It fluctuates between like 5mb and at most 23mb, all depending on how much I have used it since doing a quickpull... but I just read some dude's post about optimizing your BB and this guy says my Storm will be noticably slow when the app memory dips below 44mb. I have never seen it that high, even when it was brand new (it's a Storm 9530, had it for 3 months).

So why is my application memory always so low? Or is this dude just a jack?
    04-16-09 08:57 PM
    after BP mine has +45 Mb... maybe you have too much **** installed.
    04-16-09 09:00 PM
    The "dude" is not a "jack". Ha ha ha!

When I restart my phone, I usually start with 46, and by the end of the day, it is only down to about 40 or 36.

It all depends on what you have installed on your phone.

There are many things you can take off your phone if you don't use them (extra languages, apps, etc.) that will increase your app memory.

There are a lot of threads in the forums that can help you do that.

Do a search for "app memory" or something of that nature.
    04-16-09 09:00 PM
    It fluctuates between like 5mb and at most 23mb, all depending on how much I have used it since doing a quickpull... but I just read some dude's post about optimizing your BB and this guy says my Storm will be noticably slow when the app memory dips below 44mb. I have never seen it that high, even when it was brand new (it's a Storm 9530, had it for 3 months).

So why is my application memory always so low? Or is this dude just a jack?
    List the apps you have installed.......
    04-16-09 09:01 PM
    I took all the extra languages off already. here are my current apps:

AP News
    Bloomberg
    Google Maps
    Viigo
    Facebook
    GChat
    Poynt
    Weatherbug
    Level
    Bank of America
    Pandora
    IStockManager
    App World
    TicketMaster
    Visible Vote
    YouTube
    Lights Out
    Quickpull
    MoleWord
    BrickBreaker
    all the other crap that came on a Storm.

Damn... is this a lot? But I swear I don't remember it ever going above 23mb...

Oh, I also have 3 emails hooked up to it, if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by blouns; 04-16-09 at 09:11 PM.
    04-16-09 09:07 PM
    It looks like alot to me, Facebook eats memory.
    04-16-09 09:10 PM
    Yes... that's quite a bit of stuff!

Do you make sure that you fully exit everything when you're done using it? A few of those have been known to give some people significant memory leaks, too.
    it's quite a bit :} i have 6-7 apps installed..
    What OS are you running? I am on a slimmed down .122 hybrid and I hit a low of 32ish and a high of 48ish and usually average 40ish during the day
    04-16-09 09:11 PM
    Yes... that's quite a bit of stuff!

Do you make sure that you fully exit everything when you're done using it? A few of those have been known to give some people significant memory leaks, too.
    I was gonna say that too about fully exiting a app when done, Good tip
    04-16-09 09:13 PM
    I make sure I exit out of everything except G Chat... maybe thats why? G Chat and the other "always running" apps that I cant exit out of are the only ones I keep running.

It never says Facebook is running, but I guess it is? How do I tell except by holding the blackberry button?

What in God's name are you talking about a slimmed down 32ish .122 19 hybrid or whatever you said... ?
    Last edited by blouns; 04-16-09 at 09:16 PM.
    04-16-09 09:14 PM
    I make sure I exit out of everything except G Chat... maybe thats why? G Chat and the other "always running" apps that I cant exit out of are the only ones I keep running.

It never says Facebook is running, but I guess it is? How do I tell except by holding the blackberry button?

What in God's name are you talking about a slimmed down 32 8 19 hybrid or what?
    As long as you exit out of Facebook, and it doesn't show when you hold down the BB button, then it's not "running". Facebook gives me no issues on my phone. The only one I have noticed that will reduce my memory when being used is Viigo. For me, it's not an issue because I start out with so much free memory to begin with, but for someone like you who only starts at 20, it could be an issue. I think it really depends on the phone. Also, someone on here mentioned once that a memory leak could be due to the way different apps/themes interact with each other.
    04-16-09 09:17 PM
    I had Facebook for a week installed but then i figured i don't really need it. I just bookmark it. Maybe you should think about erasing it, personal opinion.
    04-16-09 09:17 PM
    I never leave anything running except G Chat.

Any other ideas? Could it be that I have all those apps on the home screen instead of in folders, or does that make no difference?

I'm not uninstalling FaceBook.
    04-16-09 09:20 PM
    ...and we didn't even ask you about themes...

Themes are also stored in the app memory of the phone, and some themes have caused people memory issues, too. Do you have any themes installed on your phone, in addition to all of those apps?
    04-16-09 09:21 PM
    Good call!!!, Forget about problem themes!
    04-16-09 09:23 PM
    No themes.

And my memory card is 7.3 GB free out of 7.3 GB. Device memory is 874.7mb free out of 879.2mb
    04-16-09 09:24 PM
    I never leave anything running except G Chat.

Any other ideas? Could it be that I have all those apps on the home screen instead of in folders, or does that make no difference?

I'm not uninstalling FaceBook.
    It has been said that organizing apps into folders may make the phone run more smoothly (I don't know how true that is), but it shouldn't affect your app memory. If the apps are on your phone, they're using up app memory--it doesn't matter what folder they are in.
    04-16-09 09:25 PM
    04-16-09 09:25 PM

What in God's name are you talking about a slimmed down 32ish .122 19 hybrid or whatever you said... ?
    I'm running a hybrid OS, search for "bbcrackman v3.5". It's a leaked OS that is modified with different leaked OS files, plus it's slimmed to remove any excess files I don't need/use.

With the hybrid, I start around 48mb, average around 40mb during the day, and hit a low around 32mb.

I have 1 theme and am running:
    Accelerometer Demo
    Aces Texas Hold'Em - No Limit
    AutoLock
    BBTran
    I Bee Fart
    BB Maps
    Bolt
    BubbleWrap
    BuzzMe
    Easy Button
    Google Maps
    iheartradio
    Nintaii
    Poynt
    QuickLaunch
    QuickPull
    Storm Level Pro
    WeatherBug
    Youtube
    04-16-09 09:26 PM
    goodson, that is the thread I initially read that made me question my low app memory. I did everything he suggested (except for erasing all of my apps and only installing what he has installed), and I still have app memory below 20mb.

So thanks for that wonderful contribution.
    04-16-09 09:27 PM
    I hate to say it, but if you have a memory leak, the best way to figure out which app is causing it is to remove them all from your phone, and then add them one by one... give each app a couple of days on your phone and see if it is causing "major memory loss". This is probably the best way of figuring it out.

As far as how much memory you have on start up, I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that you will never see it at 46 with all of those apps installed. I could be wrong, though. Maybe someone will add to the conversation and prove me wrong.

EDIT: And someone did that two posts up! Good stuff!
    04-16-09 09:28 PM
    04-16-09 09:34 PM
    I have 10 apps on my phone and I just did a quickpull and I am at 22.7MB. Any ideas why mine seems to be less than everyone else. I have...

Viigo
    Poynt
    Weather Eye
    Google Maps
    The Missing Sync
    FMyLife
    Orioles.com (shortcut)
    I Heart Radio
    Parking Lot
    GMail
    04-16-09 09:42 PM
    I have 10 apps on my phone and I just did a quickpull and I am at 22.7MB. Any ideas why mine seems to be less than everyone else. I have...

Viigo
    Poynt
    Weather Eye
    Google Maps
    The Missing Sync
    FMyLife
    Orioles.com (shortcut)
    I Heart Radio
    Parking Lot
    GMail
    what else -RIM apps- did you install, maybe a bunch of languages, visual voicemail, etc.)
    04-16-09 09:47 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD