Personally, the main reason I don't use Opera Mini is one that others have mentioned already. I dislike the 'Touch' instead of 'SurePress' usage in the browser. When I touch the screen, I like that it highlights in the BlackBerry browser, allowing me to make sure i'm clicking correctly. I visit a fair amount of sites with links that are small or rendered near eachother, and being able to highlight before clicking is useful to me.

Otherwise, the Bolt browser just ran slowly for me, or at least, it wasn't fast enough to warrant having a second browser installed. Logically, as bmoney1229 said, either you leave it open all the time and burn through your battery, or it will take a bit longer to open, which in the end ...

Time to Open + Shortened Render time vs. Longer Render time ... probably equates to about the same. Although I like the UI for Opera... might use it if it turned 'Touch' into 'SurePress' or at least made it an option.
    04-08-10 03:51 PM
    By the way, Opera uses up less battery and data than the native browser because an external server is compressing the data. That is one of the pluses of opera. You will not have mb's of cache being stored with Opera.
    04-08-10 03:53 PM
    I downloaded (and then deleted) OM5 twice -- couldn't get it to work! Launching it was fine, full screen. But once I tried to do anything at all, it went to a 1/2 screen (as though there were a fixed keyboard), then a 1/3 screen, then a freeze ... EVERY TIME!

When I did the download, it said the dl was for BB 9550, US English. What happened???????
    I have never had that problem, did you try sending feedback to Opera?
    04-08-10 04:01 PM
    But not so much so that I am willing to have 2 browsers on my device. If I could delete BB browser I would prolly go with a 3rd party one.
    why in the world would you refuse to have two browsers on your device? are you running out of memory? if so, you have WAY too much crap installed.
    04-08-10 04:03 PM
    Otherwise, the Bolt browser just ran slowly for me, or at least, it wasn't fast enough to warrant having a second browser installed. Logically, as bmoney1229 said, either you leave it open all the time and burn through your battery, or it will take a bit longer to open, which in the end ...

as leglace said leaving Opera open will not drain your battery. I leave it running at all times, along with socialscope and always have enough battery life to get through each day, sometimes longer, and i am a power user with browsing and social networking.

as far as the touch interface, its either for you or its not. personally i find it refreshing, not to mention quieter. it seems like they could find more users though if it was an option you could turn on or off.
    04-08-10 04:07 PM
    This has been addressed do much, but since you're obviously a Blue Devils fan (GO DUKE!! and I won money on them this week, I'll forgive ya' . I have been an Opera fan for many, many years, it's one of the first things I install on any computer I have. So, when it was first coming out for the BB, I was excited. That lasted about....3 seconds. I hated it and deleted. When the most recent version came out, I tried again...kept it for a week, deleted. I don't like the page rendering nor the non-sure press approach. I don't like Bolt, either, so I guess I'm going to have to wait.

My web use on my S2 is mostly for entertainment...killing some time, it's not a big deal for me if something is a little slower (I don't find the default browser, especially with .607, all that horrible) it's not a deal breaker.

Oh yeah, GO DUKE!
    04-08-10 04:10 PM
    no copy and paste!! that alone is enough for me to stick with the native browser.
    04-08-10 04:15 PM
    no copy and paste!! that alone is enough for me to stick with the native browser.
    I rarely ever need to copy and paste on a mobile browser, let alone a desktop browser. However, I can copy and paste with Opera if I need to.
    04-08-10 04:22 PM
    This has been addressed do much, but since you're obviously a Blue Devils fan (GO DUKE!! and I won money on them this week, I'll forgive ya' . I have been an Opera fan for many, many years, it's one of the first things I install on any computer I have. So, when it was first coming out for the BB, I was excited. That lasted about....3 seconds. I hated it and deleted. When the most recent version came out, I tried again...kept it for a week, deleted. I don't like the page rendering nor the non-sure press approach. I don't like Bolt, either, so I guess I'm going to have to wait.

My web use on my S2 is mostly for entertainment...killing some time, it's not a big deal for me if something is a little slower (I don't find the default browser, especially with .607, all that horrible) it's not a deal breaker.

Oh yeah, GO DUKE!
    I keep hearing the, "I don't like the non-surepress" complaint. Would you mind it if you owned a Droid or iPhone so much that you would stop using it?

The rendering on the Opera is great imo. What I don't like much of is, the panning is not the fastest, though the final version improved it some. It also does not animate gifs. These are very piddly complaints for me when I look at what I gain.
    04-08-10 04:25 PM
    i copy links into e-mails and BBM/SMS messages all the time. does opera now allow you to copy to the native clipboard? i haven't tried it in awhile as i also don't like the touch only interface, but i know it would not on the last version i used.

edited to add: i would not mind a touch only interface on a touch only phone, but it is just counterintuitive to switch between the two. i bought the S2 because i LIKE the surepress, i'm used it to it and the way it works. it is awkward to have one app that doesn't utilize it when you are accustomed to using it on everything else.
    04-08-10 04:26 PM
    i forgot about that! i was pi$$ed when i tried to copy and paste a web address for the first time... seems pretty silly for ANY program to omit this capability, let alone a web browser.

one way i found to get around this (there may be an easier way but i dont know) is to email the web address to yourself, click on the address from within your email application, and then click on "Open with Opera" (and it cant be a link, or else you wont get the "Open with Opera Mini" option).

On a different note, how do you know how much power an open application is drawing from your battery?
    04-08-10 04:26 PM
    i forgot about that! i was pi$$ed when i tried to copy and paste a web address for the first time... seems pretty silly for ANY program to omit this capability, let alone a web browser.
    If you're talking about copy/paste of the web address for the page that you're on, that's easy. At the top of the web page, touch and hold your finger on the web address for about 1 second and a little copy/paste box pops up.
    04-08-10 04:40 PM
    If you're talking about copy/paste of the web address for the page that you're on, that's easy. At the top of the web page, touch and hold your finger on the web address for about 1 second and a little copy/paste box pops up.
    hmmm... not sure how i missed that before. I see that it also works to paste in an address that has been copied from emails, BB Browser, etc... well i feel like a jacka$$ lol. Thanks for the tip grey
    04-08-10 04:47 PM
    I also found yet another keyboard bug to add to the list. anyone else notice the keyboard issue with OM on OS 607? after typing in a box and pressing enter, the keyboard hides, but you still cant see what was previously under the keyboard... i think this is more of a 607 bug than an OM bug
    04-08-10 04:52 PM
    what do you mean, it's touch? you have a touchscreen phone! do you mean you are pissed you dont have to press down on the screen to select a link? if that's your preference then so be it, but it's one of the things i love about it.
    The Storm is "click". They say touch but Surepress is a little different. Use it and you will see. I did not bash OM just that it's not the best option for ME.
    04-08-10 04:55 PM
    I love Opera, but some people have trouble with new stuff. They try Opera, it's not like the native browser, so they decide to quickly that they don't like it. I suggest using nothing but Opera for a couple of days. If you don't like it after that, you never will, but at least you tried.
    That's what I did. I did Bolt and OM for a few days. OM is far better than Bolt for me but it didn't move me like others.
    04-08-10 04:57 PM
    All I do to copy/paste web addresses is hit the menu key, touch where the web address is to highlight the whole thing, and then hit the menu key and then copy. If I want to copy within a page I do the touch and hold till "select text" comes up, then highlight and then copy. Easy enough for me. Idk who said they can't copy/paste but w/e.

Tabbed browsing is enough for me to use opera mini even despite the keyboard bug.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 04:57 PM
    I keep hearing the, "I don't like the non-surepress" complaint. Would you mind it if you owned a Droid or iPhone so much that you would stop using it?

The rendering on the Opera is great imo. What I don't like much of is, the panning is not the fastest, though the final version improved it some. It also does not animate gifs. These are very piddly complaints for me when I look at what I gain.

A lot of us have this phone because of Surepress. If I owned a Iphone or Droid I wouldn't need OM.
    04-08-10 05:03 PM
    I’m actually using all three browsers, the default BB Brower, OM 5, and Bolt. Each Brower is cable of doing something the other Brower cannot do.

BB Browser :
    - Can’t uninstall
    - Needed for streams like youtube
    - Needed for software installs
    - Works best for mobile sites. Renders mobi sites much better than Opera or Bolt
    - I usually have to use this Brower when Opera just can’t handle a site, belevi it or not there is enough sites that don’t work. Try media fly for instance.
    - Best browser for Zooming
    - Best browser for text selection.
    - Text entry is a PAIN!! I usually have to right a message in my notepad then paste in text field.

Opera Mini 5
    - Fast for rendering most sites
    - Mobile site setting or full page works great
    - Scrolls just beautifully
    - Text entry is a PAIN!! I usually have to right a message in my notepad then paste in text field
    - Zoom is okay
    - Font size limit is a PAIN.
    - TAB BROWSING!!! This rocks
    - Has some serious bugs in it.
    o Posts don’t always work, so I have to jump to BB to use
    o Links don’t always work just keeps on refreshing current page.
    o The socket redirect doesn’t always work, against secure sites Opera is just not usable.

Bolt Browser
    - TAB BROWSING!!! This rocks but is not as good as Opera, requires a refresh
    - Best web site rendering engine of all three.
    - Zooming is horrible
    - Handles pop up windows, while a pain in most cases some websites require this feature to work.
    - Just not as polished as Opera Mini or BB.

In the end if BB had tabbed browsing I would probability stick with the BB browser since most of the sites I frequent are Mobile sites. But the tab browsing feature on Opera is just too nice. Also there are some sites that are not mobi friendly and opera handles these just fine.

The Bolt works well if I didn’t have Opera I would be just fine with Bolt, and as I mentioned Bolt does the best in rendering sites, but the UI needs more polishing

=X=
    04-08-10 07:29 PM
    Ever since I got .607 I get only 1/2 and 1/3 rendered web pages using OM. The more I experience this annoyance the more I am leaning towards getting rid of Opera and using either the BB browser or Bolt.

This is odd considering I never had this problem with OM while I was running .320. Is the native BB browser really faster with .607?
    04-08-10 09:02 PM
    I keep hearing the, "I don't like the non-surepress" complaint. Would you mind it if you owned a Droid or iPhone so much that you would stop using it
    The click is why I still believe BBerry has an advantage over Apple and Android and why I won't switch as long as my Storm functions like it does.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by gkl; 04-08-10 at 11:46 PM.
    04-08-10 11:41 PM
    I haven't tried the final release of OM5, but I stopped using it because...

A. At least 50% of the time when I clicked on a link it either refreshed the page I was already on or would render a blank page. Of course it's fast when it doesn't actually go anywhere!

B. Text entry boxes were always FUBAR. It's hard to enter text when the text box is covered with a graphic or completely missing!

C. The slow and jumpy scrolling drove me nuts.

D. One level of zoom? Lame!

E. It would freeze up my phone sometimes on exit.

F. It didn't play well with multi-tasking since there was no way to use the BB Menu key while OM was active. I thought I had that issue solved my using QuickLaunch, but QL and OM didn't play well together either...FREEZE!

G. Even after several weeks I was never really able to figure out how the tabs worked and stuff. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I just couldn't make it work?

In the end there was really only one thing I liked about OM and that was that once you got a page to load, photos were amazingly clear and vivid, instead of all pixelated and blurry on the BB browser.

As for the click vs. no click, it really doesn't matter to me. I click everything anyway because I have a hard time touching without clicking. So OM was always clicking!

Don't even get me started on Bolt. What a useless POS that is!
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 04-09-10 at 12:02 AM. Reason: edit
    04-09-10 12:00 AM
    I have Opera on my phone and use it sometimes if speed is an issue. I prefer Surepress (that is why I got the Storm), but touch is ok. Really miss the cut and paste ease of the BB browser. If I didn't have Opera, I wouldn't miss it.
    04-09-10 12:06 AM
    I wish it has surepress but can't win everything. I'd rather OM5 then the native browser for speed.
    04-09-10 12:12 AM
    The click is why I still believe BBerry has an advantage over Apple and Android and why I won't switch as long as my Storm functions like it does.
    SurePress is a gimmick and nothing more. It�s a tell tail sign of a HW company with their head so far up their arse to demonstrate their clulessness. For some reason HW can�t figure out that it is not HW that sells a product but rather the Software. So instead of making a virtual keyboard software that excels, they spend useless energy on a clickity screen. How many problems has that screen click caused.

Lets explore this a little more. RIM key on making buttons had also felt it necessary to add 4 independent buttons. Well a year and a half later my buttons are broken, and my click screen is becoming less responsive. But guess WHAT! My software has gotten much better. There is an old adage, hardware breaks down software gets better.

Heck even Kevin, here at crackberry has mentioned how useless surepress is as a concept.

I haven't tried the final release of OM5, but I stopped using it because...
    There is a big difference between the beta�s and the final OM5. The UI is more polished and the OM for the first time interacts with the BB button key.
    There are still some quirks but it is a much better product.

G. Even after several weeks I was never really able to figure out how the tabs worked and stuff. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I just couldn't make it work?
    It�s actually quite easy to use. There are to ways to create a tab browser.

First method
    When browsing a web page, select and hold you finger over a link. After a second or less a menu will pop up, at that point lift your finger. There will be two menu options �Open in New Tab� and �Select Text�

Second Method
    1) Press the BB Menu button.
    2) // The toolbar will appear.
    3) Press the fourth icon, between the refresh and the Wrench (settings)
    4) A mini screen will show up with a tab view of your current windows (for you it will be 1 tab). There will also be a blank window with a �+� in the middle of the screen.
    5) // Select the window with a �+�
    6) This will default to your speed dial screen. You can open a web via three methods, speed dial, URL, google search.

It�s that easy and that powerful. It makes surfing the web possible. BTW no other browser of phone has this feature making surfing the web on the BB the best experience.

=X=
    04-09-10 11:52 AM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD