    06-21-10 10:04 AM
    Agreed. My first real, read not Nokia Trac fone, phone was a Moto Razer flip, and it worked very well for the basic phone it was. Only major flaw for me at the time was a lack of a full qwertu keyboard. That would definitely made texting so much easier. I'm watcing the 9670, and may be picking it up as a backup for my 9550. Heck, if it works out I like it well enough, I may end up just selling the 9550.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-10 03:09 PM
    That's what I'm thinking. A good portion of the dumphone users out there are wanting to try a smartphone, and have a flip phone of some type already. They may want to stick with the form factor.
    06-23-10 04:29 AM
    I don't know about that --the Pearl Flip 8220/8230 didn't exactly set the world on fire.
    06-23-10 07:08 PM
    I have to agree with OP, I think that it will sell pretty well...
    06-24-10 02:52 PM
    I think its a spin off the pearl flip, just uglier.

06-24-10 06:57 PM
    I actually like it more than the pearl flip. One reason it will sell well is because its a clamshell and since that design protects the inner screen people will like that fact.

06-24-10 08:18 PM
    yah, im going to have to agree with the nay sayers. the pearl flip did bad and and 9800 is uglier than the pearl flip
    06-24-10 08:31 PM
    at tmobile we always refer to the pearl as the ******* red headed step child of our phone lineup...(i know there are many more/worse tmo phones its not me saying this) but this for sure is a reboot but with alot of improvements to it and im excited to see what this phone can do even if its ugly as **** if its functional thats all that really matters
    06-26-10 12:00 AM
    Well I had the flip blackberry for about a week until I changed it to the tour and let me tell you it was nice having all the functions of a blackberry in a compact device the downer was no full qwerty keyboard.
    06-29-10 01:28 PM
    I know some folks like flip phones, but seriously, this has to be the ugliest device ever....it looks like the pearl flip was hit with a hammer in a cartoon so it got flattened and widened out.

Looks aside, I honestly don't see it selling very well. Stacked up against the competition, regardless of network, this still gives the impression of a tired, under performed device.

I like RIM and want them to succeed as much as everyone else, but looking at these devices and their specs, I can't help but wonder why heads haven't started rolling...

09-02-10 12:04 PM
    I don't know about that --the Pearl Flip 8220/8230 didn't exactly set the world on fire.

True, but they won't be running OS6. My gf has been wanting to go back to a flip phone and she likes Blackberry so this would be a no-brainer for her.
    09-02-10 01:35 PM
    I personally think that it looks very girly - like those round glass/plastic rouge boxes. In most western societies using make-up equals being a woman.

I agree that the Style might actually sell well, but only for women.
    09-02-10 02:04 PM
    I personally think that it looks very girly - like those round glass/plastic rouge boxes. In most western societies using make-up equals being a woman.

I agree that the Style might actually sell well, but only for women.
    I was actually thinking about getting one but now I feel girly..LOL
    09-02-10 03:26 PM
    I think the Pearl Flip would have done better if there was better support for it. Not a lot of apps were made for it, not very many themes either. Although some people like SureType, I would say if it had come out with a qwerty keyboard, it probably also would have done better (qwerty seems to say smartphone more than a SureType keyboard).

I think it will do better than most of the people on the board think. If it comes out with BB6, and has the proper app support (which the 82xx didn't), it should do well. The qwerty keyboard should help with smartphone perception as well.
    09-02-10 08:19 PM
    I agree that this will sell in good numbers. That depends on how many RIM put out in stores. I'm sure it'll sell better than the Pearl Flip did. If it flies off the shelves, that would really suprise me.

09-04-10 11:35 AM
    Considering how few posts this section gets I don't expect it to sell well. Night and day compared to the torch section.

09-04-10 12:44 PM
    I think the blackberry clamshell will sell very well. Perhaps even better than expected. Clamshell phones have always sold very well. Remember all the motorola flip phones everyone had. I guess the blackberry clamshell is an extreme improvement over that design with the added smartphone capabilities. Just my opinion.
    I think its going to be a good entry level device like the Curve - I just hope the carriers price it accordingly..

09-08-10 02:39 AM
    Considering how few posts this section gets I don't expect it to sell well. Night and day compared to the torch section.

So?? IMO this device is geared towards the first time smart phone consumers - its just another tool to entice new people to sign contracts that never though of using a smart phone before.

The short time I got to spend with the 9670 really surprised me - it defiantly wasn't a top of the line device (nor was it meant to be IMO) but its wasn't a horrible device either.

09-08-10 03:14 AM
    Well, they are going to sell at least one of them because I am definitely getting one. I love the concept and I like the looks of the screen and full keyboard. With OS 6 and rumors of it going to Sprint, this is going to be a great buy for me. Maybe my wife too. So that will be 2 sales!
    09-08-10 07:33 AM
    So?? IMO this device is geared towards the first time smart phone consumers - its just another tool to entice new people to sign contracts that never though of using a smart phone before.

The short time I got to spend with the 9670 really surprised me - it defiantly wasn't a top of the line device (nor was it meant to be IMO) but its wasn't a horrible device either.

Was it CDMA-only or was it a worldphone?
    09-08-10 07:36 AM
    Was it CDMA-only or was it a worldphone?
    I believe it was a world phone but I'm not 100% certain - I was more focused on pulling the tutorial videos of the device...

09-08-10 03:57 PM
    I believe it was a world phone but I'm not 100% certain - I was more focused on pulling the tutorial videos of the device...

Too bad that no one has checked to make sure. There is a HUGE difference between the two. Let's hope that it's truly a OS6 worldphone.
    09-08-10 04:08 PM

Not being a top of the line device as you say would you say that it would be an upgrade over the tour 9630 and the bold 9650?

09-09-10 01:38 AM
    Not being a top of the line device as you say would you say that it would be an upgrade over the tour 9630 and the bold 9650?

I don't think I'd use the word 'upgrade' to describe the 9670. I just think its for a completely different crowd then a traditional Blackberry user. Take a moment and think about the people you see in the world that use a flip 'dumb phone' - that's who this device is designed to attract IMO not the tech savvy iPhone user or hard core business user. This device isn't going to steal users away from the ip4 or android but it just may grab the addition of fresh non-smart phone users. From a bussiness stand point I think RIM has the right idea by doing this...

To answer your question - IMO with the disappointments of the Tour I'd say the 9670 would be a better equipped device and nothing more. And as I stated above I wouldn't use the word upgrade but 'diffrent' to compaire the Style to the current Bold.
    Last edited by lucky45; 09-09-10 at 05:43 AM.
    09-09-10 05:36 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD