Hey all,

Does anybody make an app to turn wifi on and off based on my actual GPS location? I know there are apps that will do this based on cell tower location but this won't do me any good as my house, work and 90% of my time is spend working off the same cell tower. I would need an app that works specifically off a gps location with a geofence around that location of about 50 metres or so.

Thanks for any help.

Mike
    08-22-12 01:54 PM
    There is not an app for this because your GPS would need to be on all the time, and your battery would be dead in <4 hours.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    08-22-12 09:31 PM
    There is not an app for this because your GPS would need to be on all the time, and your battery would be dead in <4 hours.

My qps has been on since the day I've got it and it lasts all day and evening.

Mike
    08-22-12 09:49 PM
    App world search wifi manager

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    08-22-12 10:42 PM
    zolt11 is spot on with Wifi Manager - Free WiFi Manager - Download WiFi Manager - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World

Remember though to read the 'full' description or you'll believe it's not installed correctly.

An excellent free utility. I haven't had to worry about turning it off or on since installing it.
    08-23-12 02:58 AM
    zolt11 is spot on with Wifi Manager - Free WiFi Manager - Download WiFi Manager - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World

Remember though to read the 'full' description or you'll believe it's not installed correctly.

An excellent free utility. I haven't had to worry about turning it off or on since installing it.
    I've read the discription however couldn't see that it said it controlls wifi on/off dependant on gps location. Can you confirm if that is part of what it does?

Thanks,
    08-23-12 08:19 AM
    Sorry it goes by Cell Tower location not GPS sorry. However, that being said, once you get within 50 meters of your home (for example) it will close down Wifi and as soon as you get home it's back on.
    08-23-12 08:28 AM
    Leave Google Maps running with GPS enabled, and see how long your battery lasts.

08-23-12 07:48 PM
    Why in gods name would I do that just to see how long the battery last? I leave GPS on so I can find it with BlackBerry Protect if needed.

Mike
    08-23-12 08:23 PM
    Okay, having GPS enabled doesn't mean the actual GPS is "on."
    The GPS is only on if an application like BB/Google Maps is using it. BlackBerry protect doesn't use it either until you search for the location via the Protect website.
    Sorry if I didn't explain this properly before.

08-24-12 06:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD