Now it just went up to 42130712...hmm
    07-16-09 08:38 PM
    Good choice berrysky

And thanks for the info SD. How you been?
    Great old friend, thanks for asking. You? Always good to run into ya here...
    07-16-09 08:41 PM
    It's ok...it will fluctuate BerrySky. And 42 is good. I typically ran around 20-25 (had a lot of programs on there)

SD - things are good here...got a Tour What do you have these days...Storm?
    07-16-09 08:42 PM
    It's ok...it will fluctuate BerrySky. And 42 is good. I typically ran around 20-25 (had a lot of programs on there)
    Okay, good! Thank you trimax!!
    07-16-09 08:43 PM
    Ummm...OK

View Document

Overview

A reset of a BlackBerry smartphone is a troubleshooting method that will completely power off and restart the BlackBerry smartphone's operating system software and applications. It is a useful first step if a BlackBerry smartphone is experiencing hardware, software, or network problems.

Note: A reset of a BlackBerry smartphone does not delete any settings or data.

There are two options for performing a reset: a hard reset and a soft reset.

A hard reset involves physically removing the battery from the smartphone and then reinserting it. To perform a hard reset, complete the following steps:

1) Remove the battery cover from the back of the BlackBerry smartphone.
    2) Remove the battery, and then reinsert it after a few seconds.
    3) Replace the battery cover.

A soft reset is a three key combination that resets the BlackBerry smartphone without removing the battery. It is only available on BlackBerry smartphone models with a QWERTY keyboard. SureType� technology and touch screen BlackBerry smartphones, such as the BlackBerry� Pearl™ smartphone, BlackBerry� Pearl™ Flip smartphone, and BlackBerry� Storm™ smartphone cannot be reset in this manner.

To perform a soft reset, complete the following steps:

1) Press and hold down the ALT key on the smartphone.
    2) While holding down the ALT key, press and hold down the right-hand CAP key.
    3) With both of those buttons still pressed, press the DELETE key. The display on the BlackBerry smartphone will turn off to indicate that the reset has started, and the keys can now be released

According to that, they both stop and restart the applications.

I know that in the PC world, a full shutdown removes power from the on-board RAM and clears it out while a reboot doesn't...but even then it's not a big deal.

As long as the applications are stopped and restarted, does it really matter how it's done?

...just a question...for discussion...
    07-16-09 08:55 PM
    QuickPull is the same as pulling out the battery (well, almost) and it is considered a "Hard Reset". So, rather then pulling out the battery every time there is an issue, QuickPull is a nice alternative.
    07-16-09 09:00 PM
    QuickPull is the same as pulling out the battery (well, almost) and it is considered a "Hard Reset". So, rather then pulling out the battery every time there is an issue, QuickPull is a nice alternative.
    There has been way too many arguements in the past over this, so I'll make this short and sweet. RIM recommends the battery pull when you are experiencing issues with your device, the Quickpull application "simulates" a battery pull. The device needs all power removed from it for a few seconds to reset itself is what i'm saying. When in doubt, power out...
    07-16-09 09:07 PM
    QuickPull is a good application to speed up the device in between battery pulls if there is no major issue...I learned that from you SevereDeceit
    07-16-09 09:17 PM
    When in doubt, power out...
    I remember that quote from my early PC days...GREAT way to clear the RAM of erroneous data. Now it makes sense to me. LOL
    07-17-09 07:08 PM
    I remember that quote from my early PC days...GREAT way to clear the RAM of erroneous data. Now it makes sense to me. LOL
    It's amazing what you can learn here...
    07-17-09 07:10 PM
    It's amazing what you can learn here...
    Isn't that the truth. Just the difference in day 1, and now. Wow... (Although it doesn't help that it would take an act of God to get the thing out of my cold-dead fingers. LOL)
    07-17-09 07:15 PM
    Isn't that the truth. Just the difference in day 1, and now. Wow... (Although it doesn't help that it would take an act of God to get the thing out of my cold-dead fingers. LOL)
    Why do you think I'm still here? I came here when I got my Pearl awhile back and never left. I kept finding out new things my device could do, and the new applications, themes, updates, etc. This place is the best BlackBerry site on the net, I've made many good friends here and learned things that even the IT guys at my work are like, "How do you know this?" I'm like, it's what I do man....
    07-17-09 07:19 PM
    And the best part of it.....it's free!!! (V2.0 that is)
    07-17-09 07:31 PM
    Why do you think I'm still here? I came here when I got my Pearl awhile back and never left. I kept finding out new things my device could do, and the new applications, themes, updates, etc. This place is the best BlackBerry site on the net, I've made many good friends here and learned things that even the IT guys at my work are like, "How do you know this?" I'm like, it's what I do man....

I got my BB on the 12th and I don't know where I would be without this place. I learned so much in such a short time. If there is something I don't know, I know I can come here and get an answer or at least be pointed in the right direction.

I went from clueless to fairly comfortable in less than a week with the help of this place

Oh and to the OP... My Curve is 5 days old and QuickPull has already helped me at least once.
    07-17-09 07:38 PM
    quickpull is great!!
    07-17-09 07:53 PM
    I missed something, if the phone is off at night does quickpull work?
    07-17-09 08:17 PM
    I missed something, if the phone is off at night does quickpull work?
    Yes, QuickPull does work if the phone is off, it will just turn the phone on, reset, then remain on, so keep that in mind if you have it scheduled to reset overnight.
    07-17-09 10:17 PM
    I recently installed Quick Pull, thinking it would be great for when I'm using the clip-together style cases that are so hard to remove. However, there is a recent issue it doesn't solve. Twice, I've had a calendar alert sort of freeze. Everything else works, but the alert stays open, blocking the screen, and I can't scroll through the options and nothing happens when I click "dismiss". I can open QP when this happens, but can't get it to work, and every time I've opened it so far, I have to go through the permissions change each time. I got a bunch of update notices, and it's possible I didn't install the update for it, so I am going to try that again, but so far, I'm not thrilled with it.
    07-21-09 03:26 PM
    Thanks for this info. I've just been doing soft resets, but now will look at QP
    07-21-09 05:26 PM
    When you hit alt,sft, delete twice is that not the same as quick pull? Then if need be a battery pull for more serious stuff.
    07-21-09 06:51 PM
    After the first time I had to pull the battery for a network issue I installed Quickpull. So far it has resolved any issues I've had.
    07-21-09 07:19 PM
    I installed QP because I use a hard case to house my Curve and all that "breaking in" made the brackets loose and mangled looking. I really think a "battery pull" either manually or with this program is cruicial. Depending on the apps that you use your memory leak can be severe. A "battery pull" is the only way I know of to "plug the leak" and keep your handheld working correctly. I have noticed in the last few days though that if I don't find out soon enough that my bytes are dropping, if they are really low QP won't work forcing me to do it manually anyway. Just goes to show you, all apps need "bytes" to do their job.
    07-22-09 07:02 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD