Don't get me wrong, there are many reason people would want to upgrade from the Bold to the Onyx.

But let's be honest. The biggest vices of the Bold is the fact app memory is low compared to the newer phones and the camera. However, most people can live with the camera, but the app memory becomes a huge problem.

Well if RIM allows SD Card storage or device memory storage, would most of you still think about upgrading to an Onyx or something?

I mean I have nearly 1 gig in device memory and a 16 gb sd card in right now and if apps are allowed to be stored on them, it removes a huge hassle of the Bold.

What are your thoughts?
    07-29-09 09:48 PM
    App will be stored and the sd card but cannot run off the card. There will still be the same device memory issue....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 09:55 PM
    there are security issues with running apps off of a memory card for some applications. there are very few that currently do so. The only one i can think of currently is Epocrates, which is a medical program, is partially stored in the memory card. Its probably just easier for RIM to add more app memory to their phones than to figure out micro sd card issues
    07-29-09 10:10 PM
    Yes but reading the update notice, it said that it would allow developers to create apps to run off the memory cards. So in essence, the developers would create apps that could be stored on the cards no?

I don't know about it being easier for RIM to add memory to their phones considering that they should be adding at least 512 mb to 1 gig for app memory by now but are still stuck at 256 mb.

Never mind, I read another site's take on it and it's still an issue. We'll be able to store apps on memory cards but in order to use them, they will still need to run off app memory.

Oh well its a step in the right direction though.
    Last edited by Madness87; 07-29-09 at 10:17 PM.
    07-29-09 10:15 PM
    RIM's bread and butter is that their security is better than any other device out there. They've deemed allowing access to the phone's system from removable storage a security threat, which is a can of worms they don't want to open. I believe we will see devices with more and more app memory, but I don't believe that the ability to run apps from SD storage will be on the horizon anytime soon.

07-29-09 11:00 PM
    RIM's bread and butter is that their security is better than any other device out there. They've deemed allowing access to the phone's system from removable storage a security threat, which is a can of worms they don't want to open. I believe we will see devices with more and more app memory, but I don't believe that the ability to run apps from SD storage will be on the horizon anytime soon.

Thats A-OK with me!
    07-30-09 11:58 AM
    TomTom on a BB with all of North America on my microSD card...

now that sounds tempting !
    07-30-09 12:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD