I am going to ask this at the risk of getting folks angry because it has probably been asked before but I'll be dogged if I can find it using the search option. Here goes...first, I am new to BB. I got the Pearl Flip 8230 (please...I already know most everyone hates this device. I happen to love it because it's a flip) and have downloaded the Opera Mini browser that seems to work pretty well. So well, in fact, that I find myself using it for my FB excursions rather than the FB for BB app. It seems to work better than the app from FB. Why not just use the browser to access those sites like Twitter and Gmail and Yahoo and whatever rather than use up room and memory on the BB with the 3rd party apps? I sure would love to hear from you BB-O-Phile's that are experienced. Anyone care to chime in?

Blessings...
    Steve
    12-21-09 12:59 AM
    The Facebook app (as long as you have the registered email attached to your Blackberry account) offers push notification of new messages/updates.

The gmail app if left running does the same thing as well as giving you access to your entire gmail account (though it doesn't do HTML IIRC).

I'd imagine its probably the same for the various twitter apps.

You don't have to go to the sites to get notifications of updates, those apps tell you when updates occur.
    12-21-09 06:00 AM
    The Facebook app (as long as you have the registered email attached to your Blackberry account) offers push notification of new messages/updates.

The gmail app if left running does the same thing as well as giving you access to your entire gmail account (though it doesn't do HTML IIRC).

I'd imagine its probably the same for the various twitter apps.

You don't have to go to the sites to get notifications of updates, those apps tell you when updates occur.
    Correct. And that is exactly the beauty of a blackberry.
    12-21-09 06:18 AM
    Having the Twitter app allows near tabbed functions in the browser. One can browse and keep the Twitter app open for posting or other contacts at the same time. The instant update functions are the key to Twitter apps.
    12-21-09 07:04 AM
    Push notifications is the essence of BB. We don't really go to websites unless necessary.
    12-21-09 09:12 AM
    Well...DUH!!!...*slaps forehead*...that IS why I went with BB. Live and loin. Now if only the FB app would show my pic instead of that broken link icon...

Thanks so very much, folks. Merry Christmas!!!

Blessings...
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve54; 12-21-09 at 09:35 AM.
    12-21-09 09:33 AM
    Advanced Search is a wonderful thing.

That aside, the convenience of using a Twitter / FB / other app to update social networking sites is a major reason for downloading them. There are a variety of them with different functions to choose from. Personally, I don't read my Twitter feed until after I'm at home, but I like to tweet during the day because it's like a way to remind myself of the goings on / things I need to do (calendar is great, but I'm not always looking at my BB either). Therefore, I use LittleChirp solely to update. I don't use Facebook's app, because it goes back to personal need - I don't need it when I can look at it on the computer at home (and I don't use FB for anything other than a resume supplement).

It's need vs want when it comes to apps - what works for you vs what doesn't.
    12-21-09 09:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD