Cruising through the Storm2 forums I find that people are STILL bashing on RIM for their lackluster browsing experience. While I couldn't agree more concerning the installed OS browser I wonder why this is still an issue when there are fantastic 3rd party options out there. I also wonder why RIM doesn't just release devices with Opera Mini preinstalled. IMO, Opera blows every other mobile browsing experience out of the water, regardless of device or brand. What are your thoughts and if you choose to stick with the RIM browser despite admitting its limitations, then why?
    04-08-10 12:31 PM
    bb browser ftw
    04-08-10 12:39 PM
    Actually just loaded it a few days ago. Love it. Still using storm 1; can't help but think its even sweeter on storm 2 (?)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 12:45 PM
    I love Opera Mini 5. Its now on socket and it is fast. I could now surf the web on my bed while my wife is sleeping. She just complains about the clicks when I type messages...
    04-08-10 12:48 PM
    I tired OM and it's ok but the BB browser does the job for me. OM is touch and I don't like touch apps except to move around the menus which is why I got the Storm/Storm 2. I do like some of it but it's not for me
    04-08-10 12:52 PM
    I tired OM and it's ok but the BB browser does the job for me. OM is touch and I don't like touch apps except to move around the menus which is why I got the Storm/Storm 2. I do like some of it but it's not for me
    what do you mean, it's touch? you have a touchscreen phone! do you mean you are pissed you dont have to press down on the screen to select a link? if that's your preference then so be it, but it's one of the things i love about it.
    04-08-10 01:10 PM
    I love Opera, but some people have trouble with new stuff. They try Opera, it's not like the native browser, so they decide to quickly that they don't like it. I suggest using nothing but Opera for a couple of days. If you don't like it after that, you never will, but at least you tried.
    04-08-10 01:14 PM
    I actually had all three browsers to see which I liked best, the bberry browser (can't delete it), opera mini, and bolt.

I didn't have problems with the Opera mini after the 607 upgrade, but just found that I like how the bberry browser renders the page and found that BOLT was just that much better. For me at least.

It allows me to actually see a webpage in its entirety and downloads in really respectable times. I am truly happy with Bolt and I think it deserves a look
    04-08-10 01:15 PM
    opera is OK, i still use the BB browser most times
    04-08-10 01:17 PM
    I tried Bolt in early beta's but found it was terrible on my 8330. I'll give it a shot but it would have to be revolutionary to replace my Opera, which did I mention syncs with my desktop browser?
    04-08-10 02:31 PM
    alright, it took about ten seconds to realize Bolt is a far lesser application than Opera. delete.
    04-08-10 02:36 PM
    I have Opera Mini installed, but I don't use it. I'm too poor to afford an unlimited data plan for my BB and with RIM's browser I get unlimited browsing.
    04-08-10 02:39 PM
    opera's rendering accuracy is terrible, far below the BBB. Also each time you upgrade the OS you loose your bookmarks cuz somehow BB desktopMan does not back them up....
    04-08-10 02:39 PM
    oh and scrolling is way to slow and rough, dont ask me why but the iPhone version is far more polished
    04-08-10 02:43 PM
    alright, it took about ten seconds to realize Bolt is a far lesser application than Opera. delete.
    are you using it on a storm 2??
    04-08-10 02:50 PM
    Last version I tried didn't respond to the click, touch only. I personnally don't like that.

Second, when I click on a link in any other application (MemoPad, Mail, etc.) it won't launch in Opera. If I have to copy and paste links, I'm taking away functionality. No thanks.

Again, this may all be resolved by now but I hadn't heard about it. Fill me in.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 02:52 PM
    I love OM5, I rarely use the native browser. Tab function is the best feature on it. I'm glad Opera didn't say screw RIM like Skyfire did. Well at least for now, Skyfire isn't focusing on BB.
    04-08-10 03:03 PM
    first to kingbernie, who says u have to redo your bookmarks every new OS, Opera is the only browser I know of that allows you to sync your bookmarks with your PC browser and save them in the cloud with a my opera account. go to opera.com and download the browser to your PC. and if you are using a BB9000 then i cannot speak for rendering or usability. on my storm2 9550 however it rivals even that of the iphone/ipod touch IMHO.
    second, to gkl, i rarely click on links from my mail or memo pad but i do use socialscope for twitter and facebook and that allows me to open links in opera mini.
    third, to Baki, if you can use RIM's browser to surf then why cant you use Opera? data is data regardless of which application you are using it to render.
    and finally to alpine, yes i installed Bolt on the Storm2 and it was immediately terrible, again IMHO
    04-08-10 03:09 PM
    I'm not sure. I know it sounds strange but that is what my Carrier has said. I get 50mb of data per month, but unlimited for BBM and Browsing using the inbuilt browser.
    It turns up on my bill the same, Browsing with RIM's browser it says the cost is 0.00, but with other applications the cost is 0.20 (or whatever) but actual cost is 0.00 till I go over my 50mb limit.
    04-08-10 03:14 PM
    I'm not sure. I know it sounds strange but that is what my Carrier has said. I get 50mb of data per month, but unlimited for BBM and Browsing using the inbuilt browser.
    It turns up on my bill the same, Browsing with RIM's browser it says the cost is 0.00, but with other applications the cost is 0.20 (or whatever) but actual cost is 0.00 till I go over my 50mb limit.

That's BS, they lied to you.
    04-08-10 03:17 PM
    I use OM and if I could get rid of the BB Browser, or at least prevent it from working in the background, I would. I will definitely try RIM's newest browser when and if it comes out, but for now, OM is it.
    04-08-10 03:19 PM
    That's BS, they lied to you.
    HAha, I sure wouldn't trust them, but to me it really doesn't matter all that much. I rarely browse on my phone because I take my laptop everywhere with me :P
    04-08-10 03:20 PM
    I downloaded (and then deleted) OM5 twice -- couldn't get it to work! Launching it was fine, full screen. But once I tried to do anything at all, it went to a 1/2 screen (as though there were a fixed keyboard), then a 1/3 screen, then a freeze ... EVERY TIME!

When I did the download, it said the dl was for BB 9550, US English. What happened???????
    04-08-10 03:40 PM
    I've tried Bolt and Opera mini. And to tell ya the truth they are improvements over the bb browser. But not so much so that I am willing to have 2 browsers on my device. If I could delete BB browser I would prolly go with a 3rd party one.

In all honesty though, For all I do BB browser has always worked fine. I even play browser games on it (such as ikariam) I know its cool to hate BB browser, but its never bothered me.
    04-08-10 03:43 PM
    opera's rendering accuracy is terrible, far below the BBB. Also each time you upgrade the OS you loose your bookmarks cuz somehow BB desktopMan does not back them up....
    not if you go into settings and use "Opera Link"

Personally, I like the BB Browser way better than OM. OM doesnt seem any faster to me... its actually slower if you think about it. when you open a link first you have to wait for the program to start up, then it starts to download the data. Of course you could always leave the program running and drain your battery
    04-08-10 03:44 PM
78 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD