Just curious, but once you download a gift app like Vlingo, is that it or do you own it and will therefore receive updates as they are released?

Thanks.
    11-14-11 02:12 PM
    Just curious, but once you download a gift app like Vlingo, is that it or do you own it and will therefore receive updates as they are released?
    For most free apps, if you get them from App World, you will be notified of updates, providing you have both the app and App World installed still at the time.

The excpetion with AW, is premium apps that are temporarily offered for free from AW. You will be notified of the update; however, if the app is no longer free, you can't DL the update without purchasing the app. If there's an update while it's still free, that will work fine.

I've been curious to see whether or not AW will change this for these "Complimentary Gift" apps offered this year, like Vlingo and Bubble Bash 2. (I doubt it, unfortunately.)
    11-14-11 02:22 PM
    RIM has stated that they will update as if they were purchased. No worries.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-11 03:00 PM
    That's great news if true! Do you recall where you read that?
    11-14-11 03:47 PM
    If the developer is temporarily offering the app for free and then the promotion expires, it makes sense that updates would cost. But in this case, the developer is being paid by RIM, so from the developer's perspective, this is a paid sale.
    11-14-11 06:37 PM
    I've wondered about that too. There's nothing that specifically spells out that the dev is being paid by RIM either. I know it's a somewhat obvious assumption, but they could be compensated in other ways. RIM could offer them a larger cut of their future AW sales, for example.
    11-14-11 09:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD