I was wondering if anyone knows if there will be instant chat on the facebook application meaning that you can chat to the online users on facebook? If so I am definitely sold on this device.
    08-08-10 06:56 PM
    If not, just download Beejive, it allows you to do just such.
    08-08-10 07:01 PM
    Probably not. Right now, only the iphone app supports chat. It would be nice if they (facebook) put all the apps for the various OS out there on one template, but until all the OS makers release the APIs needed...good luck.
    RIM probably doesn't want much competition for BBM...
    08-08-10 07:03 PM
    Cool, do you know where to get a full free version of beejive?
    08-08-10 07:07 PM
    It was my understanding and from what I saw at the store yesterday, all the major social networking site are included in such a way that you can communicate and send video/pictures to all at the same time.
    08-08-10 07:10 PM
    It was my understanding and from what I saw at the store yesterday, all the major social networking site are included in such a way that you can communicate and send video/pictures to all at the same time.
    That's not what the OP was asking. He was asking whether or not you could use facebook chat with the torch.
    08-08-10 07:13 PM
    Are you talking like Instant Messenger or BBM?
    08-08-10 07:24 PM
    No, like facebook chat within facebook to other facebook users.
    08-08-10 07:27 PM
    Are you talking like Instant Messenger or BBM?
    Facebook chat. Not AIM, not Yahoo Messenger, not BBM. Facebook Chat. The instant messaging protocol inside Facebook. Blackberry's version of the Facebook application does not have the chat function in it, whereas the iProduct's version does.
    08-08-10 07:29 PM
    You can do it on the 9700. Why with current 9800 is this not possible? You would only select FB to chat.
    08-08-10 07:29 PM
    You can do it on the 9700. Why with current 9800 is this not possible? You would only select FB to chat.
    Not unless you get a 3rd party application (like BeeJive). You can't do Facebook chat (chatting with other facebook users in an instant messaging format) within the Facebook application. How do I know? I have the official FB app on my Bold 9700.

Chatting and posting are two totally different things.
    08-08-10 07:32 PM
    I guess I am bit behind you young people in terms of chat protocols.
    08-08-10 07:34 PM
    I think the Facebook chat is a "coming soon" type of thing as the Facebook for Blackberry app got the "Login to Facebook Chat" tick box with the last release of the software.
    08-09-10 07:00 AM
    alternatively, would they position BBM as a universal chat client - it currently supports BBM and SMS.

In addition to Beejive, I've been using Trillium for BB - an example of an integrated chat - supports Yahoo Messenger, GoogleTalk, FB, Live, AOL-AIM, ICQ etc... not the most elegant but its all-in-one
    08-09-10 08:11 AM
    I think the Facebook chat is a "coming soon" type of thing as the Facebook for Blackberry app got the "Login to Facebook Chat" tick box with the last release of the software.
    I have the latest 1.8 version but didn't notice that -- where is it?
    08-09-10 09:33 AM
    Does 1.8 actually work at a decent speed?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-10 09:41 AM
    Probably not. Right now, only the iphone app supports chat. It would be nice if they (facebook) put all the apps for the various OS out there on one template, but until all the OS makers release the APIs needed...good luck.
    RIM probably doesn't want much competition for BBM...
    Problem is Facebook didn't create the BB app, it was created by RIM!
    As long as that remains there will always be a disconnect between the BB version and those of other platforms.
    08-09-10 11:05 AM
    I don't know if there is going to be instant chat or not, but I for one don't want to ever chat with a good portion of my FB friends. If I want to chat with them they have my number and I'll text/BBM them.

08-09-10 11:27 AM
    I would like to see Facebook Chat included in the FB app for BlackBerry. All of my FB friends are REAL frineds and I would love to stay in contact with them on the go without using IM+
    08-09-10 11:38 AM
    I have the latest 1.8 version but didn't notice that -- where is it?
    Its part of the permissions on the desktop. See the image below from the Applications settings on the Facebook desktop App.

08-09-10 12:18 PM
    IM + and Nimbuzz both us the Facebook chat utiliy to allow IMs between you and your facebook chums
    08-09-10 12:26 PM
    I don't know if there is going to be instant chat or not, but I for one don't want to ever chat with a good portion of my FB friends. If I want to chat with them they have my number and I'll text/BBM them.

+1, when I'm on fb from my pc, I stay logged out of chat. The people that I chat with regularly all have one of the other main IM apps such as yahoo, gtalk, bbm, wlm, aim. How many different ways does one need to contact a person? Is there one person out there that is on facebook and DOES NOT have one of these other im clients? It's IM overkill these days.
    08-09-10 12:31 PM
    Its part of the permissions on the desktop. See the image below from the Applications settings on the Facebook desktop App.

We're talking about facebook chat on the blackberry...not on the web platform.
    08-09-10 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD