05-30-10 01:49 PM
78 1234
tools

Lets explore this a little more. RIM key on making buttons had also felt it necessary to add 4 independent buttons. Well a year and a half later my buttons are broken, and my click screen is becoming less responsive. But guess WHAT! My software has gotten much better. There is an old adage, hardware breaks down software gets better.

=X=

The only widespread hardware problems are with the original storm. Sorry you got the "beta" version of the storm before the kinks could be worked out.

Also, I disagree that the surepress is a "gimmick". It allows you to highlight without having to actually select something. Software always gets better but so does hardware. Maybe you should upgrade to the storm2 and then you might not be so cynical of a touchscreen blackberry.
    04-10-10 07:03 PM
    I tired OM and it's ok but the BB browser does the job for me. OM is touch and I don't like touch apps except to move around the menus which is why I got the Storm/Storm 2. I do like some of it but it's not for me
    I feel the complete opposite. I wish the screen didnt click. I love using Opera Mini for that reason alone.
    04-10-10 07:39 PM
    The only widespread hardware problems are with the original storm. Sorry you got the "beta" version of the storm before the kinks could be worked out.
    While most have been resolved the click screen continues to be a source of pain, did RIM not release a new solution for its click screen.

Also, I disagree that the surepress is a "gimmick". It allows you to highlight without having to actually select something. Software always gets better but so does hardware. Maybe you should upgrade to the storm2 and then you might not be so cynical of a touchscreen blackberry.
    You missunderstand my comments. I'm simply staying that any hardware by virtue of regular usage is going to deteriorate. However software is not prone to decay or wear. In fact software can be improved on the same physical device. Like my storm 1 for instance that is truly improved over time.
    However thee is more anytime you have moving parts on a device the greater the chances are that a device will break down. What are the two most common things that break down on a computer the fan and the hard drive.

The point is the click screen is just another moving part that will break down. And in fact it is what is happening to my storm 1 the click screen is loosing it's spring and is harder to use. If yoi think the storm 2 is diffent just wait and see.

if rim ditched the click screen it would prolong the life of the phone.

i'm sure you like the click screen but you see incorect in stating it offers more functionality, it's just a different way of enteracting with the device, one that slows down the typing process.

To prove my point there is nothing the BB browser offers with it's click screen support that the OM5 browser can't already do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-10 03:04 PM
    For me, one reason really...I HATE the lack of surepress support.

I do have it installed, and have played around with it, but I've never really had an experience using Opera mini that has wowed me all that much. I agree it may load pages a bit faster, but I often find them a bit harder to read without zooming in and out (I like to use column layout on the BB browser), and it seems I'm constantly accidentally clicking on links and navigating away from the page I'm trying to view because it doesn't wait for me to "click" the screen when I touch a link or menu item.
    04-12-10 03:18 PM
    I just made the switch yesterday on my new Storm 2 and am really enjoying it (I previously tried it for a day on my Storm 1 and it didn't stick). One thing that drives me nuts is that the screen constantly shrinks up to about 2/5s of the screen with the menu bar pulled way up and just blank white screen beneath it. Is this a known problem? Is it something I'm going? Can someone help me out because it's driving me crazy.
    04-13-10 05:47 AM
    Is this a known problem? Is it something I'm going? Can someone help me out because it's driving me crazy.
    It is a known problem, however reinstalling it has fixed the issue for some people.
    04-13-10 06:07 AM
    BB browser for me. Works good and I'm online all day with it.

04-13-10 07:42 AM
    This would be an interesting poll question.

For the record, I've tried OM and Bolt but still prefer the BB browser. Main reason is I prefer surepress to touch; secondary reason is column browsing. I have a 1st gen ipod touch and was constantly accidentally "clicking" on things I didn't mean to. From the first time I picked up the S2 at the VZ store I loved the surepress; consequently now that I have my storm, I don't use my ipod touch for much anymore besides listening to music or a couple apps that I haven't found good free BB versions of.

To each his own browser preference I guess.
    04-13-10 09:22 AM
    Opera Mini is okay, but it doesn't allow for one hand operation

04-13-10 09:35 AM
    *Snip*
    i'm sure you like the click screen but you see incorect in stating it offers more functionality, it's just a different way of enteracting with the device, one that slows down the typing process. *Snip*
    It does add functionality. By the basic definition of functionality, it literally doubles the usage of the same screen. Capacitive feedback is the same thing then, otherwise. Though many seem to really like it. (See: Droid bottom 4 keys)

And, regarding slowing down the typing process... as someone who has used an iPhone, and a Droid, and continues to use an iPod Touch ... I type much much faster with SurePress than without it. It's a mental subconscious thing. We like having some sort of physical proof that we have done something, and a click suffices. This is why a touch screen and something that clicks, will always be different worlds. And why a Droid has a full Qwerty. If the touch screen experience was so much faster, why would it have a Qwerty? Doesn't really speak to functionality by adding a sliding keyboard. And that all said, if I wanted a pure touch experience, I would have one. I got the Storm 2 because I really liked the SurePress technology. If you bought a Wii Game, don't you expect it to use the Motion Control? Why should this be different?

Another point to consider: Yes, the Storm 1's SurePress ... dealies, for lack of a more technical word, are going to wear out. The Storm 2's will as well. But the Storm 2 will not wear as fast, as it spreads the load. You type 24 letters, it's relatively reasonable to assume the full load of clicking will not be taken by only one of the 4 ... dealies. Therefore, it should last at least twice, if not up to four times as long.

And that all said, i've had my Storm 2 since about 3 days after it launched, and it is still SurePress clicking perfectly. I have had 0 problems, and I know there is a large amount of people who have had no problems either.

It sucks that your experience is so negative, but that doesn't mean that it is the same for everyone. And on a device which is largely based around the SurePress technology, it is honestly surprising to not see it utilized in a program for it.

-------

Original discussion response:

I like in the BlackBerry browser being able to double tap to zoom in. I also like that I can put a finger down to move the screen around without fear of it opening up a link. I used Opera for awhile, and really tried to like it. Visually, it's awesome. I love how it looks, so much! I just don't like that it doesn't use SurePress. But that said, I honestly (from even a programming standpoint), can't understand it being a huge burden to offer an option that basically switches around (or even adds? Technically making the Click and Touch do different things is 'adding' a button) functionality of the software would be a massive amount of work. Especially if it was something so many users wanted. But if it's current form is the browsing experience they were aiming for, then that's totally cool.
    Last edited by verziehenone; 04-13-10 at 10:29 AM.
    04-13-10 10:24 AM
    It is a known problem, however reinstalling it has fixed the issue for some people.
    Ugh. I tried reinstalling over the application. Do I need to delete and then reinstall? Just reinstalling over the application didn't solve the problem and I'm realling hoping there's a solution to this. I'm liking Opera's speed quite a bit and am getting used to the way it works but that is probably a deal-breaker for me if I keep having to spin the device to get rid of that big white empty area beneath the shrunken browser screen.
    04-13-10 10:27 AM
    "At least 50% of the time when I clicked on a link it either refreshed the page I was already on or would render a blank page. Of course it's fast when it doesn't actually go anywhere!
    Even after several weeks I was never really able to figure out how the tabs worked and stuff. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I just couldn't make it work?"

The above is typical of comments that appear in the many, many postings about Opera Mini. I have had similar questions myself. It seems that everyone has to fumble their way around in OM until they figure it out. MY QUESTION TO THE GROUP: Is there any sort of users' manual for Opera Mini?? I have been to their web site and haven't been able to locate any comprehensive set of instructions. I've seen various comments like "you need to learn how to use the program", etc. Does anyone have a link to the documentation for OM?

Bob
    04-13-10 04:52 PM
    I don't understand the craze of Opera Mini either. I like that it supports multiple tabs, but I don't know anything else that makes it better than the BB Browser. I installed it a few days ago or so and rarely even open it. I just don't know what makes it superior to BBB.
    04-13-10 08:35 PM
    I'm not using opera mini currently because ever since the .607 update, it only renders a portion of web pages. It can be fixed by turning the phone to portrait but that gets very old for every new page I go to.

04-13-10 09:01 PM
    Much better than the beta! Just downloaded it and starting to prefer it

04-13-10 09:54 PM
    I'm not using opera mini currently because ever since the .607 update, it only renders a portion of web pages. It can be fixed by turning the phone to portrait but that gets very old for every new page I go to.

Yep, me too. I was using OM exclusively until upgrading to .607. Now it's buggy. I'm sure they're working on a fix already so i'll look forward to that. I prefer OM over the native BBB because of the tabbed browsing capability and for it's speed. However, it's been kinda nice using the BBB for a bit after a long hiatus. My wifi seems to be staying connected better with this OS and my BBB is moving right along (for the most part).

JoePilot

04-13-10 10:21 PM
    MUCH Faster than native browser, tabbed browsing, I like the touch not click feature, did I mention Opera is faster? I just prefer it all around but I still end up using the Native browser a lot because it is the default and tends to pop up when selecting short cuts.
    04-14-10 01:09 AM
    MUCH Faster than native browser, tabbed browsing, I like the touch not click feature, did I mention Opera is faster? I just prefer it all around but I still end up using the Native browser a lot because it is the default and tends to pop up when selecting short cuts.

I can tell that OM is faster than the native browser...but it doesn't seem like a big difference in speed. Maybe the BBB use to be slower but is starting to catch up.
    04-14-10 10:46 AM
    Permit me to bump this up one more time and ask once more:

Is there documentation -- like a user manual -- for Opera Mini 5? Yes, I know it's faster, it's lame in 602, etc., etc. I've read those things over and over. What I need is explicit instructions on the details of how to use the program. Yes, I've been to opera's dot-com site but didn't find a guide; did I overlook the obvious? Does ANYone have a more informative link?

Bob
    04-14-10 06:40 PM
    Started using OM on my Instinct, which has a hideous browser. I now use it on my 8530 and prefer it over the BB browser.

Is there a way to make OM the default? It is a hassle to copy/paste embedded links into OM. Would be much sweeter if the links opened, by default, in OM. I'll go on a limb here and say that there is no way to make OM the default, but I would love someone to tell me that I am wrong.
    04-15-10 01:59 AM
    I haven't tried the final release of OM5, but I stopped using it because...

A. At least 50% of the time when I clicked on a link it either refreshed the page I was already on or would render a blank page. Of course it's fast when it doesn't actually go anywhere!

B. Text entry boxes were always FUBAR. It's hard to enter text when the text box is covered with a graphic or completely missing!

C. The slow and jumpy scrolling drove me nuts.

D. One level of zoom? Lame!

E. It would freeze up my phone sometimes on exit.

F. It didn't play well with multi-tasking since there was no way to use the BB Menu key while OM was active. I thought I had that issue solved my using QuickLaunch, but QL and OM didn't play well together either...FREEZE!

G. Even after several weeks I was never really able to figure out how the tabs worked and stuff. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I just couldn't make it work?

In the end there was really only one thing I liked about OM and that was that once you got a page to load, photos were amazingly clear and vivid, instead of all pixelated and blurry on the BB browser.

As for the click vs. no click, it really doesn't matter to me. I click everything anyway because I have a hard time touching without clicking. So OM was always clicking!

Don't even get me started on Bolt. What a useless POS that is!
    I agree with points A,B,C and D.

However I still prefer to use Opera over Bolt....and the BB Browser is still rubbish, but as someone mentioned serves some useful purposes i.e YouTube, app installs...
    04-15-10 06:22 AM
    I use opera much more than default rim browser, unless it's an os operation it's opera.
    I also use the recently approved by Apple Opera mini for iPhone/itouch an it's awesome also.
    Safari is fast but the way opera handles bookmarks and start page make it better IMO.

04-15-10 06:30 AM
    I was a hard-core opera mini user since the first beta. However, like others, I have mostly abandoned it for several reasons -
    1) The prob with the new .607 and keyb space not disappearing
    2) 1 level of zoom. on a lot of pages, it's just not large enough to see clearly
    3) the "blank page" issue. Happened about 100% of the time on eBay pages. have to tap the white page every time you change pages
    4) click through on a link doesn't work if the browser is already open. I like to keep it open but then I can't click through from an email or text link w/out shutting it down first.
    5) BB browser getting better and will prob return to using it natively
    04-15-10 06:38 AM
    Ugh. I tried reinstalling over the application. Do I need to delete and then reinstall? Just reinstalling over the application didn't solve the problem and I'm realling hoping there's a solution to this. I'm liking Opera's speed quite a bit and am getting used to the way it works but that is probably a deal-breaker for me if I keep having to spin the device to get rid of that big white empty area beneath the shrunken browser screen.
    I can't remember if it was deleted or not. But once it was reinstalled it worked fine.
    04-15-10 09:10 PM
    I have to concur with some of the users in this forum that have had issues with both Bolt and OM. For me, Bolt was better functionality in terms of both speed and image quality than the native browser- I did NOT however care for a pointer on the screen as it often did not correspond to my commands on the touchscreen (Storm 9530). OM kinda irritated me because it did not load images at times, rendered a Wikipedia page as a text only, single column; and again the click rather than suretype thing irritated me too. I wish there was another option that combined the best of the two and made it truly native for the Storm's touchscreen capabilities
    Last edited by adkted2me; 05-30-10 at 09:55 AM. Reason: grammar
    05-30-10 09:55 AM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD