Hey.

I noticed that in some of the PB demo videos that there is a FB app. What's the point of this? I mean, if we can experience the full web, why have an app for FB? Wouldn't it be easier to open the browser and click on a bookmark??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-10 11:15 AM
    I'm going to guess that it would be there to handle notifications much like on your BB.
    11-17-10 11:24 AM
    I agree with acwyau.

Maybe its also just a launcher... we wont know until we see more.

It is nice to see a FB app on QNX though, promises further integration for QNX on handsets and shows they are working on bringing QNX to a wider range of products.
    11-17-10 11:27 AM
    In the most recent "in the wild" video, you can see what looks like the BT light lit up. Perhaps the PB in the video was linked via Secure BT to a handheld and the icon came from the handheld.......

We just don't know yet....for sure....
    11-17-10 11:34 AM
    In the most recent "in the wild" video, you can see what looks like the BT light lit up. Perhaps the PB in the video was linked via Secure BT to a handheld and the icon came from the handheld.......

We just don't know yet....for sure....
    It's a safe assumption that just having an app on your BB doesn't mean that it's on the PlayBook. While a remote control VNC-style system would be possible, the user experience would be so horrible I'm certain they're not going to include it. The screen's the wrong size, the wrong aspect ratio, and most BB apps aren't designed for touch only. How would you press the BB button or the back button? Even if they fixed that, apps for non-touch BBs generally don't support responding to touch events.
    11-17-10 12:20 PM
    Even if the full web on the PlayBook works flawlessly, I wouldn't want to use the full version of the Facebook site on it. The full Facebook site has too many links, buttons, and other on-screen clutter that would be simply too small for the fingers on anything smaller than a 12" or 13" screen.

I do find it a bit odd that there is a Facebook app on the PlayBook, given Mark Zuckerberg's recent dismissiveness of the iPad as a mobile platform requiring its own Facebook app. ("The iPad's not mobile. Next question.")
    11-18-10 01:51 AM
    I do find it a bit odd that there is a Facebook app on the PlayBook, given Mark Zuckerberg's recent dismissiveness of the iPad as a mobile platform requiring its own Facebook app. ("The iPad's not mobile. Next question.")
    You can toss the playbook into a purse. 'nuff said.
    11-18-10 09:01 AM
    You can toss the playbook into a purse. 'nuff said.
    Have you seen women's purses these days? They could probably carry 13" laptops in them if they wanted to. Or they're so small you can't carry much more than a Tic Tac.

But in any event, I didn't get the sense that Zuckerberg's dismissal of the iPad was based on size. Eric Tseng (Facebook's top mobile guy) also made comments suggesting that Facebook was working on a different strategy for tablets as a whole.
    11-18-10 12:15 PM
    I don't want the full FB website on a 7" screen. Kinda like how I would prefer the NYTimes app rather than the full website on the iPad.
    11-19-10 03:26 AM
    Why WOULDN'T there be a facebook app
    The question we should be asking is, is it better than the current RIM facebook app? I doubt it, but I hope so.
    11-19-10 04:58 PM
    I like the thought of getting notifications like a BB, but I'm also thinking- If there's an app made for QNX on the PlayBook, then there is already a FB app for a BB handheld running QNX. Thinking ahead is all....
    11-19-10 05:53 PM
    I can see why there would be a FB for the 3G/4G models of the PB, but the WiFi?? I dunno... I don't really see a point. I'm totally on Balsillie's side when he rejects the "appification" of the web??? In terms of notifications, well...that's why I have my BB FB app. But if I'm on my PB, I'd rather take advantage of its web capabilities and just go on the regular site. Isn't that what most apps try and do anyway - mimic the original website as best as possible?
    11-20-10 07:26 AM
    I like the thought of getting notifications like a BB, but I'm also thinking- If there's an app made for QNX on the PlayBook, then there is already a FB app for a BB handheld running QNX. Thinking ahead is all....
    Not necessarily. One of the perks of running QNX is that it can run any of the already made BB apps, so its actually running the java Facebook app, not QNX. At least that's the way I interpreted it.
    11-20-10 07:59 AM
    i have no idea... seems useless but that's just me.
    11-20-10 11:04 AM
    I think apps like FB are better served on phones because of formatting issues for phones. Their screens are smaller. On a tab, it would make sense to try and get a full-blown facebook experience in front of them. If the app allows playing games within, then putting an app, that's customized for a given screen, or device, won't be far fetched.
    11-20-10 11:23 AM
    I don't see why there wouldn't be a FB app... I can use Safari for FB but I like the app. Shouldn't we be allowed to choose? If there wasn't an app there would be an uproar, yet you're complaining that there IS an app. I don't get it haha

11-20-10 03:38 PM
    I don't see why there wouldn't be a FB app... I can use Safari for FB but I like the app. Shouldn't we be allowed to choose? If there wasn't an app there would be an uproar, yet you're complaining that there IS an app. I don't get it haha

IMO, it just seems pointless. Why have a dumbed-down version of a website when on my PB I can fully experience it as if I were on my laptop/computer?

If it provides chat capabilities or notifications, then maybe. But I'd rather have the FB app for my phone and access the actualy FB site on my PB.
    11-20-10 04:39 PM
    IMO, it just seems pointless. Why have a dumbed-down version of a website when on my PB I can fully experience it as if I were on my laptop/computer?

If it provides chat capabilities or notifications, then maybe. But I'd rather have the FB app for my phone and access the actualy FB site on my PB.

Why have RSS readers on your computer?

I would use a facebook app if designed right, to get content from the site to you without the useless changes and poor UI design of the website, might be nice to have Chat too, but I don't need or want images pushed to me, I'd rather call on them if I want them.
    11-20-10 05:04 PM
    For all the PB/iPad comparisons, remember who makes iOS FB app and who makes BB facebook apps...Facebook developed the iPhone app while RIM developed the BB app.

11-20-10 05:45 PM
    You all bicker all you like about the FB app--I must be the ONLY person in the galaxy that doesn't have a FB account.
    11-20-10 06:34 PM
    You all bicker all you like about the FB app--I must be the ONLY person in the galaxy that doesn't have a FB account.
    Make that the ONLY OTHER person....
    11-21-10 01:30 AM
    I resisted,
    and don't really use it, but family pressure about missing events such as Christmas because I wasn't part of the facebook message was causing more grief than just registering and accessing from my BB when ever an even was planned,

Probably why I would want an app, I don't play games, I don't look at peoples pictures, I don't care what games people are playing, basically it is a family inbox/social organizer that is just plain a pain in the rear
    11-21-10 06:13 AM

Exactly my sentiment..the application is there and it is up to you to download it ot not..yet people complains why it is there...

11-21-10 07:24 AM
    I resisted,
    and don't really use it, but family pressure about missing events such as Christmas because I wasn't part of the facebook message was causing more grief than just registering and accessing from my BB when ever an even was planned,

Probably why I would want an app, I don't play games, I don't look at peoples pictures, I don't care what games people are playing, basically it is a family inbox/social organizer that is just plain a pain in the rear
    My wife uses FB several times a day to keep in touch, so she tells me any family news she thinks I might be interested in.
    11-21-10 10:13 AM
    My wife uses FB several times a day to keep in touch, so she tells me any family news she thinks I might be interested in.
    I'm jealous!...
    11-21-10 12:06 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD